1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NFL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ccrobinson, Jan 10, 2009.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So, I'm watching the Titans/Ravens game and I knew we were in for bad announcing when I saw Dan Dierdorf was the "analyst". Dierdorf, in talking about Kerry Collins' arm strength, brings up Brett Favre. Why did Dierdorf need to mention him? Do the NFL announcers get paid everytime they mention him? It's idiotic that Dierdorf needed to mention him, as Favre has no ties to either team.

BTW, nice game plan by Jeff Fisher and company to come out and go for the big play than try to grind it on by trying to run on the Ravens. For all the talk of Collins as a "game manager", he's very capable of throwing deep and making big plays.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Not so, friend.

You aren't going to beat the Ravens rushing the football. Their front seven is too good. You have to use intermediate passes along with short ones and screens to set up some modest running.

And Dierdorf is typically spot on. Everyone is capable of being dumb, but he's as good as you can get on CBS game analysis. The Gumbel he's with is the better of the two!

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And on cue, Johnson breaks a good gain. But Mawae is going to be missed.

That botched snap just proved it.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The Jaguars, Dolphins or Bucs are not in it, WHO CARES!!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think you misunderstood me, Tom. What I meant is that instead of trying to grind out a win by running, the Titans are throwing the intermediate and deep passes, which is exactly what you have to do to beat the Ravens (re: Colts over Ravens in the regular season). Of course, it doesn't help that the Titans keep turning it over.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I see. Well, deep balls are not Collins' forte (see the INTs) and the secondary is too good. TOs killed the Titans today. And the refs missing two key calls (Flacco appearing to step on the end zone backline and the play clock expiring on the deep completion to set up the FG) didn't help. That said, the Titans beat themselves today. You can't turn the ball over or rely on LenDale White and win in the playoffs.....or ever.

With the Predators in a free fall, the state of Tennessee's sporting teams looks bleak. Only the BasketVOLS can save us all now.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Can somebody tell me why the announcers say things like, "He elevated to catch the ball"? You mean he jumped? What's wrong with saying he jumped?

The Ravens were the more physical team and outhit the Titans, thus the turnovers. The stat was shown late in the game that both the Dolphins and the Titans had far more turnovers than they usually do and I attribute that to the Ravens being the more physical team.

I did see Flacco appear to step on the endline, but nobody else seemed to catch it, including the Titans. Losing Chris Johnson really hurt.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Today jump is not used by big boys, only uneducated folks. I'm with you, jumped sounds good to me, because that is what he did. I'm so old school on these announcers, I might be run out of town.. I still think Dizzy Dean is the best in any sport, he spoke like I do, George Allen was the best color man but you didn't enjoy the game as much because on about 90% of the time or better he told you what the next play was going to be. I still like Don Meridith he even made a bad game good.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'll take your word on Dizzy Dean and George Allen, Bob. :)

With all due respect to those who like Dan Dierdorf, I think he's an idiot. Or, to be more precise, he's become a talking head who's fallen in love with the sound of his own voice and has ceased to tell me anything interesting about the game. In addition to the gratuitous Favre comment and the silly "he elevated" nonsense, he had other gems such as "The Ravens blitz all the time". Only problem was that 2 plays earlier, he said the Ravens only rushed 4. Look, Dan, either they blitz all the time or they don't. I was going to post more about this, but the game was over about 14 hours ago and I've been at work all night (sometimes I wish my career wasn't in IT) and I've forgotten whatever other dumb things that Dierdorf said.

BTW, I went on record as saying that I think the Titans turnovers were a result of the Ravens being more physical. That's not to say that the Titans weren't physical themselves. At least 4 Ravens were injured during the Titans game, so it's not like the Titans weren't dishing it out, too.

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I maybe should keep my mouth closed, because I think pro ball isn't very good. I don't ever watch more than a few plays at a time. With that said I do watch sports center and get all the big plays.

But the B-more City boys blitz as much or more than any team in the league if Jack is correct down here, they are known as a team that will blitz more than about anyone. I didn't watch the game so I can't say, but what Dan said could be correct that they blitz all the time (most of the time) and only had 4 to rush on a play or two before, or he could be full of his self. But my question, who listens to the color guy on TV today? We have hours upon hours of all the guys and girls telling us on sports shows how dumb the coaches and players are on the loser and how smart and great the coaches and players of the winners are. If I wish while I'm driving my 11 hours Sunday night and Monday morning I can get all the know it all telling me why such and such happened the entire run.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm not in love with Dierdorf. Color guys in all sports have a penchant for saying the obvious. It's the obviously stupid things or contradictory things that make color guys Morgan-like. Dierdorf did correct himself a lot yesterday, it seemed. It's still better than listening to the uber intuitive Phil Simms today.

What on earth keeps Nantz from jumping out of the broadcast booth? Dierdorf is a genius compared to this nimrod.

Flacco did not step on the end line as ESPN showed on their axis view. However, the play clock blown call was key. That said, if you don't lay the ball down on the Ravens one yd line, if LenDale White can just not play like LenDale white for a couple of plays, and if the normally stingy Titans secondary had been a little more...well, stingy, then the Ravens would've had much more of a fight. I said it earlier....the Ravens did not win this game. The Titans lost it. But the Ravens did what they had to do to come out on top.

Glad to see you come back to earth on the Titans' physicality. They punished teams all year, including yesterday. Ask the Ravens RB corps. I'm a modest follower of the Titans, so I hated to see them lose, but more than that, I hate to see the Ravens win.

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

As I said I don't watch much NFL so it does not bother me. As I brought up on George Allen the TV people said he told to much and took the fun of the game away from the fans for the most part. All a color guy can do is tell you what you have just seen and what they are doing or trying to do according to their coach or where they didn't do it.

It is kind of like if you play college ball are pro, you get the same dumb questions from the reports. What is it, the paper is written at a 5th or 6th grade level, maybe the color man is to do his job at the same level, at times it looks like it. I would say the color guy is their for the casual fan and to add a known football name.

It is kind of like I hear all the time most churches don't give any meat just milk in their teaching. About 8 years ago I was with a group who went out to churches where members or pastors from a church making that kind of statement about other churches. We ask them if they would allow us to give a doctrine and theology test to their members to see how well they were doing, only about 9 churches out of about 83 churches would allow it and their eyes were opened, scores on what they were teaching was low,for the most part the members didn't buy into all of the theology and doctrine that they were teaching. The truth it is all in my eyes, if I'm getting what I want or need from TV or the pulpit, or that is how most folks see it.

For the record, I love college ball and homer broadcasters, but with that said the two I like the best or from school I like the least, the FSU and Ga. broadcasters, they do a great job.

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ravens and Steelers ... should be a good smash-mouth, dirt in the trenches football game. The refs took the game in Baltimore away from the Ravens. Maybe the Ravens will catch another break from the refs this week.

I have noticed the clock go to 0 several times in the playoffs in different games and the flag not be thrown ... and I have seen the flag thrown. The Ravens did get a break and Hemp made a great catch.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I've noticed it as well and the excuse of "natural delay" is complete nonsense.
    In effect, what the NFL is saying is that while the play clock rule is 30 seconds, the "natural delay" means that the actualy play clock rule is more like 31 seconds. When the shot clock goes off in an NBA game, there is a buzz and a red light. While a buzz and/or a red light may not work in a giant stadium, I don't see why they couldn't tie it to some sort of indicator for the officials so that when that indicator goes off, the officials know to throw the flag and blow the whistle to stop play.

This is the correct option. :)

Don't really have a choice. Watching a game with the sound muted isn't much fun.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I guess what I was trying to say is the color man or person isn't for the well educated in the field but for the younger or like the newspapers, about 5th or 6th grade level. The bandwagon fan or new fan, I'm sure they might enjoy the color person more than you or I.

When I watch a game, I use selective hearing, I've used it for years with my wife, children and grand children. I will say I like the color folks on radio broadcast better than TV for the most part. I enjoy Dan Reeves as a color man on the radio, but if you don't have a lot of south in your ear he could be trouble to understand at times.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I thought that the NFL refs had a buzzer on their belt that went off when the clock hit zero?

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the Titans weren't physical. Physical play is the hallmark of Jeff Fisher's teams. I'm not a Titans fan, but I wanted to see them win.

Of the remaining 4 teams, I'm rooting for the Buzzsaw because of Kurt Warner. I have no interest in seeing the Ravens win anything, mostly because of Art Modell.

18. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We could get used to this.....
    Shall we prepare for ANOTHER victory parade down Broad Street?

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not just yet!

Ed