1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News on the Missions Front

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Brice, Dec 22, 2005.

1. standingfirminChrist

I have slept under a outdoor stage during a 3 day campmeeting using a stone for a pillow back in 82

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stone for a pillow--right along with those Bible characters, standingfirminChrist!

Worst ever homes on deputation/furlough--that would contribute quite a few stories. Our worst ever was an absolute mess that the pastor and his family lived in. I sat down on the stairway with my new suit on--right on someone's old bubble gum! Our son (a little boy at the time) stayed in the boys' room. There was such a mess on the floor that in the morning he couldn't find his own pants! We never saw those pants--or that church and pastor--again. [​IMG] :cool:

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Loved it, Mexdeaf! [​IMG] [​IMG]

And when you come to Japan, there is just a normal gesture (not sign language) you don't want to use--don't stick out your little finger. Means you are talking about an illicit relationship.

4. Brice

Brice New Member

Sure would.. [​IMG] I would pay big bucks for that one. :D

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Speaking of "sign language." Most American preachers don't realise that the "V for Victory" symbol with the back of the hand facing out is a very rude gesture here.

I have seen too may preachers emphatically say, with the gesture above, "My second point is ..."

When they emphasis the gesture people will cringe because they see a whole different meaning.

Fortunatley, most of the Irish Christians are familiar with Americanisms.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And another funny that I can share...

The first Sunday we held church services here in Mexico, one of our deaf men came to me and made the universal (or nearly so...) sign for telephone (thumb and little fingers of right hand held to ear and mouth, imitating a telephone handset).

I was bewildered as to why a DEAF man would want a telephone, but I led him into the kitchen where our phone was.

He politely shook his head 'no' and then made the sign for 'baƱo' (bathroom). Turns out that the 'telephone' sign is a polite way of saying, "May I use your bathroom?"