1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Middle Ground

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 21, 2003.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

DHK,

If Jesus was only talking about false prophets and teachers then why does he say "but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter" and "DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS"?

Jesus does not say "those who teach...", Jesus says "those who practice".
    </font>[/QUOTE]Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. KJV

Matthew 7:23 Then I will tell them, 'I never knew you. Depart from me, you who work iniquity.' WEB

Matthew 7:23 and then will I avow unto them, I never knew you. Depart from me, workers of lawlessness. DARBY

Matthew 7:23 and then I will acknowledge to them, that--I never knew you, depart from me ye who are working lawlessness. YOUNG’S

My profession is preaching the gospel, and teaching the Word. That is what I practice. That is my work.
    Jesus was speaking of the work and practice of false teachers.
    DHK

2. Frank

Frank New Member

Helen:
    Sorry, I am so late responding to you about salvation in heaven. An obedient active faith does not merit us heaven. However, the failure to follow the will of God will result in us being lost. Those who keep his commandments will be blessed. Rev. 22:14;2;10. Salvation is IN Christ. II Tim. 2:10. In fact, those who are not IN Christ are lost. Yes, Christ is also IN Us. Gal. 2:20. So, to clarify the misunderstanding, the Bible teaches that one who has an obedient actrive faith will be blessed in heaven. The one who does not will be lost. Mat. 7:21, 22.

3. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Jesus was speaking of the work and practice of false teachers.

Are you saying that it is false teachers who have the most to fear by their works and deeds?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Cordially in Christ through the Theotokos

Brother Ed

4. Frank

Frank New Member

Helen:
    Mark 16:9-20 is in the Bible because of the number of manuscripts that contain the passages.
    A misleading statement in the A.S.V. has inserted in regard to Mk.16:9-20, " The two oldest manuscripts omit verse 9 to the end." As far as is known " the two oldest Greek manuscripts" ( the first century autographs) have been lost. The A.S.V. translators meant the two oldest Greek manuscripts available ( namely, Aleph and B of the fourth century) omit the verses.

These verses are attested by A 5th, C 5th, D 5th- 6th, W 5th, K 9th, Theta 9th, L 9th, L 8th, Phi 6th, indeed by ALL GREEK MANUSCRIPTS EXCEPT S and B" 9.

If one rejects Mk 16:9-20 on the strength of Aleph and B he is embarassed, for in numerous places their combined testimony leaves the Bible contradictory and the reader confussed. In the following citations Aleph and B testify erroneously: Mt 1:7,8,10; 5:22; 27:9,Mk. 1:2; 2:26;6:22;7:4; Lk. 2:22; 4:44; Jn.1:28,42; 21:15,16,21.

Moreover, if the text ended at Mark 8 it is a melancholy statement that the women were afraid. Furthermore, to end a sentence with GAR is most unusual and no instance has ever been found where this is used.

Therefore, one who denies that Mark 16:9-20 does so in light of the overwhelming and incontrovertible evidence it belongs in the text.

Source: Dr. Hugo Mc Cord, Th.D. from the Southern Baptist theological seminary.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Absolutely. Dare I use a concrete example. How about Benny Hinn. I don't believe Benny Hinn is a saved individual. According Mat.7:20, "Ye shall know them by their fruits." That is, the things that they say and teach. Benny Hinn is a false prophet, exactly the kind of person Jesus said to be aware of. He has made many false prophesies, none of which have come true. He has prophesied the coming of Christ, the raising of the dead. He is a fraud. And yet he has a great following. He does "signs and wonders." He casts out demons. He does the kind of things that Jesus mentions. He comes in the name of Jesus. But he doesn't KNOW Jesus. He has the most to fear.
    For Jesus will say unto him, "Depart from me ye wicked into everlasting fire for I never KNEW you."
    Beware of false prophets.
    DHK