1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Christmas song

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by steveo, Dec 16, 2005.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

I am a pastor who plays guitar and played professionally for many years before becoming a christian so my daughter asked me to play for her music class.
    So her music teacher asked me to come, so I told her I could lead the kids in songs like Jingle bells, We wish you a Merry Christmas, & Silent Night.
    She said that she would rather not do Silent Night because it might offend someone.
    I was speechless since I always heard this kind of nonsense but thought this wouldn't be going on at our public school. Give me a break.

2. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Who would have ever thought that Silent Night would offend someone? :confused:

3. steveo

steveo New Member

No matter what someone will be offended.
    If we started a religion that says we don't believe in fictional characters would they stop singing about rudolph and frosty.
    Gee wiz
    I'm praying about what I should do since my daughter is looking forward to me playing my guitar. I thought about just doing a show and tell and not playing any christmas songs but just tell the kids about guitars.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The teacher is overreacting. There's nothing forbidding the playing of traditional carols in the public school. That fact has been tried and tested in courts many times.

In fact, my 15yo daughter, who is in her public school band, recently performed for their annual school christmas concert. There were sacred carols galore. BTW, her school handbell choir played "Silent Night". Again, this was a public school.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

My family and I just attended our public school's 1st and 2nd grade Christmas concert. Our daughter in 1st grade was singing in it. They did several songs and included in it were Silent Night and Away in a Manager.

6. patrioticcamerican

Isn't it sad that this is even an issue?

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I'd sing it anyway or at least away in a manger, Little drummer boy, Mary did you know..... or something got to be better than Grandmaw got ran over by a rain deer, or I saw mommy kissin Satans Claws. :eek:

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, it is a piece of history that Silent Night was written for a beginner on the guitar, since the organ was broken that Christmas long ago. So that could be a part of your presentation, explaining that it only uses the three main chords in the key.

Are you allowed to sing We wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS anymore? I thought they changed that to SPLENDID HOLIDAY?

9. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I deplore the proliferation of the phrase Happy Holidays as a substitute for the phrase Merry Christmas.

However, I also accept the right of every man to even reject Christ Himself, let alone christmas, and so I urge all of us to not be mean spirited and actually fuss at somebody who says happy holidays.

Instead, just reply "thank you, I hope to have a merry Christmas, which holiday will you be celebrating?

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Silent Night is the one carol I can do from memory, so if I forgot my hymnal they'ld be getting that one anyway...

...or Smoke On The Water... :rolleyes: :D

It's a music class so tell teacher to take a short walk off a tall cliff into a deep lake...then show the kids how to get Silent Night's melody to come out by picking the chords [​IMG]

11. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

12. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Steveo,
    This is prophecy, the end times are closer all the time. We are expected to "speak softly and not carry Christian Song on our lips".

Part of that was from a speech Teddy Roosevelt made in which he said "speak softly and carry a big stick".

Where I live there are those who would be happy if all Christians disappeared, and some day their wishes will come true.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :D [​IMG]