1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured No one deserved to be saved. Why the angst with Particular redemption?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by SovereignGrace, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't. He did. He regenerated me and enabled me to believe, repent, and follow him.

He gave me faith at the moment I was regenerated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The White Sox.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo using Tapatalk.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Well if I misread explain how we can be saved/regenerated before we believe? Explain how that works, Please.

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So you believed after you were saved. How does that match up with believe and thou shalt be saved/regenerated. You have agreed that regeneration=salvation so how does that work being saved to believe?

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    His sheep. Amen!

John 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
    15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
    16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation and regeneration are not the same thing.

No, I have not so agreed. Regeneration is much different from salvation. That is like saying "birth = all of life." That is purely nonsensical!

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean regeneration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duh! LOL!

9. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

'If' you misread it? No, it's 'since', not 'if'.

Go reread it and pray that God will grant you to see without the lens of presuppositions you hold to. You misread almost everything due to this, and find support from ODT's for your beliefs that don't exist in the quotes you provide of them.

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Could regeneration be seen as the beginning of salvation, the begettal of salvation?

1 Peter 1:3-9 The power of God verse 5?

#70 percho, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  11. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually gave you some examples of limitations of his power. He does not have the power to create a god identical to himself. He does not have the power to create a squared circle. He does not have the power to make 2+2=5. He does not have the power to deny himself.

As for the limits on the grace, would you agree that God's grace has varying degrees? Certainly, the bride receives far more grace than Hitler. This is why we have terms like common grace and such.

As for limits on the atonement... you believe it is limited, unless you are a universalist. We just disagree with who is doing the limiting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bzzzzzz! Wrong! We do not limit God. It is your side of this debate that does that. You guys say God does His part and then after you do yours, you're saved. Bzzzz! Wrong again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea of the OP was that both sides agree that no one deserved to be saved. If God had not came as Christ, we would deservedly end up in hell.

So if Christ came and saved 1, or 555, or 1,589,258, or 15,269,489,258,125 or 'gooseegg', those who die and go to hell, still never deserved to be saved to begin with.

So, why the angst?

14. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bzzzzzz! Wrong!! It magnifies His grace. For Him to even save one sinner who rightly deserved hell show His grace.

Christ said He did. He said 1) "I lay My life down for the sheep"[John 10], "I pray for them You gave Me and not the world"[John 17], and Paul said Christ died for the church[Ephesians 5:25]. The payment, limited by God in Christ, was limited to His chosen ppl, His sheep. We did not limit it, He did. Take that up with Him and not us.

Huh? Whaaa? Srsly? Who has stated to the contrary? God grace is without limits, but He has limited who He bestows it upon. Again, gotta problem, take it up with Him and not us.

#74 SovereignGrace, Apr 14, 2016
  15. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this.

I also agree with this.

And if everybody's sins atoned for, you walk smack int universalism. His atoning sacrifice brought with it, propitiation. Propitiation satisfied God's wrath towards sin. If everybody's sins were atoned for via Christ's crosswork, then God has no wrath toward sin and sinners. Hello universalism.

Again, if Christ died for all, then all will be saved. Hello universalism. Period. End of story.

And how cruel would God be to spit upon the work of His Son? Why do I ask it? That is what universal atonement does. Christ died for them, but then God turns around and tosses them headlong into hell, all the while having their sins already atoned for. Hello universalism. Period. End of story.

#75 SovereignGrace, Apr 14, 2016
  16. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ppl do not believe because they are dead in their sins. They do not believe because they hate Him. They do not believe because their heart is a cold, dead stone.

Even the ability to believe is wrought by God. Please read John 6:30.

17. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even demons believe and also shudder. Does that mean they'll be saved, too?

18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bzzzzzzz!! Wrong!! Who has ever avowed this? Show me just one post.

Until God quickens the dead, they can not believe. They hate Him, they all things about Him. Until you realize how radically depraved we were and the unregenerate still are, you'll arrive at the same wrong conclusions until doomsday.

Look at Ezekiel 37 and how God brought to life those jumbled up, dry bones. What belief did they exercise when they came back to life? The widow woman's dead son in Luke 7, what belief did he exercise when Christ brought him back to life? What belief did Lazarus exercise when Christ called him out of his tomb?

Until you realize that regeneration is different from conversion, you'll arrive at the same wrong conclusions until doomsday.

It is once God has quickened the sinner, that they exercise 'believe on the Lord and you shall be saved', and not before.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, exactly. Just as birth is the beginning of life (yeah, yeah, I know, but it is an illustration) so also the new birth is the beginning of our New Life. :)

20. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

He quickens after one believes and He demands our believing on the Son! Then He gives the gift of salvation after one has placed their in His dear Son. Ephesians 2:8 &9 "For by Grace are you saved through Faith and not of ourselves it (salvation) is the gift of God, lest any man should boast."
    We are to follow God's commandments and one of those commands for salvation is to believe. But let's look again at Eph. 2:8, for by Grace ye saved through Faith. Now which word is the verb? "Saved" thus it sets the subject or syntax of the verse, so that when one gets to the prepositional phrase it is the gift, the Pronoun it relates back to the verb, which is "saved or salvation." So therefore Salvation is the gift of God. How do we obtain that gift, by Grace, but what means through Faith, so we must believe in order to be saved. Grace brings salvation and God requires everyone to Believe on the Son in order to be saved. So that salvation makes us reborn, that we become Spiritually born, why must we be spiritually born, because we are spiritually dead in trespasses and sins and devoid of spiritual things.
    And this is seen for the command in John 3:
    2 "he same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
    3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
    4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?"
    Notice verse 3 "except a man be born again" How does one gain the second birth, that is salvation and the second birth is also regeneration,

Now one more thing in John 3:
    14 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    Christ was lifted up on the cross so that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, How do they not perish? They gain eternal life and what life is eternal? Spiritual life, and the spiritual life is brought about by belief. Then going to Revelation 20:
    14 "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."
    Notice failure to believe causes one to suffer the second death. You think that is stretch, let's see this takes us right back to John 3:
    36 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."
    Those who believe on the Son have everlasting Life, that would mean their names must be written in the book of life seen in Revelation 20 and what about those who believe not, they shall not see life, wow, right back to Revelation 20 death, that is those who died in their trespasses and sin don't see life they suffer the second death, that is eternally separated from God, why, Jesus said because they don't believe.

Now that begs the question, if God requires one to believe and scripture is very clear He does then why would He regenerate some before they are reborn by believing and not others when Jesus clearly states in John 12:32, He would Draw ελκυσω, Elkyo, now I have heard that this means to drag as a net, but according to George Ricker Berry's Greek Lexicon, this word only sometimes involves force, often not. In its use here it means to draw over, to persuade. Thus Jesus is saying He would persuade men to come to Him. How, faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of GOD.
    Revelation 22:17
    "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."
    The Spirits message to all is come, the churches message to all is come, the invitation is to all to come and take the water of life freely, it is the gift of God, not of works and it is obeying God's command to believe and the Holy Spirits' persuasion to come.

#80 revmwc, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.