1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Newsweek Billy graham

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by steveo, Aug 16, 2006.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

Has anyone read the interview in newsweek?
    I'm disappointed with the interview with Billy Graham.
    He said some of the same things he did in the Robert Schuller interview.

"It would be foolish for me to speculate on who will be in heaven and who wont. He gave his son for the whole world, and I think he loves everybody regardless of what label they have." (Billy Graham Newsweek)
    When asked whether he believes heaven will be closed to good Jews, Muslims, Buddhist, Hindus or secular people, though graham says "those are decisions only the Lord will make"
    "I'm not a literalist{about the bible} in that every jot and title is from the Lord. This is a little difference on my thinking through the years."

Its sad that there will be so many that will read that and be confused.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the interview several days ago and I was more disturbed by the reporter than with Graham.

Billy Graham is an old man, he has serious health problems, and I don't know that he is as clear minded as he use to be. So anything he says, that just does not sound right, I have to take with a grain of salt. He could be confused about what is being asked, or he could get confused when trying to answer the question. I have seen Graham in interviews when it was clear that he was not totally clear on what was being asked (etc). I am also aware that Graham is not a theologian. While some of the things Graham says are troubling I think part of it maybe that he does not know how to answer the question. He has, on several occasions, mourned the fact that he never attended seminary or graduate school (he repeats that in this interview). Another problem is, simply put; the man is just too nice. Yea, it is strange to say that is a problem but it can be. When a person is simply so nice that they can't be harsh that is a problem.

Now I was really bothered by the reporters constant bashing of conservative evangelical Christians (Jerry Falwell, Franklin Graham, etc). He even tried to bait Graham into saying something "controversial" about his son and Falwell. Shame on that reporter.

Back to Graham for a moment. All of the critics need to lay off of him. He is sick, elderly man. If you want to go after heretics go after Benny Hinn or some of those other clowns on TBN. In the current market they have more influence than Graham does. Call or write TBN and tell them you want more sound teaching on their channel. Maybe they could start playing Charles Stanley, Adrian Rodgers, James Merritt, or D James Kennedy (etc) more than once a week (while they play Hinn and company several times a day).

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I believe TBN and most religious stations sell the air time to the various ministries. They are not like standard commercial stations that select programming to air. The entire program is basically one long commercial. Whoever buys the time, gets the time.

4. steveo

steveo New Member

I am not a critic of Graham and was wondering if what he said was because of his illness, but the fact remains that whether he was misquoted or whatever its unbiblical and his organazation should come out and say something about it. I know he has preached to millions and I respect him, but the truth needs to be pointed out. If me or you said some false things I would hope someone would point it out even if we were famous;)

5. Brice

Brice New Member

I would urge everyone to read the entire article and put it into context. Your quotes are out of context to say the least. No offense meant brother, but I feel that you’ve left out valuable content such as completing paragraphs when quoting so as to not paint the wrong picture. You can’t cut and paste to make a point. I will finish one for you now.

“A unifying theme of Graham's new thinking is humility. He is sure and certain of his faith in Jesus as the way to salvation. When asked whether he believes heaven will be closed to good Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus or secular people, though, Graham says: "Those are decisions only the Lord will make. It would be foolish for me to speculate on who will be there and who won't ... I don't want to speculate about all that. I believe the love of God is absolute. He said he gave his son for the whole world, and I think he loves everybody regardless of what label they have." Such an ecumenical spirit may upset some Christian hard-liners, but in Graham's view, only God knows who is going to be saved: "As an evangelist for more than six decades, Mr. Graham has faithfully proclaimed the Bible's Gospel message that Jesus is the only way to Heaven," says Graham spokesman A. Larry Ross. "However, salvation is the work of Almighty God, and only he knows what is in each human heart."
    You took a few sentences out of the middle and made it look as if he doesn’t believe Christ is the way.

Here is a link to the whole article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14204483/site/newsweek/

Here’s another quote for you.

“Now, more than half a century later, he is far from questioning the fundamentals of the faith. He is not saying Jesus is just another lifestyle choice, nor is he backtracking on essentials such as the Incarnation or the Atonement. But he is arguing that the Bible is open to interpretation, and fair-minded Christians may disagree or come to different conclusions about specific points. Like Saint Paul, he believes human beings on this side of paradise can grasp only so much. "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror," Paul wrote, "then we shall see face to face." Then believers shall see: not now, but then.”

#5 Brice, Aug 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2006
  6. Bro. Talmadge

Bro. Talmadge New Member

A Christian organization can not spend time defending themselves every time you turn around or they would not get anything else accomplished.

I hate the fact that there are so many people on this board that are just waiting to bounce on anything so they will have something to post about. Let me hear about the people you talked to about God this past week or the sermon you listened to or preached. Tell me something GOOD in other words.

7. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I read the article...have it at home. I have a great deal of respect for Billy Graham and what he has attempted to accomplish in the name of the Lord with his life. The ENTIRE article is a very good article. Graham has aged a great deal and I do believe with age, his heart and attitude on some things has softened. I wish we all had the zeal and zest that he has had and continues to have for the Lord.

8. steveo

steveo New Member

No doubt you should read the article. Theres no way to paste the whole article, so I was just putting the answers that were weak.
    In no way am I trying to bash Billy Graham, I just thought the article was so bad.
    Steve

#8 steveo, Aug 16, 2006
  9. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I agree that words could easily be taken and misconstrued from the article. The jounalist did a poor job.:thumbsup:

10. steveo

steveo New Member

There are some good things posted too if you read them.
    Theres positive and negative and your right we shouldnt always be negative.
    I baptised a lady that was over 70 a couple of weeks ago.
    How about that being good news?

#10 steveo, Aug 16, 2006
  11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree to some extent. But how would you have said it differently in such a way that people clearly understood?

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

One of my former professors wrote a commentary for Broadman. I talked with him about it and he told me that the editors completely changed what he actually wrote and believed. That is the kind of lack of integrity we must jump on immediately.

13. steveo

steveo New Member

When asked would Muslims, Jews, etc would go to heaven, it would of been a great oppurtunity to say the bible tells us Jesus says "I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the father but by me"

14. Brice

Brice New Member

That is said directly preceding the muslim statement. Read my quote from the article on the first page. He also says it’s not his choice, but God’s. Only God knows the heart and to the extent that one must believe (general revelation, etc.).

15. Brice

Brice New Member

SteveO,

Please don’t take my response personally; I can understand your concern. That being said, I think we are so used to people backing off the gospel that we are quick to jump on things such as this. I think in this particular case, Graham was good

16. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I have read, and reread this article. I was so excited to see something on the cover of Newsweek when it arrived this past week worth reading. Again, the article as a whole was good. The editing or wording may be off. Billy Graham admits in the article that he has changed his views somewhat over time on politics, etc. He has backed off from what formerly were topics he talked about a great deal.
    Again, I say that time, and perhaps God has softened his heart. That's just what I'm gathering...I may be way off. :type: