1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured No Law- no happiness

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    convicted1

The two laws that Christ was talking about were the Laws of love. The one who is born of God is born of love because He is love. We keep the moral law, not by ourselves, but rather, because the Law Keeper(Jesus Christ) is within us. We are dead, and our lives are hid with Christ in God. We, as sinners, could not keep the Law, the ceremonial or moral Law. As sinners, we weren't moral whatsoever. Sure, as sinners, we may have be anti-gay marriage, anti-shacking up before marriage, always being honest with our fellow man, etc., but we were amoral in God's eyes because Christ's blood wasn't shed upon our souls.

The only reason why we can keep the moral law is because of Jesus Christ being the Captain of our ship.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup::applause::type:

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother, I honestly think we're closer to this than either of us believes, and that's including Brother Rick. Christ came to die for sinners, and to usher in the Grace Covenant as we read it post-cross.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...some dispensational teachers suggest errors that lead to antinomian teaching which is the danger.....Love is the Fulfilling of the law...

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

The ten commandments are still in effect. Jesus was a law keeper,as well as grace giver:thumbsup:

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

So by Moral Law you mean the Ten commandments?

Why do you jump to the conclusion that Psalm 1:2 is speaking of the Decalogue?

Sincere questions not trying to be facetious.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, Jesus' two laws ENCOMPASS the whole law- they do not ERADICATE it.

BTW, they do not begin in the New Testament. They find their moorings IN THE OLD TESTAMENT LAW.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The moral law includes the Ten Commandments.

When the word "law" is used it does not exclusively refer to just the Ten Commandments. You are right there. But what it never does is EXCLUDE them.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Okay, why then were the Ten Commandments that were engravened in stone all "Thou shalt not", and the two that are written upon our hearts both "Thou shalt"?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what Jesus said:

18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother. Lu 18

25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and made trial of him, saying, Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?26 And he said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
    27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.
    28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. Lu 10

That's not what Paul said:

for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified Ro 2:13

#28 kyredneck, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is none righteous, no, not one. = James 2:10 (guilty of one sin, guilty of all) Rom 2:13 merely relates to the attempt to follow the laws in which faith is seen.

..justification is by the law of faith -always, grace comes through faith. This is made clear as Paul continues his message in Romans chapter 3:

(Rom 3:27) Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
    (Rom 3:28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You stopped right before you should have, Brother Larry. Go on down and let's see what else Jesus told him:

21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

He was looking for self justification, and w/o Jesus, we have none.

Yeah, but you stopped right before this got really good.

Luke 10:29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

This man was looking to justify himself, and then Jesus ripped him up the back.

The thing is the Law was weak in that it pertained to the flesh, iow, it was a fleshly covenant. God required man to keep it, and eventhough He knew they couldn't, they were required nonetheless. Why? It was to show them that they can not keep themselves, and to show us the same thing. The Law is Just, Holy, and Good, because it came from God. But the recepients weren't. If any could keep the Law, and be blameless, then Christ died in vain.

So, why were the Ten Commandents engravened in stone all started with "Thou shalt not", and the two written upon our hearts all started with "Thou shalt"?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The law cannot raise a man from death in sin and trespasses. That's all that convicted was saying. At least that's what I think he was saying. His reply gives me some doubt . . .

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's no doubt the young man thought he had kept the commandments. Looks like "Thou shalt not covet" got him.

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Plus I think commandment #1 got him too........

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is my opinion, like the other 35 opinions on this thread, about the law. Of course, the law does not save. However, it does make it quite clear the gap between us and a Holy God. It is a part of understanding the Gospel leading to salvation. Our nature is to obey the law after salvation through the power of the Holy Spirit. A lost person might attempt to obey the law, in his own power, by memorizing and trying to live them. It always results in failure.

I thought of another angle to Luke's connection between the law and happiness. For the Christian, there is nothing more miserable than being outside the will of the Lord when we go back to a sin for a temporary time. In that sense, we are happier when we obey the law, as any child of God would be.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Can't say I disagree with this.

Now, why do the Ten Commandments engraven on stone, all start with "Thou shalt not", and the two written upon our hearts, start with "Thou shalt"?

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is a good point. The difference between law and grace I suppose. So are you saying we cannot substitute "thou shalt" on the 10 commandments? LOL

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Who embodied those Ten Commandments written and engravened on stone? JESUS CHRIST.

Who was the One who kept them blameless? JESUS CHRIST.

Who fulfilled them? JESUS CHRIST.

Who abolished the Law? JESUS CHRIST.(I am referring to the ceremonial law)

We can keep the Law now because the Law Keeper lives within us now. They couldn't keep the Law in the OT days because their mediator was a man, whose office was that of the High Priest. He was a fleshly man who had to make a sacrifice for himself as well. Now that Jesus has tasted death for us, when we are saved, He comes in and now lives within us. We are dead and our lives are hid with Christ in God. We have the two "Thou shalts" within us now. They didn't in the OT days. That's why they couldn't, and we can.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't all: Remember the Sabbath, and Honor your father and mother do not begin that way.

It is also written in the law to love God and to love one's neighbor as one's self, which is the sum of two tables.