1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Scofield study Bible

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I guess this is for everybody. I have used the New Scofield for years. Actually I used it for a couple of years before I realized it was not a KJV Bible.And I was going to an IFB church.Now my Question is; how does the New scofield stack up as a Bible tranlation in general, and in comparison to the KJV.

2. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

The NSRB is a KJV with archaic or confusing words changed to modern equivalents. The changes are placed in brackets [] with the original KJV reading in the margin. It is a pretty good bible. Many of the Scofield notes have been updated and expanded and the heretical "gap theory" has been removed from the note on Genesis Chapter 1, but is still there in the note on Isaiah 45:18.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found that most true blue Scofield folks don't really care for it. Not being dispensational I really don't have much use for it. If I was going to buy a dispensational study bible I would look toward either Ryrie or Mac Arthur. Much better scholarship from both of these men.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear skanwmatos, thankyou very much for your reply.I have read your remarks on several message boards and you always come across very well.

Dear go2church, have you read the ryrie or macarther study bibles? I have read the Ryrie and like it . But the New Scofield is what I prefer for the reasons skanwmatos explained.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm an "old" codger, and enjoy the "old" Scofield only! The New one has changed notes seriously (glad to get rid of the gap nonsense) but added MORE problems.

For example, it refers to the Lord's Supper/Baptism as "sacraments". This is anathema to ANY fundamentalist (who comprise the major market).

That and the changes from the KJV eliminate the "only" crowd. So a tough sell, for certain sure.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Own a Ryrie and have a preview copy of MacArthur with Ruth and 1 and 2 Thessalonians. Ryrie is available in amost every translation where as the MacArthur bible is NKJV only (Nelson is the puslisher, so that figures). Either one is going to be better then the Scofield (IMO) Would lean towards the Ryrie because I could get in NASB, ESV not probably going to happen for Ryrie, Maybe if the stars line up for MacArthur.

7. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

That awful note on Acts 8:12!

"Baptism has, since the apostolic age, been practiced by every major group in the Christian church and, in Protestant communions, is recognized as one of two sacraments - the other being the Lord's Supper. Since early in the Church's history three different modes of baptism have been used: aspersion (sprinkling); affusion (pouring); and immersion (dipping)."

But, hey! The notes aren't inspired! Just ignore the ones you don't like! :D

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I've never used either Scofield. Part of the reason is my over reactionary attitude to being told "If you have a REAL Bible turn to page ___". The real Bible of course being Old Scofield. :D

My wife has used an Old Scofield for years so I do look at it now and then to get ideas and thoughts.

9. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I've loved the Sco Bible for years...mostly because of tradition and familarity (spell?)-where have I heard that before? Skan is 100% accurate about the NSRB. One think I do not like about it, although it's understandable..is it calls the fourth in the furnace from Dan 3:25, "a son of God" the sidenote has the KJV rendering, interestingly, the NKJV has "The Son of God".
    When I preach/teach out of the KJV, I use the "Genuine KJV" as it says on the binding, but the notes are not from the 1917 edition, but 1998 edition. I think they're an improvement over the 1917, however, I too gawked at the footnote about 'sacrements' :eek: A few months ago, my wife bought me in my favorite version the NKJV Sco...so far so good. I even have one in the NIV that I bought back in 1986, although I'm not a big fan of that version.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had an "old Scofield" since I was first saved, 1957. On my 5th one. I can tell you WHERE a verse is on a page, even if I can't exactly remember the zip code.

And where AWFUL notes will talk about the "true" church (universal) -- which implies that my local church is ???

And where the spine will break in Genesis. And some of the looney-tune notes Cyrus stuck in on the gap!

But as a pre-trib dispensationalist the Scofield is familiar and like the back of my hand. I still struggle to find passages in my MacArthur NKJV.

Too bad BOTH of these - Scofield and MacArthur - don't use a good English text based on the BEST Greek! :D

11. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

They did! :rolleyes: