1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NIV & New Age Movement by Al Lacey

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DeclareHim, Jul 19, 2004.

1. michelle

michelle New Member

--------------------------------------------------

Michelle:The mv's that claim to be the words of God are the ones GUILTY of TAKING AWAY verses of scripture.

robycop quoted:
    You keep saying this, but you've never attempted to PROVE it. There's a greater case that some material was ADDED than there is for some being omitted.

This is the last time I will say this to you. It has been given to you many times, by many people, and you CHOOSE TO DENY IT. I also am not going to get into the endless circular discussion of the KJB having "additions" in God's words. I strongly recommend that you meditate upon this verse: John 16.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

2. michelle

michelle New Member

Uh, but michelle, if in the light of this passage of Scripture (2 Timothy 2:14-16), (while constantly rebuking and reproving us for our faithlessness), you are here posting on the BB?

Why?

I ask the same of you?

michelle

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is highly unlikely that anyone in the congregation of an early church would have owned a Bible. Only about one to two percent could even read. A scroll would have been so incredibly expensive that the majority could not afford one.

With that said here we are arguing about which Bible to read. I suspect if the majority of Christians shook the dust off the Bible they owned and applied Mt. 28:19,20 we would have little discussion about versions.

When I first became a Christian I had a KJV Bible and understood little of what I read. The I bought a NAS and read it more. Then a friend of mine gave me Living letters and Living Proverbs. I said to him, "Where did you get this? This is great!" He bought them for me. From that point on I read about one hour per day. Before that I read just a few verses. I read more because I understood more. Later I went to seminary and understood even more after that experience.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

In my KJV John 6 is a chapter [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. michelle

michelle New Member

In my KJV John 6 is a chapter

Please do not take this as being addressed to you C4K, because you seemsd to have done this in a light-hearted, and joking manner, as I obviosly goofed. I don't mind that. But there have been many on these threads, who expect posters here, to be infallible when it comes to posting in ALL regards. Now as IMPOSSIBLE as that is in reality for a fallible human being, I find it quite ironic coming from those mv proponents. Why do I say this? Because they have EXPECTATIONS of fallible MEN to be perfect on these threads, and probably in the world also, but they do not HOLD THIS STANDARD OF EXPECTATION when it comes to the VERY WORDS OF GOD. Go figure. We fallible men must be perfect in all respects, but NOT THE WORDS OF GOD, because God never said he would. The DIFFERENCE IS, that GOD DID SAY HE IS PERFECT AS WELL AS HIS WORDS. And HE has also told us that no man is. I admit and know I am not perfect, nor can I be. You expect from man, what you SHOULD BE EXPECTING AND BELIEVING OF GOD AND HIS WORDS.

michelle

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for understanding the way I meant it - and a nice recovery to make an application.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Michelle,

While I do not admire your stand or your views on this issue - I do admire your tenacity.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked first.

OK, I'll answer this way:

James 3
    13 Who [is] a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
    14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
    15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but [is] earthly, sensual, devilish.
    16 For where envying and strife [is], there [is] confusion and every evil work.
    17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, [and] easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
    18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

HankD

9. michelle

michelle New Member

Uh, but michelle, if in the light of this passage of Scripture (2 Timothy 2:14-16), (while constantly rebuking and reproving us for our faithlessness), you are here posting on the BB?

Why?

Is there hope for us after all?

HankD

Hank,

This is just a portion of why I come here:

Col. 2
    2 Timothy 4:1-5
    Hebrews 6
    1 Peter
    2 John 1
    1 Cor.12
    Eph.4 and 6

Thank you for answering the question.

michelle

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for the compliment michelle:

2 Timothy 4:4 - For every creature of God is good and nothing is to be refused, if it is to be received with tanksgiving.

At least you think that your opponents are good and not to be refused.

Does that also apply to modern translations of the scriptures?

11. michelle

michelle New Member

Thanks for the compliment michelle:

2 Timothy 4:4 - For every creature of God is good and nothing is to be refused, if it is to be receied with tanksgiving.

At least you think that your opponents are good and not to be refused.

Does that also apply to modern translations of the scriptures?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Timothy 4

1. I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
    2. Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
    3. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

michelle

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, I see that the 2 Timothy 4 passage is clearly what michelle is all about, however the how or the method is lacking.

In the same book:

2 Timothy 2
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all [men], apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

FWIW and IMO you need work in this area.

God's results require His methods?

HankD

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Whoops - my bad [​IMG]
    I was in 1 Timothy

14. michelle

michelle New Member

2 Timothy 2
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all [men], apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

FWIW and IMO you need work in this area.

God's results require His methods?

HankD

I don't deny that I do, and never said that I didn't. I pray daily about this. I do not deny that I sometimes handle things the wrong way, but the Lord is always gracious to show me, when I need it. However, I am not the only one this applies to. This truth is for and applies to all of us who belong to Jesus Christ.

michelle

15. michelle

michelle New Member

Whoops - my bad
    I was in 1 Timothy

It is okay. I thought that was what you did, but wasn't altogether sure either. Sometimes I have a hard time with picking up sarcasm or just ordinary boo-boos on here. That is why I thought it best just to show you.

michelle

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Seeing how we have a 20 page limit and this would probably exceed that while I am in bed, and not knowing if the other mods are around. And seeing how I think we have all said about all that we can on the original topic of the NIV and New Age movement I am going to shut this one down before I go to bed. If any of my fellow mods see a need to reopen it feel free to.

Thanks to all who contibuted to the discussion.

Roger