1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New President of the SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Jun 13, 2006.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think the big next question to see how the ensconched leadership responds is how often Dr. Page will be asked to speak at seminaries and how he will be received by those supporting other candidates.

2. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something interesting I read about two of the "kingmakers"--Patterson and Pressler (I saw this while reading baptistpress.org and abpnews.com late last night):
    Patterson endorsed Floyd, and Pressler endorsed Sutton. I wonder if that is enough evidence that the "good-ole-boy" network of the past 20 years or so is cracking.

3. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

Not having grown up, nor having been around SBC circles for very long, I don't know much about Dr. Page. Could someone give me a quick bio/history?

Thanks!

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

edited/error

5. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Then you've read A Hill on Which to Die and disagree with the information therein?

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Rhet posted this in another thread and it gives you some background on Dr. Page:

Dr. Frank S. Page, Pastor, grew up in Greensboro, North Carolina. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Gardner Webb University in Psychology, with minors in Sociology and Greek. He holds a Master of Divinity and Ph.D. degree from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has served churches in Texas, North Carolina, Georgia and now in South Carolina. He is married to Dayle, and has three daughters, Melissa, Laura, and Allison.
    "My greatest passion is to lead people to a love relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. I strongly believe that pastoral leadership leads people to this love in a deepening walk of discipleship and ministry. I also believe that being a pastor leads people to evangelism where others are brought to that very same love. I am passionate about leadership, equipping, and encouraging others. I have felt since the age of four that God wanted me to be a minister of the Gospel and have attempted to be faithful to that calling since that time."

7. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

Thanks, PastorSBC. I hadn't heard of him until recently.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have scanned through it, but I have not read it. I don't want to purchase it and put money in Pressler's pocket. If I can find "A Hill on Which to Die" in a used bookstore, I'll probably pick it up to familiarize myself with the specific content.

But it seemed to be the same stuff Pressler and Patterson have been saying for years... and I've heard that and know that much of what they have said is untrue or exaggerated. I used to believe them until I got to know some of the people they have demonized.

I don't think Pressler is a credible person based on what he has said and done.

9. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Amazon has used copies for 5.00 but then if you're not going to believe what he wrote.......

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

My view, plus 50 cents, will get you a coke here...

I have read the book completely. Pressler's cause was valid IMO, but his methodology was often abrasive, and he has been guilty of character assassination and backstabbing.

I wish that the conservative resurgence would have had another driving force other than Pressler. He is wayyyy too political for my tastes.

Doing the right thing the wrong way is wrong.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm willing to listen, but I won't automatically accept anything he says.

I have known too many heavy-hitters involved in the so-called "conservative resurgence" and have some personal experience with some of the major events and persons who have been vilified by the Patterson/Pressler political machine.

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Lying is not a fruit of the Spirit.

I think Patterson and Pressler had some valid concerns, but the way they addressed their concerns was completely unChristian and damaged and split the body of Christ in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Many good and innocent people had their names and ministries dragged through the mud in the name of "the cause." I know a number of people who have been harassed and threatened in one way or another because they didn't walk in lock-step to the Patterson/Pressler political machine out of Christian conviction.

Yep, I agree. Except I don't think it was the right thing.

13. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just got back from the convention. There is a new day coming in the SBC.

But for me the best was that issue were discussed passionately but without as much rancor as 25 years ago.

For those who are interested in Calvinism, the debate between Dr. Mohler and Dr. Patterson was terrific. I'm not sure if it is online. It was a debate between friends, not an arguement.

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Tom,

since you were at the convention, did you see my son? He was with a group from SWBTS portraying William Cary, Lottie Moon, and the Judsons. There were in something similar to a booth and performed 21 times. There was a longshoreman named Gabriel interacting with them. Just curious??

Bitsy

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure I did see him! They did a great job.:thumbs:

16. ehaase

ehaase New Member

I believe that one major reason why Dr. Page won the presidency is the low percentage of giving to the Cooperative Program by the churches of the two other candidates. I'm not certain that doctrine, methodology, or the good old boy network had much to do with the results.

17. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

My vote went to Dr. Page because his church supports the Cooperative Program :thumbs: ... and they had been all along.

God Bless