1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nida interview

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Forever settled in heaven, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Forever settled in heaven

an interesting talk w the father of modern bible translation ... what r the THREE kinds of Bible translations, whom did Rev 13 used to refer to, n do MVs threaten the profession of preaching? here's a short bit:

"I was in Japan trying to push a translation committee there to speed up their work. I took one of the important passages of the New Testament—"The righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith"—and I tried to explain all the problems involved in that very succinct statement. When I got through, they said, "If we made the Bible that clear, what would the preachers have to do?"

I said, "They could preach." Preaching is not exegeting the Greek or Hebrew text. Preaching is applying that message to life. The New Testament is a terribly practical book, and it has a lot of lessons for everyday living.

We translators want to give them a basis for exegeting it right. We always have footnotes because in some passages we don't know what was really meant. There may be two or even three interpretations.

In the case of "The righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith," is this God's own personal righteousness? Or is it the way in which God makes us righteous through our faith in Jesus Christ? These are very important differences, and they ought to be footnoted, ideally in the order in which the truth was recognized by the major part of Christendom."

the rest of the interview at: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/011/2.46.html

2. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

In answer to the question about the righteousness of God being revealed from faith to faith, it should be noted that our faith is to be increased as we walk with the Lord, so this application is not incorrect.

I'd have to say this is one verse that can have different applications due to the fact God is Faithful, and He imputes His righteousness to belivers. This would go on to say that He reveals to those who trust and obey Him, the fact of His faithfulness.

Does the LORD have faith? Well, He certainly is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. It's that faith that He imparts to us that builds our faith in Him, that is according to the facts of His word.

There are many faith builders we experience throughout this Christian walk: Salvation of others, (especially those we thought would never get saved), the miraculous outcome to situations we had totallly given up on, except through prayer, (now that could be considered a contradiction, since by faith we expect the Lord to answer our prayer). [​IMG]

So how should this verse be interpeted? Everyway that faith in the redemptive work of Christ applies. Faith looking towards the Cross before Calvary, faith as we look back to the Cross as we put on that whole armour of God to move forward by that same faith. We walk by faith, not by sight, but what we see as revealed through faith has only the positive effect; more faith to serve the Lord. That is from faith to faith. [​IMG]

The question has been asked for years,"Does God work miracles today?" Of course He does! He worked a miracle when He saved me! :D

In Christ,

Brother Ricky

3. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

P.S. The righteouseness of God we have revealed to us here and now while on this earth, is only the foretaste of glory Divine. Just wait until that very Righteousness is viewed in the presence of His Royal Majesty! Now that will be going from faith to faith!

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

For some reason, I do not recognize this guy's name. I have never heard of 'em.

1. Preaching is about exegeting the text. Does a preacher have to know greek and hebrew? No. Should a preacher know greek and hebrew? Yes. We must be able to take the passage and clearly explain it. The application must be taken from the interpretation.

This guy appears to be saying that the preacher just needs to make the passage practical. What a ghastly thought!

2. The righteousness of God refers specifically to God's righteousness. Many passages bear this out. Faith is not righteousness. Faith is what connects people to God's righteousness. That is an important distinction.

John Piper recently wrote a book addressing this very thing. I think it is called "The Righteousness of God." You can find it at www.desiringgod.org.