1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New view, or same old view?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Mar 17, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Whether one is a dispensationalist or not, the Bible is clearly dispensational. OT saints were not indwelt with the Holy Spirit...the Church is. Not all believers are "the elect". Not all of those chosen are "the elect", but all of "the elect" are chosen.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

So how is this different that what I originally said in post #13? I am not trying to trap you or anything. What I said in #13 was a good-faith interpretation of what I thought you believed. You said no, and have not given me any reason that is different than what I said in #13, which is: Election applies to Jewish believers, while it does not apply to Gentiles.

#22 Andy T., Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2007
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have basically said that no gentile has been chosen by God for any reason.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

So is this down to semantics? I think the words elect and chosen are interchangeable. I've never seen exegesis that suggests these words mean different things. So when you say that only Jewish believers are referred to as the 'elect', then how can I not conclude that you think election only applies to them and not to Gentiles? Again, I thought that was a fair assessment of your view on election. I wasn't trying to stir anything up.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since Judas and Pharaoh were chosen by God, are they "the elect" then? If they are interchangeable, as you say, the answer has to be yes.

A classification of a group of people (the elect) is plainly different than simply interchanging the words elect and chosen. God has a remnant of angels He refers to as "elect" as well as humans (His chosen people...the "of Israel" group, "the elect"...
    Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel, who are of Israel:

#25 webdog, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2007
  6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Well of course the words elect and chosen can have different objects, but the words themselves still mean essentially the same thing. (I'm thinking of them as verbs.) When they are used as nouns, the words elect or chosen are only used to denote God's people or his angels.

You know, after several posts, I have no clearer picture as to what you believe about election. Maybe I'm just slow. Maybe you don't care (either that I'm slow or that you have not clearly communicated). But it might be helpful if you posted a summary of your view on election.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There was a thread going a little while ago where this was all outlined. I will see if I can go back and search for the link.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This caught my eye. You are correct here. Now the key is to see which of God's people are being referred to in context when that phrase "the elect" is used.

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This is unreal. :)

As I have said..I have read your links.

Now I ask again...for the last time, for it is clear you do not want to answer this have asked many times, and you dodge each time.

Under "U" from the links.....please look at these quotes..

QUOTE 1

QUOTE 2 <<< the new view

Do you agree with both?

Do you disagree with both?

If one is right, and the other wrong, why is one wrong and the other right?

I have never had such a hard time, getting someone to share their faith.

What do you believe? These are your links...why do you not want to talk about them???

Addressing th OP would be nice.
    Thanks...

In Christ..James

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure you already know what I believe about this. I don't know why you are acting like you don't. I don't believe the above because of the highlighted. You know my stance on the whole "looking into the future" scenario.
    Some aspects of the free grace perspective I agree with, and some I don't. The highlighted I agree with.

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

If i knew what your doctrine was, I would not ask.

So you disagree with the time factor..."looking into the future".
    This leads me to ask...
    Do you agree with the free grace view of why a person is elected by God?

If you disagree...then please share your views, for understanding

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't understand your question. We are all "elected" for salvation according to Ephesians 2:8-9. I haven't seen anything from the free grace perspective that disagrees with this.