1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Newt in 2012

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Oct 30, 2010.

?
  1. Yes, he is the best choice for the USA

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Yes, he is the best choice for the Republicans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Probably, since I would not vote for Obama

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Between Newt and Obama, I would vote 3rd party

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  5. Between Newt and Obama, I would not vote

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. Other answer

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe the Democrats and Republicans will unite and nominate you in 2012. With your in depth knowledge of theology, the country should run like a well oiled machine.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well thank you very much. It is clear that you are a full fledge Baptist with incite beyond your ears.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think I could vote for Newt Gingrich or Sarah Palin. I couldn't vote for Newt not because I don't agree with his politics but because of the mess of his personal life. I couldn't vote for Sarah Palin because I think she's a lightweight who happens to be a woman, relatively attractive and able to turn a phrase. The thing I do like about her is she twists the establishment's underclothing into a knot.

But I would vote for either of them before I would vote to keep President Obama in office another 4 disastrous years.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm with Tom above... Newt has a great grasp on what it takes to be a great president -- except for his personal life -- he is undisciplined there, and that leads me to believe that he would be undisciplined as a leader as well.

Sarah Palin is great at what she is doing -- stirring the pot for the regular Joe -- not so great as a world leader. But, that being said, she has volumes more experience than the man that won the election 2 years ago... But, I'm not sure we as a nation can afford on-the-job training for two presidents in a row.

I would prefer Condalisa Rice to run on the R ticket next time. I'd at least like to see her get a shot at the VP if she cannot run for the top chair. I expect that we'll see Charlie Crist, Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal, and the other candidates that ran last time, like Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Rudy Giuliani, and Ron Paul.

Like it or not, right now, Palin and Gingrich are the front runners in polls, but I don't expect that to hold once other candidates start their bids.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

At this point in time I would go for Bobby Jindal. I don't believe Charlie Crist will ever get on a Republican ticket agan( he was a RINO).

I like Mike Huckabee as a person, don't know if I could vote for him, there isn't anyone else you have listed that I could give my vote to.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just an observation but it seems to me that the American people prefer electing people currently serving in public office for their Presidents.

If memory serves me correctly almost all Presidents in the last fifty years have been elected while serving in public office. Let's see if I can get this right:
    Obama - Senate
    Bush - Governor
    Clinton - Governor
    Bush - VP
    Reagan - he wasn't serving in public office at the time but Governor before
    Carter - Governor
    Ford - Doesn't count...but Congress
    Nixon - not serving in public office at the time but VP before
    Johnson - VP, but before was in Senate
    Kennedy - Senate
    Eisenhower - Supreme Commander Allied Forces (I just like the title)

Anyhoo, its a mixed bag I guess. It is an argument against both Gingrich and Huckabee since they have all been out of public office for more than five years which was how long Reagan had between his governorship and Presidency. Not saying it can't happen but it seems to me people like employed public servants and not private sector folks. Maybe its a worthless observation but maybe it works well.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think Newt is probably one of the smartest (both politically and intellectually) Republicans out there - he's much smarter than people give him credit for. However, it would be hard for me to support him for various reasons already mentioned. I don't think he is electable either - too much baggage that the left and its media cohorts would have a heydey with.