Newt Gingrich Admits to Having Affair

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JFox1, Mar 9, 2007.

1. JFox1

JFox1
    Expand Collapse

2. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond
    Expand Collapse

From the link:
    What a great guy.......

Regards,
    BiR

3. mcdirector

mcdirector
    Expand Collapse

This is mmmmmm pathetic -- that's the nicest thing I can think of to say.

I knew about the cancer bed, leaving his wife thing. That's the reason I'd never vote for him. I shake my head in disgust every time I think of it.

And I like the guy. I think he's articulate and on-point on many issues. So this just goes to show that you can like someone and still think they have no moral fiber. BUT I want someone with moral fiber leading us.

4. Martin

Martin
    Expand Collapse

==With all due respect to everyone who thinks this is news I knew about this back in the 90s when I was not paying close attention to politics. This is not "new" news. While I admire Newt Gingrich as a pretty smart historian (etc) that does not mean that he is a moral man. I thought about his run for the presidency a few months ago and came to the conclusion that I would not vote for him for president. Why? Well there is my disagreement with him on Iraq and then there is this adultery thing. While I don't believe in picking people's lives apart I can't vote for someone who has treated marriage so badly in the "recent" past. At this time I am leaning towards Brownback and Huckabee.

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

While I agree with you that this is not "new" news, since it's been posted here, I wonder if Ps104_33 will come in and stomp his feet because Newt is stating this again now for "political reasons".

Hum... I doubt most of the Right Wingers around here will find too much fault with Newt.. I mean he is still a Republican right?

Jamie

6. Martin

Martin
    Expand Collapse

==I am sure that his disclosing this now on "Focus on The Family" is a very political move. I think he is probably clearing his closet now, getting all the dirt out now, so he can get past this and start his run for the presidency in September.

==I consider myself to be a right winger but I also like to think that I can think for myself. Even some of my "liberal" friends know that I am not one to hold the "party line". I say "liberal" in quotes because many of them are liberal only in their political views. When it comes to their daily life, their children, and their paycheck they are conservative. Since I am a right winger who thinks for himself I don't need James Dobson, Tim LaHaye, Jerry Falwell, or Pat Robertson to think for me. This is why I don't support this President's failed war in Iraq, this is why I believe George W Bush is not a conservative and certainly not evangelical, this is why I will not vote for someone like Newt Gingrich, Rudolph Giuliani, John McCain, or Mitt Romney. If the Republican party wants my vote they are going to have to put someone up I can agree with. I really like Ron Paul's views on Iraq.

7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy
    Expand Collapse

I think that Newt is the dark horse in the Republican primary. He is waiting in the wings for the 3 leaders to all falter and then hoping to come in and run. Falwell says that he expects Newt to run and I defer to Falwell.

8. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann
    Expand Collapse

Isn't Newt a great guy? Why does the Religious Right think so highly of him?

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The Religious Right will vote for anybody they think can beat us Democrats in 2008, regardless of what that person has done in the past.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector
    Expand Collapse

I posted earlier, but I did want to address this because of the word MOST. We don't really know who most are. We only know who the loudest and most aggressive are.

I am conservative and would most-likely be considered a "right-winger." BUT, I've already stated that this was old news to me and pathetic behavior. I've stated in this and other threads that this would keep me from voting for Newt regardless of how articulate he is or how much I agree with what he says. I tend to want actions to match up with someone's words.

I hate to be lumped in a group, and I try really hard not to lump others. Like Martin, while I tend to lean in a certain direction, I am an independent thinker. I do not like the actions of many in the Repulican party. I do not like the carte blanche endorsement of candidates by religious leaders just because they are repulicans.

11. JamieinNH

JamieinNH
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Hiya mcdirector,

Lumping people together is something that happens all the time on this board. I have been called a leftist liberal because I didn't vote for Bush and because I don't support this war of his, and yet my current choice for POTUS if he would run would be Ron Paul.

I understand there are people like you and Marin that stand somewhere between center of Right and Right, that are conversative by nature, but not wholeheartly right. Just like there are people that stand center of Left and Left, that are liberal by nature, but not wholeheartly liberal.

That is why I said most instead of all. If you talk to either the Right or Left, in my opinion, you will see that people tend to lend one way of the other, and it's generally more than just across the center. So in my opinion people like yourself and Martin are not "right wingers" and I am not a "leftist liberal" We are just people that lend one way of the other that can think for ourselves.

I think the biggest think we can learn and do more of is "Think for ourselves". There are too many people that will vote by straight party or by who their "icons" told them to vote for.

It's sad to see it... no both sides.. :(

Jamie

12. TomVols

TomVols
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Yeah...you're right. That's the thing about hacks. You never have to justify your position or reason with logic. All you do is...well, be a hack. And some on here have gotten a Ph.D. in it :wavey:

Truthfully, part of me would like to hear the whole interview and hear if Gingrich understands the immorality of his actions. Maybe he'd like Clinton, though. Who knows?

And I'll throw in something I know will get the hacks on me. Some are calling this hypocritical of Newt. But Clinton wasn't brought up on "adultery" charges. He was brought up on perjury, obst of justice, sub of perjury. If Gingrich had committed those crimes, then hypocrisy would be more of a substantive charge.

It's also interesting to read in writing something that will put the rumors to rest that circulated for years among the hacks that Gingrich actually gave his wife divorce papers (1) on her way to surgery; (2) In the admitting room and sundry other versions of the rumor.

There's no question that Gingrich is about as smart as they come. But so was Clinton. You can put both of their moral fibers in a thimble and still have room left over.

Okay. I've said enough to get the hacks on both sides upset at me :type:

13. TomVols

TomVols
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Well said and worth saying :applause:

14. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann
    Expand Collapse

I guess "family values" isn't working for them anymore.

15. steaver

steaver
    Expand Collapse

What is indeed sad to see is Christians calling themselves "free thinkers". Those in Christ, whether Democrat or Republican, are called by the Word of God to represent Jesus Christ, even become like Christ in our "thinking".

Therefore every issue should be brought into the light of the Bible so we can make a right judgment as to what our conclusions should be concerning every topic. This is not "free thinking", this is allowing God's word to shape our lives and our positions on every issue.

Are we all (Democrat or Republican) doing this as Christians? Are we taking every issue that is in politics and lining our own "thoughts" with the word of God? We are not to "think" something is right or wrong, we are not to follow the crowd, we are to "learn" from God's Word what is right and wrong.

Christian Republicans or Christian Democrats are to be seperate from other Republicans or Democrats. We are forgetting that we are Christians first and Christians are to consult the Word of God for decision making, and not what they "feel" is right and wrong.

With that said, when speaking out pro or con for an issue let's give some scripture to support your position. Free thinking is for the infidels.

God Bless!

16. mcdirector

mcdirector
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. ;) My only concern is that we only know/remember what the most vocal think on either side. Their voice is the one that sticks out. The controlled voice on either side is lost in all the hype.

#16 mcdirector, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  17. JamieinNH

JamieinNH
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Your controlled voice is never lost with me. I hear you and Martin, Helen, John of Japan, Tinytim and many others that I cherish and look forward to ya'lls posting no matter what the topic.

Grounded Controlled, (thinking) voices are never lost. :)

Jamie

18. carpro

carpro
    Expand Collapse

Let me get this straight...

We shouldn't vote for Gingrich because he is a sinner who has publicly repented of his sin?

There seems to be something wrong with that picture.:confused:

19. mcdirector

mcdirector
    Expand Collapse

carpro, I said that I wouldn't vote for him. I'm not going to vote for him because he left his wife while she was in the hospital. I just don't like the message that sends.

Now having said that. Do I believe that God forgives and we are to move on. YES! But, I believe that there are human consequences for those actions. Part of the problem I have with this too is the justification he is trying to make -- not condemning Clinton for the affair but for the lying to the perjury. It is difficult in the midst of sin to point out any sin. I won't make mention of your sin that is the same as mine, but this other over here . . .

#19 mcdirector, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  20. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

How can they say they are in favor of "family values" and support Gingrich, an admitted hypocrite and adulterer, but many of them will rationalize the facts and cast that vote.