1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No More Pork

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of pork in the defense budget.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I sent a suggestion via the change.gov site suggesting Obama to let McCain clean up the defense budget like he said he could do in the campaign. He said, "I know where the waste is and I will get rid of all of it". I figure if he knows where it is, let him toss it out. He should be able to cut the waste without impacting the troops or the nations defense.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds like a good idea.

Several years ago the Air Force wanted to kill a multi-billion project. Several billion had already been spent and the new plane was simply a disaster. But the good Senator from the manufacturers state got his buddies to back him and forced the AF to continue the project. Jobs were more important than money or a good product for the Air Force. If my memory is correct it was the Lockheed C-130J which had so many problems the Air Force said it was unfit to fly in combat situations ... perhaps even to fly at all ... can not remember for sure.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Every President for at least 28 years, including Ronald W. Reagan, George H. W. Bush, William J. Clinton and George W. Bush (and I actually believe even longer than that) has called for the "line item veto."

That is no closer to reality now than it was then, regardless of the political make-up of the Congress over all those years, although Congress did somehow manage to find a way to limit itself and the Commander-in-Chief in the military matters of military funding and base closings, somehow.

Strange!

Ed

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm hoping those days are behind us. With our new deficit we will have to trim the fat even if it means jobs from a worthless project so we can invest that month it something of worth and employ the people there. I believe we need a better system of repairing battle damaged equipment so we can get it back on the front line. I hear there are shortages of equipment.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We're forgetting something about the Line Item Veto - SCOTUS struck it down. So the Constitution would have to be amended.

In theory, I like the idea of limiting Congress members. But I've yet to see a proposal of how to do it effectively. (Obviously, laying aside the edit/repeal of the provision in Art I., Sec 2 of the Constitution). Same is true with term limits. You can't limit house members to say, four terms, when one senate term equals three house terms. The fact that our founders did not envision a need for legislators to have term limits says something when they did envision a need for the chief executive.

I personally wonder about the need for a bicameral legislature. Since the need for a bicam to start was the fact that one was popularly elected and one wasn't, and seeing as how that no longer applies, do we need a two-headed legislature? Does any state need this?

Again, I'm curious as to how we could make a unicameral legislature work.

Back to the line item veto. It was a Republican congress that gave this to Bill Clinton. Interesting.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I thought that was Kidney Pie.

Perhaps you can get some haggis from Scotland I sure some good Southerner would ship you some pig brains and eggs or at least a recipe. There is a small town in SC that has a Chitlin Strut every fall. It is becoming very popular. I understand once you get past the smell you are OK.

For those who complain this is off topic: pig is Pork, Chitlins are Pork, haggis has Pork in it. So that leaves eggs, guess they come from chiken.

#27 OldRegular, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008