1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Just two more weeks of regular season hockey left and then comes the playoffs! I can't wait to see how the new NHL will look during the playoffs. The shootouts have been great, the new rules have upped the scoring considerably and refs are calling tight games.

The playoff race has been exciting especially in the west. I am glad that my Red Wings have already locked in a playoff spot as they continue to dominate the NHL point standings.

Go Wings!

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have not paid any attention to the NHL this year at all.

The Blackhawks looked at the beginning of the season to have a chance this year, but once again fizzled.

I will start watching during the playoffs.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Two words: Go Predators!!!!!

4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Go Avs!
    I haven't watched a whole lot of hockey this year due to the fact that i'm in the hot and humid deep south where most people still aren't aware of a sport called hockey.
    In fact, when i wear my Avs jersey, a lot of people wonder what in the world am i wearing.

I'm looking forward to the playoffs, hopefully i'll be able to watch a few more games.

Did i mention Go Avs? LOL

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Where I come from we don't say things like "go Aves" :D ;)

Go Wings!

6. PastorSBC1303

Well since the Blackhawks have tanked again this season, I need a team to cheer for in the playoffs....

Any suggestions?

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Any team? Even the Dead Things? ;)

I don't even know who's in the playoffs this season. I'll have to do a bit of research and pretend to be an "expert". You know, like I do for every other sport. :D

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Only the best of course- the Red Wings! :D ;)

With 116 points they dominate the NHL standings.

9. PastorSBC1303

I'm sorry I should have made myself clear. I cannot cheer for the "Dead Things" or any Detroit or St. Louis team.

[​IMG]

Now any serious suggestions? [​IMG]

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

"Dead Things"? I would hardly call leading the NHL going into the playoffs with 116 points dead! Oh but I forget you hailed form that "lesser" state to the south west of us didn't you? That state whose NBA team just got trounced yesterday by 20 plus points. ;) :D

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Predators were hit hard today with word that Thomas Vokoun, they're outstanding goalie, is lost for the year. He posted a record of 36-18-7 with a 2.67 goals-against average and .919 save percentage in 61 games for the Predators this season. Chris Mason will likely fill in, and he's gone 8-5-1 this year. Not good news for us here in Hockey Top.

Who said hockey isn't popular in the south? The Predators have a huge following, and the local minor league team here in Knoxville sells out almost every night. A great atmosphere.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

You are right about the popularity of hockey in the south. Despite the trouble last season, hockey has survived and many of the non-traditional markets have done well this year including Nashville.

That is tought to loose your #1 goalie just before the playoffs, but now is the time for the untested to step up and see what he they can do. The Preads still have some talent, I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to excell.

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Detroit clinched the best record in the NHL last night thereby winning the Presidents Trophy. The Red Wings have won the Presidents Trophy five times in the last 11 years, not other team comes close, only winning it twice.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

My boys also hit a milestone last night. In beating the Blues 2-0, the team notched 100 points for the first time in team history. With every point, we're adding to a team record.

Detroit is obviously the team to beat. What surprises me is that Carolina has the best home record in the NHL and Nashville has the best home record in the Western Conference. That means Detroit must get a lot of points on the road. That makes you tough to eliminate in the playoffs.

I really liked our chances with Vokoun. Mason has played well (his GAA is close to Vokoun's), but I don't think we can get to the Finals with him. Then again, you never know! The NHL playoffs can be squirrely. Right now, we have to worry about locking up home ice in the first round. Then we have to improve our PP if we're going to advance in the postseason. Along with the goaltending of Vokoun, our improved penalty killing has helped our climb up the standings.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

How about my boys, the Predators? Not terribly far from you geographically, I wouldn't think. You gotta love a cinderella story. Nashville has steadily improved over the years. They're incredibly popular here in Tennessee - just as popular as the Titans, if not more so in some pockets.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The Preds are a good team and an NHL sucess story.

The playoffs are totally different that the regular season. Sometimes the team that just squeaked into the playoffs makes a surprisingly deep run, and sometimes the best team going into the playoffs, makes a quick exit in the first round- we here in Detroit know that all too well.

17. PastorSBC1303

Here's hoping for that this year :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have actually been thinking about the Preds or the Carolina team.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Carolina is my favorite eastern conference team.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Carolina is my fave eastern team, too.

I thought the Preds would have a good chance to make one of those deep runs with Vokoun. Their record on home ice and improved penalty killing made me have high hopes about Lord Stanley's Cup coming down Broadway. Maybe Mason will come up big.

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The Playoffs start this week!!

Here are the first round matchups:

Eastern Conferance-

Ottawa/Tampa Bay
    Carolina/Montreal
    NJ/NY Rangers
    Buffalo/Philadelphia

Western Conferance-

Edmonton/Detroit (Go Wings!!)
    Dallas/Colorado