1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News: Missionaries who refused are fired

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Sherrie, May 8, 2003.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

EDITOR'S NOTE

By ABP staff

Trustees of the Southern Baptist International Mission Board took action May 8 to fire misionaries who refused to affirm the 2000 "Baptist Faith and Message." At press time, the number of terminations was not available. A story will be issued by ABP as soon as more information is available.

Sherrie

[ May 29, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sounds good to me!

Diane

3. ezrider

ezrider New Member

sorry didn't read it all.....

4. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I know a lot of people have a problem with this part of the Baptist Faith and Message as well as the part about no women preachers... I still support the SBC termination of any missionary funded by and working through them who doesn't agree with the Baptist Faith and Message.

6. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Here is the press release.....note how many have left the IMB.

web page

7. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I know this feels bad but.... If a church is supporting missionaries, don't they expect them to teach and believe the same faith statement? Why should the mission board be any different? SBC churches support our missionaries through the mission board and rely on the board to administer our missionaries. If they do not agree with our statement of faith and message, then perhaps they need to find a church or group who they agree with to support them.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

ONE PERCENT: 1% of 5,500 missionaries

If this were a company, anyone who did not believe in the corporate statement or company policy would be fired. I agree that these missionaries should find a local church or another denomination that more closely fits their beliefs. I would not want my church donations going to someone who did not preach the gospel as I believe it is to be taught.

Diane

[ May 09, 2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

9. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Sorry did not know it was already posted. So I removed it.

Sherrie

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. atestring

atestring New Member

What would "Lottie Moon" think about all of this?

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

$125 MILLION DOLLARS is raised each year at Christmas in memory of this missionary who starved to death instead of buying foods for herself.

I would like to think that she would want a Baptist Missionary to support the Baptist beliefs or find another support system.

Remember, out of the 34 or so who were terminated, it was closer to 17 couples.... husband and wife. Look at the list.

Diane

13. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

atestring.....I truly think she would be saddened. Thats what I think.

Sherrie

14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if she would have signed. Lottie Moon had disagreements with SBC missionary policies, including the role of women in missions. Whether that would outweigh her love for the Chinese people, I don't know.

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well they didn't tell us that in G.A.'s all those years ago but I sure do remember how she died of starvation on Christmas Eve because she would not eat if her 'people' could not eat.

I'm SBC all the way and believe the SBC statement of faith is supported by scripture. I am one who feels that those churches that do not fully endorse the SBC statement should join General Conventions.

Women should not be threatened by God's plans for their lives!

Again, this is approximately 17 couples out of 5,500 missionaries. Minimal number.

And that and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee downtown so take it for what it's worth to you. Just my opinion..... :eek:

Diane

16. bobfrgsn

bobfrgsn New Member

I cannot believe that SBC church have supported these missionaries for over 20 years without any question and then the leadership revises the BFM and makes it mandetory for all personel ... the majority of churches within the SBC have not officially adopted this creed ... Read this link to get some insite into the struggle of at least one couple ... a couple you have been supporting with you Lottie Moon and CP dollars. No one will ever know but I am willing to bet that Lottie Moon would be among those being fired were she alive today as well as Miss Alma Hunt were she not already retired.

http://www.mainstreambaptists.org/dixons.htm

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Lottie Moon or anyone can't obey the terms of employment when they are clearly laid out for them, they must go. But they shouldn't have to be fired; they should simply be courteous enough to leave.

18. atestring

atestring New Member

If Lottie Moon were alive today I honestly believe that she would be a missionary and willing to sacrifice and lay down her life for the sake of the gospel. She would not however be able to be Southern Baptist with the new politics and the forcing of autonomous churches to adhere to the power struggle for political power of a few that think they are in charge. She would find another way and keep preaching the Gospel of Jesus.
    Maybe people that have been giving Lottie Moon offerings should put their money elsewhere and give it in honor of Lottie Moon to any organization which allow anyone called by God to preach the gospel of Jesus to people in need.

19. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Given that she refused Crawford Toy's proposal of marriage (on 3 separate ocassions) due to the view of Scripture that he picked up while studying in Europe (a view, btw, that is currently prevelant among those CBF types who are no longer in charge of the SBC and those who seem to be most outraged by the IMB's stance), I would suggest that Miss Moon would agree that missionaries must be held accountable to the specific doctrinal boundary established by those who fund the mission work.

20. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Her disagreement were not against established SBC policies but with certain pastors who, after understanding the what she was doing was proclaiming the gospel rather than serving in the office of elder or bishop, ultimately had no argument against her.