1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Gravestone for Casey Sheehan

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 24, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/editorial/14643487.htm

A day to accept a memorial

A famous casualty of the Iraq war may - and should - get the monument he deserves.
    By Thomas Lipscomb

EXCERPT

On a pleasant hillside in the Vacaville-Elmira cemetery in California, there is a grave that still has no gravestone almost two years after a brave young soldier was buried there.

According to his mother, he was born on Memorial Day and died at age 24 on April 4, 2004, fighting with the First Cavalry Division in a militia- and terrorist-infested district of Baghdad named Sadr City. He was not an unknown soldier. In fact, thanks to his mother's constant use of his name in media appearances, he may be the best-known soldier of the Iraqi war. He's Casey Austin Sheehan, the son of antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan.

The expense of a memorial gravestone is a problem for many people on limited incomes. But Cindy Sheehan was the beneficiary of $250,000 from her son's insurance policy. Besides, the federal government pays for funeral expenses and a simple marble marker. As a veteran, Casey Sheehan also merited a free plot with perpetual care in one of the nation's many national cemeteries.

2. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

" In the January issue of Vanity Fair she is pictured in a two-page spread lying on her son's unmarked grave in a black jumpsuit with tennis shoes."
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Excuse me while I vomit.

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

What business is it of yours what she does with her own son's grave?

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Photo ops make it everyone's business.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My business or not, it's in print and that puts it out there for comment.

The lack of a marker is odd to say the least. Her laying on the grave for a Vanity Fair spread is odder still.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Big deal. My father's ashes are still sitting in my bookcase as we children have not yet gotten together to scatter them as agreed. That doesn't mean we don't love him. The time will come and until then it is no one's business outside the family.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

When you have made yourself a public figure as Ms. Sheehan has, you open yourself up to praise and criticism. Ultimately, it is her family's decision to do whatever they wish with the grave site. People who agree with Ms. Sheehan must not give her blanket carte blanche. People who disagree with her positions must not use this as a "gotcha" moment.

8. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cindy says:

"For the first year after Casey was killed, I didn't want to believe it. I didn't want to place a TOMBstone on my son's grave. I didn't want one more marble proof that my son was dead. I couldn't even call where he was buried a "cemetery," I had to call it "Casey's Park."

...as she scrambles to excuse the inexcusable.

10. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Looks like we have faked each other out carpo so I'll go ahead and repost what we've both removed. :cool:

"The good news is that Casey Sheehan's father, Patrick, has had enough of this and has quietly arranged with a local monument company to erect a memorial. Wouldn't it be fitting if it were in place in time for Casey Sheehan's birthday, which this year once again falls on Memorial Day?"

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

She also received 3000 dollars to help defray the costs of such a marker from the people of the United States.

I sympathize with his father. Marking a grave says that he made a difference in this world and gives credit to the man resting there.

What a terrible thing to make a mockery out of it by laying on the ground like your sunbathing and then allowing it to be published.

13. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

There are cemetaries that have no markers at all. Are you all against burying someone in that kind of cemetary?

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

No StraightAndNarrow, I'm not against it. BUT Sheehan obviously didn't have Casey buried in that kind of cemetary. I see stones in the picture, and I don't think this issue would have come up if that were the case.

15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cindy Sheehan is in denial. It is that simple. As long as she does not have to buy a headstone, he is not dead. This kind of denial is sort of common.

Martin.

16. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

There are still markers in those kinds of cemeteries, they are just flat and regulated to a certain size. Besides, someone marked it with flowers. And she does not appear to be ripping them out of the ground.

Agree with mcdirector on this one. I dont think she is in denial Martin, all her activities act to the contrary. I think she enjoys the limelight.