1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Teen "Bibles"

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by UnashamedYouth, Jul 7, 2004.

1. UnashamedYouth

UnashamedYouth New Member

Have you seen them? There's a female version and a male version... and they are wanna be "Teen Magazine" and "Skater Boi" looking... they've made the Bible into a teen magazine!!!!

what do you all think? I think we're getting too much like the world.... UGH

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

3. J4KC35

J4KC35 New Member

I guess if it gets teenagers to believe, then why not? As long as it isn't TOO extreme.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mind when publications try to relate the Bible to teens; however, I feel that turning the whole New Testament into a teen magazine may be a bit excessive. Besides, some of the things in these publications are not directly related to the Bible.

Music reviews?? Beauty secrets??

Such things are perfectly fine in an independent magazine, but these things seem to come dangerously close to overshadowing the message of the Bible. These publications seem to be borderline irreverent.

5. Blazin4Christ

Blazin4Christ New Member

the Bible is sacred, it should not be mixed with such things,

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

For one thing the NT NCV has just put interesting articles in with the Bible. NCV is not a new radicle version it was released in the 70's I believe and is backed by Billy Graham. I don't know what he thinks about the Mag. Versions. That said you can buy the NCV in traditional form (leather, hardback, softcover,) OT & NT.

7. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I thought we were going to avoid the KJV only thing on this thread . . .

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This is probably the 3rd or 4th thread on this exact subject. I went to my bookstore, and took a look at these for myself. They're great tools. I purchased two, one for each of my daughters. They take them to school with them regularly, read them daily, and have loaned them out to their friends.

I recommend the revolve Bible to anyone with teen girls. I haven't yet seen the boys counterpart, so I can't comment there.

Keep in hind, however, they're NT only, not complete Bibles.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That belief is based on them not being KJV texts, an arguement which is irrelevant to this thread.

11. Molly

Molly New Member

It is an example of dumbing things down to replace a true love for God...it is saying,we know God's Word is not attractive enough on its own,so we are going to make it more cool. I guess God needs man to add some more exciting things to His Word...totally negates the sufficiency of scripture.

I showed them to my older girls(9 and 12) from this thread,just to get their reaction. They both said yuck! What does skateboarding have to do with living godly???

I do not like them at all.

12. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Give me a break Johnv, this does not even have to be a KJBO thing to recognize that those "magazines" are not God's word.

In the "Refuel" mag it says on page 55 - "Don’t leave the seat down—or the lid up when you’re done." or page 88 - "Don’t pick your nose in public. or Don’t ever pick your friends nose." That is blasphemy strait from the pits of hell. They make fun of God's word. Sad to say Thomas Nelson Publishers, one of the largest Christian publishers on the planet, published this trash. And yes, it is trash, the way people take God's word and do with it what they will, that is trashy. May God have mercy on their soul.

God bless
    R&R

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Less than respectful? Possibly

Blasphemy???? I don't quite see how.

Also, they are not making fun of God's word. The things you quoted say absolutely nothing about scripture.

14. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Exactly StefanM some of the articles have nothing to do with Scripture there trying to help teens know polite manners and morale codes and this is important. This is sorta of a Commentary and Book put with the Bible a sort of combination. Again the NCV is a very respected translation of the Bible.

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have nothing against the NCV, though I would personally prefer other translations. (But I'm a formal equivalence freak [​IMG] )

That the articles in there can be of benefit I concede, but I still cannot give my endorsement to these magazines without reservation. I do believe that God can use these NTs for his will, and I imagine that he is actively doing so now.

However, I cringe when I think of the Biblical text being marketed in such a manner because I feel that the issues addressed in the these publications could be more appropriately addressed in separate publications.

In the end, the issue is not whether or not the publications are "wrong" because I feel they are not. At worst, they are less than tactful.

So long as they are not going against the scripture, these publications cannot be called blasphemous under any reasonable standard.

16. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

If you want to put that kind of stuff in a magazine, then so be it, but do not call it the bible. The bible is from God. That is not. If you say it is then you violate scripture.

Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This is not the case at all. Your assessment is based on judging the book by the cover, literally.
    If you've actually read them, which, in regards to "Revolve", I have, you'll find that they're bible commentaries. My own NKJV has tons of bible commentaries. The commentaries containes in "Revolve" are quite biblically appropriate. I know because I was skeptical, but read through them thoroughly before giving them to my daughters. They are not, in any way, remotely close to the pits of Hell.

No one is saying that Bible commentaries are scripture. However, you can't categorically condemn these NT editions for their Bible commentary unless you condemn every bible that has a bible commentary. Again, I've read through "Revolve", in depth. I would recommend Revolve to anyone with teen girls. I have not yet read "Refuel", but see no reason not to recommend it to teen boys.

Now, if someone has an issue with only the NT being includes, or has an issue with scriptural commentaries in general, then at least that concern is understandable.

18. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Well you don't think the devil is stupid enough to say this is from him do ya? The devil will give enough line to hook ya and then, snap, your hooked.
    Please, most commentaries are there to give you ideas/explanations about the scripture, basically, what that author thought. Telling you to not pick your friends nose is a waste of ink and paper.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's the same meaningless drivel that KJVO's use to debate non-KJVO bibles. What the Devil does is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. As a person who has looked into this myself, I can tell you from first hand account that the Revolve bible does not remotely resemble the picture you're painting. I would recommend it to any parent with teenage girls.
    Clearly, you haven't read the commentary in question. You are making a determination based on the topic title. If the sermon topic on Sunday were entitled "Picking your friend's nose", would you automatically disacount it? No, you'd listen to the sermon to find out what the pastor is talking about.

BTW, I will assume that you've neer heard the line "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose", which is a way of saying "you can't change people, they have to change themselves". If you knew what it meant, then you wouldn't be making a snap judgement about something with which you clearly have no knowlege, or desire to research. You're judging a book by its cover, rather than its content.

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Do you believe that the devil is moving today? In what way? The bible has a way, 2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
    15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
    If he will have ministers, don't you think he will have deacons, assist pastors, song books, BIBLES.? Don't you think these things are here today? If not, when?
    Since that would never happen, I'm save. But, if it did, I trust my pastor enough that I would listen to see if it was biblical and from the Holy Spirit, if not, no I would excuse myself to the restroom.
    Yes, I have heard it before. But, to put it in the bible, that is not right(in my book).