1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NIV in the News

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Mar 18, 2011.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't want to go round the mulberry bush again, but you're painting with an awfully big brush, making some sweeping generalizations, and generally are letting your presuppositions rule. The main difference between the NLT and the TNIV was not what was done but how the translations were born. I've yet to see one reputable analysis that doesn't have the NLT further down the DE continuum than either the NIV or TNIV. So that's why I think your assertion is not accurate. You're hung up on gender language, and that's unfortunate. There's a lot more to translation taxonomy than that.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go back to Robert Snow's post number 33. He thinks the changes made in the TNIV and the 2011 NIV were mistakes and prefers the NLT. I said that was inconsistent thinking. If folks would be honest and criticisms that are aimed at the 2011 NIV should also be levied against the NLTse.

Sure I know that the NLTse and 2011 NIV (which I will simply call the NIV)are different kinds of translations. But despite the fact that in the famous charts the NLT is placed more in the dynamic category,many lump the two together as being dynamic.

What are my sweeping generalizations?

3. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

wrong place. sorry..........

#43 sdonahue1, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
  4. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

Especially when it is against YOUR favoured translation. It all depends on whose ox is being gored, does it not?

5. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

Against YOUR favoured translation. It all depends on whose ox is being gored.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm,your original post number #9 had to have a remark deleted by the mods. So now in post #45 you're coming back with the above? Very weak indeed.

I would never say what you did in post #9 about any modern version or older one. So it doesn't "depend" as far as I am concerned.