1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Black Nurses

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

First, you assume I fully agree with this man - I DO NOT.
    I am looking at the principal of the overall issue - which is does a person have the right to determine who provides services to him. Not only from a racial view - but for any service provided.

Second, if the man had wanted to go to court to insist on (what he believed to be) his rights. It is possible he could not financially be able to do so. AGAIN, I am not talking about only this issue involving race - but for any reasonable issue.

Here is the situation - what one person thinks is reasonable may not be reasonable to someone else. The job of the govt - especially the courts is to ensure the rights of all - even if those rights seem unreasonable to you and me.

May I add one final statement - Everyone has made his opinion - I was trusting someone would make one recommendation - which so far has not happened.

WOULD YOU PRAY FOR THIS MAN -Would you ask the Lord for an opportunity to come in contact with him (or others like him) and share the Love of the Lord?

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It was settled because it was clearly discriminatory one for the patient to request it and two for the hospital to grant it. Her case was against the hospital as it should have been. The hospital knows better and that's why the CEO came back and said at no time was the man told that they could honor his request.

The hospital wasn't afraid he would win. This is a case of someone not knowing the law and knowing that she can't tell her employees that you can only work on Black patients, White patients, etc.

A patient can make a request, but a hospital, a public hospital cannot discriminate based upon one of those protected classes no matter what the patient demands.

If they don't like the services provided at the PUBLIC hospital, they may choose a private hospital.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he's not getting what he wants there, go elsewhere. He doesn't have a right to force others to participate in his bigotry.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what you are saying is that if a female patient does not want a male nurse, the hospital cannot honor her request, as the hospital cannot discriminate based upon a protected class - ie gender.

BTW, what law says a patient cannot discriminate on which staff provides services based on a "protected" class?

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chaney v. Plainfield

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Gender has been found to be the only thing that the courts are allowing patients to haggle about as patient modesty is a big ethical and privacy concern when practicing medicine.

Most places will just tell you whether or not they are going to be able to accommodate your request, and if they cannot, give you the option to go elsewhere.

It's not the patient. It's the HOSPITAL. She sued the hospital. And as stated, Title VII, prohibits use of race as an occupational qualification, and that/s what it prima facie(on the surface) becomes when you tell white nurses you can only work on white patients or tell black nurses you can only work on black patients. You would end up not hiring qualified black nurses just because there are more white patients, or you would reject an equally qualified white nurse from being hired just because the patients were black.

#46 Zaac, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.