1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NFL Playoffs 2010 Are Here!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by JPPT1974, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Oh, there's a big surprise! That's an incredible - I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die of that surprise.

*insert eyeroll here*

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ok, I would like to see your list of past Super Bowl teams that the '10 Bears are better than.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm not doing any such thing 4 days before the NFC Championship Game.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

hehe!

BTW, I've heard the field might be sloppy. If that's the case, then my prediction for the score will be 24-20, Packers - will be a little more scoring if the D lines can't dig in.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

CCROB:

Sorry I'm a little late to the party. No, I'm not surprised NO went out in the 1st round. Their D did not play well at critical times this year. They gave up 30 or more to pedestrian offenses like Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Arizona, and gave up 27 to Dallas when they couldn't find their car keys.

I keep waiting for Cutler's implosion. Hasn't happened. Somehow I want to take the Packers this week, but Chicago's home field is an advantage and Lovie Smith is a disciple of Majors/Fulmer. That said, I'll say Packers in a close one.

There's something unlikable about the Jets. Maybe it's because they and the Houston Texans were everyone's politically correct pick to win the Super Bowl. CCROB is right that the NFL is the No Fun League, but Rex, much like his daddy, eventually just gets on your nerves. But as a died in the wool AFC North fan who doesn't live in Pennsylvania, I have to agree with Andy in the I don't want to see the Steelers win it again. But their defense looks too good and the real Sanchez may just show up and doom the Jets. I'll hold my nose and pick the Steelers to win, but I don't have to like it (they're more likable than the Jets for some inexplicable reason).

#45 TomVols, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand Rex has instructed the trainers to put Ben Gay in Sanchez's jock come Pburg playing time (got that old tid bit from Buddy) .... hey it works.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm sure it does. I hear Rex likes it in his socks

(get it?) :tongue3: :smilewinkgrin:

By the way, CCRob, you'll find this funny: I got two emails from Bears' fans this week who believe this is the best team since 1985, and one who says this team is the '85 Bears all over again. I'm no Andy T - it's not like I think Ball State could beat the Bears. On the other hand I think the '85 Bears would probably beat anyone still standing today.

(clearing my throat for an Andy T impersonation)
    Except for the Lions and Bengals, of course
    :)

#47 TomVols, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  8. mets65

mets65 New Member

I can't think of any except maybe the 07 Giants. They were 10-6.

9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rumor has it that Cutler's colorblind, given his tendency to pass to just about anyone.:smilewinkgrin:

Packers by seven.

10. mets65

mets65 New Member

Except Bears receivers

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The '06 Bears team were a little better than this one because the defense was more dominant. The '06 Bears offense was explosive, but Grossman was the QB and I trust Cutler more than I did Grossman. Special teams are a wash between the 2 teams. You could make a decent argument that this Bears team is better than the '06 team.

In relation to the '85 Bears, it's a different game now than it was then, but the '85 Bears were still a bit more explosive on offense. While this Bears team is more dangerous in the return game than the '85 Bears were, the '85 Bears were a little better in the kicking game. Call it a wash. The '85 Bears defense was obviously better by a large margin than this one.

In short, the first email isn't as laughable as you might think, and the 2nd one is silly.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

While I would...with a lapse or two...take Cutler over Rexy, I would take the '06 defense over this one simply due to Urlarcher being a bit healthier and younger and better overall. Maybe Hester's legs are fresher, so that makes me lean back to '06.

I can't blame some in Chicagoland for being euphoric this year. No way did I expect this team to get to the NFC title game. You heard it hear first - Lovie Smith is my NFC coach of the year. People are talking McCarthy or Mike Smith or one ESPNod called for Pete Carroll. People will say it was Lovie's hiring or promotion of Marinelli, Martz, and Tice that made the difference. Before we hand those guys cyprus wreaths, remember who hired them and/or promoted them.

Again, maybe I'm biased because of Lovie's Fulmer/Majors relationship but I also can respect a job well done.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These games come down to who prepared more & who wants it more. Both are critical to success. And Im excited.....Go Jets!

14. mets65

mets65 New Member

I know I was picking the Steelers but the Jets just have this fire in their eyes right now. I think it'll be a great game but I think the Jets want it more.

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Going into the season, I think every Bears fan expected Lovie to get fired midseason. Nobody expected this kind of season out of this team. The problem that Lovie now has is managing expectations for this team for next year. Typically, what happens is Bear fans have sky-high expectations for the season following a good one and the Bears fall on their face. I fully expect Bears fans to predict 11-5, or better, for next season, followed up by the Bears going 7-9 and missing the playoffs again.

Arbo, the Super Bowl Shuffle definitely rates pretty high on the Unintentional Comedy Scale. :smilewinkgrin:

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

So, it is the Packers and Steelers.

And, the Bears probably found their starting quarterback for next year. Loved the interceptions he threw. Made my Packers look all the better.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Which is more in line with the type of team they really are. Law of averages and all that. Maybe they should start that 3rd string QB next year - looks like he wants it more than Cutler. No surprise, since just about everyone looks like they want it more than Cutler. He has one of the most un-inspiring demeanors in sports history. And don't think demeanor is unimportant - it is.

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'll take 7-9 over 0-16 any day.

We're talking about the same Cutler that led the Bears to an 11-5 record and the NFC Championship Game, right? This is the same Jay Cutler that was sacked more times this season than any other QB and never once complained or threw the O-line under the bus. The same Jay Cutler that got sacked 9 times in the Giants game and didn't complain. And, yet, they still went 11-5 and played in the NFC Championship Game.

So, tell me how much demeanor means again?

20. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It means the Bears had a good defense that carried this team. It also means they were very lucky. Playing the Seahawks to start out the playoffs?! Cutler didn't lead this team. In fact, he bailed on them in the biggest game of the year. Confirms just about everyones' opinion of him being a non-leader.