1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No More VBS

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bible Believing Bill, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then adult church needs to be a time when we praise God with all of our being, and not just mumble stuffy sounding hymns and fall asleep during the sermon. Seems your adult church IS boring and you like it that way. But some of us don't.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I agree.

I agree. What qualifies as a "stuffy sounding hymn"? I am not familiar with the term and not sure how to find a definition of it.

What do you base that one? Have you visited here and I didn't know it? Or are you just making that up?

Again, how do you know? Have we talked about this before? Because to my knowledge, I haven't revealed any of my thoughts about this topic here in this thread.

How do you know I am not one of the "us" who doesn't like it?

Debby, honestly, aren't you jumping to some huge conclusions here? Aren't you assuming an awful lot about what I believe about things and how I practice?

And most importantly, aren't you significantly devoid of Scripture in your arguments that worship should be fun and not boring? (As if those are the only two options.)

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK.
    "Fun" not necessarily in the sense of Ha-ha, or self-centered pleasure seeking.
    But "fun" as the opposite of doing something boring, uninteresting, so difficult that I can't keep up, that I don't understand, that doesn't relate to anything I know or feel.
    In other words, interesting, within my ability, that I understand, and that makes sense to who I am.

So to a kid who lives in the city, coming into the average adult worship service, like my church used to have, would be so foriegn to them that anything said, sung, or done would have little chance of even getting their attention, much less a return visit.

A group of adults dressed in business suits, singing 19th century hymns out of a book and then listening to a sermon filled with words specific to the Christian subculture is not my idea of a good way to engage a child for the purpose of learning and responding to the Gospel.

I am finished debating this issue. Besides, I have to get my lesson plan done for Sunday. We're learning how Jesus walked on water, and how Peter did too, when he trusted the Lord. And I have to find the blue food coloring to put in the frosting for the cookies. Oh, I better explain myself: as a small part of the lesson the kids are putting blue frosting on cookies and topping them with two teddy grahams to represent Jesus and Peter. Won't that be fun?

4. booklady

booklady New Member

Tonight's the last night of our VBS, then tomorrow we're having hot dogs and games and inviting the parents to come.

The gospel has been cleary presented each night.

A junior age child was saved last night. Praise the Lord! Yeah, I think all the work has been worth it.:godisgood:

Now, I know church isn't about having fun but I'm pretty sure the 2 and 3 year olds had fun this week. We tried really hard to just give them the gospel and not let them have any fun but I'm afraid we failed. :smilewinkgrin:

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

That's a good thing to fail at.

6. booklady

booklady New Member

Oh, yes. We failed miserably. tee hee