1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NFL cleans up SBC church

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by church mouse guy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Sure its a serious question, but I'll give you my own answer to it. In one way, there is no difference at all. The church building is not some holy place that is spiritually different than anywhere else we might go. If something is not acceptable for me to do then it is not acceptable anywhere. I cringe when I hear people say, "Don't lie, you're in church" after all it would not be any more acceptable to lie at the mall.

On the other hand, the church building has been built for a purpose and we meet there for certain purposes. For that reason, there are a lot of things that I might do in my life that I would prefer not to do there. Evangelism, however, is a perfectly good use for the building.

So for me, the question of Super Bowl Church Parties comes down to purpose. To celebrate a sporting event does not seem to be an appropriate activity for a building that has been built for such things as evangelism, discipleship, fellowship, ministry, and worship. But I have known many churches to host such events with the sole purpose being to share the gospel with the lost. I can't think of anything more fitting for a building that is to be used for the things of Christ.

That being said, I would hope that any church that opts to do a super bowl event would consider long and hard what the purpose and motivation is.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are churches depending on the NFL to get people to come to church? Does anyone really think they are going to be people leaving the "Super Bowl Bash" talking about the great evangelistic sermon given at half-time rather then the funny Blockbuster commercial with the mouse and rabbit!?

Latching onto secular events to promote a righteous endeavor seem to me to be very problematic. Though I guess you could dream up some scenario that might be "workable"

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Advocating the churches that use the superrbowl for evangelism, I would say that its going to where the lost are. Where are they? Superbowl parties. The added advantage here is that a lot of churches have great facilities for showing the superbowl, providing food, etc. Some have even brought in Christian athletes to do the message which brings a measure of appeal as well. (I commited a horrible faux-pax regarding guest athletes at church, so now I avoid them :tonofbricks: ).

And maybe that message won't be the most dynamic thing the guest remembers, maybe they'll remember the guy they met and when he stops by and visits, they'll be more receptive.

IMHO, you are right that this approach is problematic. I've seen several churches do it, and can only think of two that I've seen that would be done right. One was a church that was willing to go all out for evangelism. Too many go all out for showing the game, but tack on the evangelism...what's the point? The other was a church that devised a "how to have an evangelistic superbowl party" plan and encouraged church members to host these parties in their homes. At this church, those homes later hosted weekly Bible studies, so it was an easy transition from the party to the small group. It worked, but it worked because it built relationships, so all in all it became a reason for the church folks to finally go out and witness to their neighbors.

4. URCNetCommunity

URCNetCommunity New Member

Wow

WoW - Interesting topic.

I'd have to say if you are paying for the broadcast via "you bought a tv" or cable or satellite then you paid for it and are free to view it however & with whomever you desire. End of discussion!

Hey I breath the same air waves they all breath, what next you will be telling me I can’t breath the air? Airwaves are EVERYbody’s Waves! If they want to make it only pay per view then same goes as before, I pay I however & with whomever you desire.

Honestly does the NFL really care? I can almost guarantee you the Big PAYING Advertisers Care! They Want you to watch every second of the Superbowl, errrr okay maybe only the commercials for the most part. But there is A LOT of advertising going during the game as well. I say approach the advertisers and see what they think? Do they want you viewing their multimillion-dollar per 30-second ads or what? Do they want the NFL to run off their potential customers or what?

Now in response to the football on Sunday – how do you even know that Sunday is the real “day of rest.” I am not 7th Day Adventist but I know of several churches that believe Saturday is the true day of rest. And don’t most of you work on Saturday? I mean isn’t Sunday the first day of the week? Or is it? Isn’t it the beginning of a fresh new week? Or is it? Is Saturday the 7th day of the week? Who came up with what day any way and how do we know who is right? I know people who have to work 7 days a week to survive financially and they go to church on Friday evenings, hey that’s date night for many people, hmmmmm. Now I’m really confused. Oh and BTW many people can’t make it to church on Sunday. Are they wrong, evil? What…..?

What does it matter?

Life is simple – Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Tell others about him and let them see him in you! That’s it! Do we really care how you do it? At a football game, a football party, Mon, Sun, Sat, Frid, at work, in neighborhood, at gas station, or at a store?

The world will ALWAYS have a double standard so the game not being played in a church environment verse a bar is true to form.

WoW – as I said interesting topic.

Peace
    URC

#24 URCNetCommunity, Feb 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  5. URCNetCommunity

URCNetCommunity New Member

Purpose and Motivation!

*KEY* Here

Also note - FELLOWship! Most I know do it for this! But can you imagine getting someone save over the Super Bowl game - WOW! Talk about Opportunistic!

6. AlexL

AlexL New Member

shocking....

Personally, I am shocked at how you could consider evangelising at a superbowl let alone showing it in a church. People supposedly 'saved' could get the wrong impression about what it is to repent of sins, trust in Christ for forgiveness and salvation, forsake the world and love the Lord with all your heart. Its like saying you can have your worship of sports and Jesus too.

We are not to love the things of the world - superbowl is as worldly as it gets and if it takes you away from worshipping Christ, then you can only suspect who is really behind it and the whole sports industry. We are to be a separated and peculiar people, known for our love of one another. I can't see how holding a superbowl party would demonstrate that.