1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New version: The Accurate New Testament (TANT)

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Feb 12, 2010.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I discovered this version several months ago but never reported it on the BB. It can be viewed online at www.lookhigher.com. A Mark D. Harness seems to be the translator. The first edition is so extremely literal that it reads like an interlinear. His "Introduction" states in part --

A second edition is now partially complete (Gospels), but is very different (check out John 1:1!). A TANT 1st Edition can be purchased in hardcopy as well: hardback available at Lulu.com and a paperback (2009) from createspace.com is $18. The createspace website states --

Hugh Schonfield's Authentic New Testament is already known by ANT.

#1 franklinmonroe, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  2. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Here is John 1:1 from TANT
    "Joh 1:1 The word was in a beginning, and the word was with the god, and the word was a god."

I'm not even very advanced in Greek and but I come up with something a little different. :confused:

Ἐν(in) ἀρχῇ (the-beginning) ἦν(was)(the) λόγος(word), καὶ(and)(the) λόγος(Word) ἦν(was) πρὸς(with) τὸν θεόν(the-God), καὶ(and) θεὸς(God) ἦν(was) (the)λόγος (word).

my direct translation

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I make no claims to be a Greek scholar, but one of my former pastors was one.

I can recall him often stating that there is no indefinite article (the word "a") in Koine Greek. Therefore, one cannot "accurately" translate the last part of John 1:1 as "the word was a God."

While I do not know what Mark A. Harness's theological position(s) may be, his translation of this passage is not "accurate."

If I'm not mistaken, his rendition of this passage is the same as that of the Jehovah Witnesses' New World Bible.

4. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Yes, but this is from the incomplete 2nd edition; its extremely different than the 1st edition. Here is the 1st edition --
    Joh 1:1 in beginning was The Word and The Word was to the god and God was The Word
    From what I saw, it seems that he went well overboard with the indefinate articles. The second edition should not have the same name ("Accurate") as the first as it does not follow the same 'rules' of translation.

#4 franklinmonroe, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010