1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Apr 3, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Not having paid much attention to the regular season, which matchups look to be the toughest in the first round?

Nashville seems to have a tough matchup in San Jose, they have been playing pretty well since they acquired Thornton from the Bruins.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Things don't look good for Nashville, but they may still come out on top. Its tough to loose your #1 goal tender right before the playoffs, but thats how heros are born too. Should be an interesting series.

The Dallas/Colorado matchup should be fun to watch, but I believe Dallas has the slight edge and will win in 6 games.

Carolina/Montreal will be fun as well- two fast teams who play well. Carolina should win in 5, but this one could stretch out to even 7 games if the Habes ante-up there play.

Detroit should overcome Edmonton is 5 games simply because they have the edge in a lot of departments. Edmonton will try to tire out the Wings by extending this to seven games, but I don't think that will happen.

Callgary/Anehiem could easily go seven games with the Flames coming out on top.

I think both Buffalo and the Rangers will their series as well.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Here are my predictions for the entire NHL playoffs.

Eastern Conference
    Ottawa over Tampa Bay
    Carolina over Montreal
    NY Rangers over New Jersey
    Buffalo over Philadelphia

Ottawa over Buffalo
    NY Rangers over Carolina

Ottawa over NY Rangers

Western Conference
    Detroit over Edmonton
    Dallas over Colorado
    Calgary over Anaheim
    Nashville over San Jose

Detroit over Nashville
    Dallas over Calgary

Detroit over Dallas

Stanley Cup Finals
    Ottawa over Detroit

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...more Detroit hatred once again clouds ones mind from realism!

Ottawa does not have the defensive ability to slow down Detroits high octane offense.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Here are my predictions:

Eastern Conferance:
    Ottawa over Tampa
    Carolina over Montreal
    NY over NJ
    Phill. over Buffalo

Ottawa over Buffalo
    Carolina over NY

Carolina over Ottawa

Western Conferance:

Detroit over Edmonton
    Dallas over Colorado
    Calgary over Anehiem
    San Jose over Nashville

Detroit over San Jose
    Dallas over Calgary

Detroit over Dallas

Stanly Cup Finals:

Detroit over Carolina
    ----------------------------

If the Red Wings make it to the finals they will win. They have much more experience over any other team in the NHL during the Finals.

6. Kilad

Kilad New Member

You almost got it right ;) its only your last two games that are wrong.

Dallas over Detroit

Then Dallas over Carolina [​IMG]

Other than that it looks good.

Arnt Sports great [​IMG]

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Seriously Dallas is the only real threat I see to Detroit in getting to the Finals.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Bzztt!! Try again. [​IMG]

As I usually do, I made these predictions without emotion or prejudice. My lucky coin said Ottawa over Detroit. If it had come up with Detroit over Ottawa, I would have no issues putting that down.

In my time on the BB, the only time I've made a prediction that wasn't dispassionate was picking the Bears to get into Super Bowl XL and we see how that went. So, I'm back to being dispassionate about who wins. Especially with hockey since I couldn't care less about who wins.

Ottawa scored 9 more goals and allowed 2 fewer than Detroit. Sounds like they're pretty evenly matched to me. Yeah, I'll stand by the Ottawa pick, if only to annoy the Dead Things fans. [​IMG]

9. Kilad

Kilad New Member

Actually after these last two games of the season, Detroit and Columbus, I am abit worried about Dallas. I sure hope that they can get back into the swing of things starting friday night.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I doubt seriously if Detroit will make it past Edmonton. The Oilers should take it in 6. That round starts on Friday. Should have some idea of the series then.
    DHK

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Care to enlighten us why you think that? Especially since it goes against what every prominant person in the sports media says!

Edmonton has an untested goaltender that will fold under the pressure of the playoffs. Chris Pronger is a liabilty as well as he never does well in the playoffs. I just don't see enough offensive firepower in the Oilers to match Detroit's.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Don't be too sure of yourself. During the regular season out of four games with Detroit Edmonton was two wins and two losses with three of those games going to overtime. Detroit won't have an easy time. Roloson is a veteran goaltender, and certainly is not untested.
    DHK

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

This is not a good argument for picking Detroit over Edmonton. The so-called experts have been wrong as equally as they've been right.

I don't know that much about hockey, but I know that a goalie who "stands on his head" can shutdown even the most high powered offense.

DHK makes a pretty strong argument for picking Edmonton over Detroit. I'll still go with Detroit myself, but a 2-2 season series record seems to indicate that Edmonton matches up pretty well with the Wings.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

They are right more than they are wrong. Here is why Detroit will win in 5 games:
    They are the better team: No. 1 on the power play, third overall on the penalty kill, and the best road record in the NHL.

They have more offensive fire power and even though Roloson is experienced, he ability to preform in the playoffs is questionable.

Detroit has good goaltending with Manny Legacy who should prefrom well.

Steve Yzerman is hungry to finish he career with another Cup victory. He had an 11 point streak through the last few games.

Edmonton's Chris Pronger has a history of melting down in the playoffs, and Peca hasn't been meeting expectations.

Finally the Red Wings have more combined total playoff experience than Edmonton.

Let the games begin!

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Date Location Result
    Nov. 3 Detroit Won 4-3 (OT)
    Nov. 17 Edmonton Won 6-5 (OT)
    Mar. 18 Edmonton Lost 3-4 (SO)
    Apr. 11 Detroit Lost 0-2

Note in the first of these four games Edmonton lost to Detroit in overtime at the beginning of November when the Oilers were still going through their shuffle of goaltenders. At that time they didn't have a goaltender, to speak of.

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/features/playoffs/060420/

Mr. Hockey (Gordie Howe) said this today: If the Wings don't win, "Boy they are lazy." But that is his opinion.
    I still think Edmonton has an edge over the Red Wings. I could still quote you a few more facts but these should do for now. The first game is in less than 24 hours from now.
    DHK

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree with Gordie. I don't know where your material came from, but to say that Edmonton has the advantage on the blue line makes no sense. Detroit's defense has been sepctacular this season, and as I said before Chris Pronger has a history of mealting down in the playoffs.

I don't think Detroit will have the "hear we go again" mentality at all. They are good at staying cool under preasure. Plus experience is on their side. Sure the Oilers will probably win a game or two, but they do not have the depth and talent to keep up with Detriot. The only way the Oilers can win is if they have "Hassek like" goaltending from Rolson. And even then then the new NHL is a not a goaltenders league or a defense's leauge. The game is now wide open and fast sharp goal scorers dominate the day, of which the Red Wings have a boatload. If they happen to get cold well then anything could happen, but I seriously doubt that will be the scenerio.

Detroit in 5.

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Here is how the regular season key stats compare:

Edmonton Detroit
    18.1 Power Play (%) 22.1
    84.1 Penalty Killing (%) 85.5
    2.97 Goals For Avg. 3.63
    2.89 Goals Against Avg. 2.49

18. Kilad

Kilad New Member

Today is the day