1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News: His mission isn't to 'save people,' pro-CBF Pastor Says

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Chris Temple, May 29, 2001.

1. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

His mission isn't to 'save people,' pro-CBF pastor tells
    newspaper
    By Staff
    May 29, 2001

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (BP)--A Southern Baptist pastor who identifies himself with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship told a
    Birmingham, Ala., newspaper his mission is not to see people saved and that his church will discuss the possibility of severing ties with the Southern Baptist Convention.

"My approach to mission is not to save people," said Southside Baptist Church pastor Steve Jones in a May 26 interview with The
    Birmingham News. "I don't like this 'win-them-at-all-costs'attitude."

Jones was referring to Southern Baptist efforts to share the gospel of Christ with all people, including those of the Jewish
    faith.

Jones told the newspaper he has a harsh view of current conservative leaders within the SBC and disagrees with many of the denomination's recent pronouncements, including the 1996 call to reach out to Jews.

"The whole mindset -- that Jews are lost and we need to convert them -- it's a very condescending relationship," Jones told the
    paper.

Jones said he identifies more strongly with the CBF, a 10-year old group disgruntled with the SBC. He said his church will discuss the possibility of severing ties with the SBC at a June 24 meeting.

Jones' comments on Southern Baptists came during a story about Southside embracing a Jewish congregation in search of a temporary worship site.

Temple Emanu-El, a Reform Jewish temple, will hold services at Southside during a 14-month renovation project. The two congregations celebrated the Jewish festival of Shavuot --
    commemorating Moses receiving the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai and God's gift of the Torah to the Jewish people.

Temple Emanu-El Rabbi Jonathan Miller told The Birmingham News he's never heard of Baptists and Jews worshiping together.

"It's very significant," he told the newspaper. "It really will be a joint worship service."

Miller said he was originally leery of sharing a Baptist church.

"For our members there was a bit of fear -- that they'll want to convert us, they won't respect us, that they'll proselytize us,"
    Miller told the paper. "We believe there are many ways to get to God. Christians have a true view of God; Muslims have a true
    view of God; Jews have a uniquely Jewish view of God that we believe is true for us."

A spokesperson for the CBF declined comment to Baptist Press May 28.
    --30--

Copyright (c) 2001 Southern Baptist Convention, Baptist Press
    901 Commerce Street
    Nashville, TN 37203
    Tel: 615.244.2355
    Fax: 615.782.8736
    email: [email protected]

[ February 26, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: The Squire ]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At first I assumed that this had been ripped from its context, since I have not known any SBC pastor to hold such a position. Then I noted the exact quotation: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Miller told the paper. "We believe there are many ways to get to God. Christians have a true view of God; Muslims have a true view of God; Jews have a uniquely Jewish view of God<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This bothers me, brethren. It is almost verbatim from a discussion with an American Baptist pastor I had 2 years ago. She said that she was no longer concerned with sharing the Gospel, as each would be "saved" according to their own belief system. Think I will stick with <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    At first I assumed that this had been ripped from its context, since I have not known any SBC pastor to hold such a position. Then I noted the exact quotation: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dr. Bob:

Count yourself blessed to be unfamiliar with the CBF. This is very common from that crowd.

:(

4. Santa

Santa Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dr. Bob you assume Jesus and God are manifested in only one being. I believe God is manifested in love whether it is Buudha, Allah or merely a good heart.

5. Ars

Ars New Member

If I may borrow a quote I read. It goes like this "If you are a Baptist be true to the Bible doctrine they have treasured through the years. If you are not, please be honest enough to drop the name." It is a sad state of affairs when these so-called "Baptists" make such a mockery of the Bible that we hold so dear!

Dave

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Read this and be warned<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I am willing to tolerate the differences of opinion that good men have on a variety of subjects. However, I will not tolerate rank heresy on a forum I moderate.
    Hence, with Santa's posting I am locking this thread.

In His service,
    Squire Keith Robertsson of Lower Duxis Abbey
    Justice of His Grace's Peace

What you won't contend for you will ultimately loose.