1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News: Evangelist Pat Robertson has prostate cancer

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jeremiah, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

I am not a fan of Pat Robertson's,(nor any televangelist really) but having lost a Dad to lung/bone cancer, I can certainly say that cancer is a horrible illness. I wish it on no one. I do believe that laying on of hands is something that can still work. The people from my former Pentecostal Church were into this more than any other church group I was ever involved in. However, they did not forego medical treatment in lieu of this kind of healing. I think God uses doctors to heal. I'm convinced of that. I think a person should do all that they can to be healed and then if that doesn't work, you are left little choice other than to pray.

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it's very funny to make jokes about someone with cancer. Whether you like the man or not, he is STILL a man of God.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Howdy Sue,

Well I didin't mean to stirr up a hornet's nest on this one I just wondered why Pat wasn't/isn't healed? I mean I admit I have watched the 700 Club at times and been sitting looking at the screen wondering if someone is getting healed or not.

I just don't understand why someone that claims to be a healer can not heal himself? Or why his son (another healer) can't help his father.

I apologize for any agony I have caused you with my question.

-- Jeremiah

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Same reason those dime store psychics never hit the lottery.

Joyce Meyer had breast cancer but couldn't heal herself.

Fred Price's wife very nearly died from breast cancer and he couldn't heal her.

SHAM-bach couldn't heal himself, even though he told people to put their hands on the radio and they'd be healed.

Branham couldn't heal himself.

Why doesn't Benny Hinn speak words of faith to his scalp so he doesn't have to wear that godawful toupee?

I always think it's funny that when something happens to the rank and file, it's because of a lack of faith. But when it happens to them, it's either God's will or an "attack of the enemy".

4. H.R.B.

H.R.B. New Member

Hey Mike Mck,
    Could you tell me why you don't like Pat Robertson?
    I don't watch the 700 club and would like to know what he's preaching or doing that's wrong.

sister in Christ,
    heidi

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

H.R.B.
    Well, for starters he preaches that if we have enough faith, God will heal us. Of course, we should send seed money to his ministry to show our faith. As bad as this is, one of the most outrageous thing Pat Roberson did is to build a multi-million dollar ministry off the gifts of hoodwinked listeners and then sell the network to Rupert Murdoch, owner of the Fox Network and then pocket much of the money. How despicable!

6. atestring

atestring New Member

I cannot understand the "mean spirited" attitudes I have just read toward a man that has prostate cancer.

7. Pete

Pete New Member

While unfamiliar with Mr Robertson down this way, some on the post have mentioned he is in the same camp as Mr Hinn and co. I don't think any of the posts have been "mean spirited", they just seem to be a call for Mr Robertson to "put his money where his mouth is".

I pray the bloke gets through the cancer, more importantly though, if his teaching is as far off as Mr Hinn's I pray he sorts that out.

Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. (1 Timothy 4:16 NIV)

Pete

8. atestring

atestring New Member

Titus,
    Neither Benny Hinn or Pat Robertson are critical of God using Doctors.
    Pat Robertson is in his 70's and it is not uncommon for a man his age to have prostate cancer.
    If Brother Pat were to die today he has been a real seervant of God and a pioneer of Christian television and many souls have been won to Jesus Christ because of this man. I pray that he will keep living and keep proclaiming the goodness of God.

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

First of all, I disagree with his "Kingdom now" theology, but that's a non-essential so he has the right to belive that if he wants.

My problem with him are his forays into Word of Faith false teaching and his constantly having false teachers on his show.

The Bible doesn't make a moral distinction between false teachers and those who support false teachers.

I think he abuses the gifts of the spirit by applying meanings to them that they were never supposed to have, to wit, the "word of knowledge" and the "word of wisdom".

I also have serious problems with the fact that he's given to making false prophecies.

On a lesser note, as much as I agree with him politically, I'm a little disturbed at how fuzzy he draws the lines between his politics and his religion.

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

What did anyone say that was mean spirited?

11. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

atestring,
    I was not trying to be mean-spirited. If you read my earlier post, you know that I am not glad that Pat Roberson has prostate cancer.

A question was asked as to what was wrong with the teachings of Pat Roberson. I simply answered the question. You call him a man of God. Would a man of God do the things that Roberson did? Would he sell the ministry that others built with their money and pocket the money? Would he continue to teach false doctrine?

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As this thread has gone to a third page, I am issueing the six hour warning. One of this forum's moderators will close this thread No Earlier Than 9pm Eastern/Board Time.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the landlord of the Double Eagle down the village says: