1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No Spelling on Sunday

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by teachermom, Apr 10, 2007.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many Christians do not simply because they do not give any thought to what they are taught. Quite a number refuse to use their brain and simply believe what someone told them.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I once hosted a radio show "What I Believe" My position is that Christians know what they believe, they just dont know WHY they believe it>

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I wasn't talking about him denigrating, only certain individuals who think that these secular companies should have to bow down to our wishes.

I'm all for him asking.

That's how I got them to change the football schedule. Many people were unhappy, but Sunday was the way it had always been done. Well, the rules permit the home team to determine the schedule (although it can be a good idea to clear it with other teams, especially when they have to travel far; which brings to mind that some teams intentionally schedule poorly in order for them to get an advantage.), so I simply asked, "Since playing on Saturday would get more players and keep current ones happy, why not play on Saturday?" So, we did.

I don't denigrate the other teams for playing on Sunday. In fact, it presents me with an opportunity to witness when I visit. The same with visiting teams when they complain that Saturday is their "family day". "Sunday is ours", and I can tell them why. Not always productive, but it has been a few times.

4. Karen

Karen Active Member

On the other hand, the difference between necessity and option is a long-standing concept of Reformed Christians. (Of which I am not one, particularly.) It would be inaccurate to say that they are all as you described above.
    Contrary to Hope of Glory, I don't think referring to the Sabbath shows this boy is ignorant. Maybe he has read questions 57-62 of the Westminster Shorter Catechism and come to a different conclusion than most of us in this thread. Different doesn't equal ignorant or not using one's brain. :saint:

5. Karen

Karen Active Member

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

If this young person has a conviction that he believes it is dishonoring to God to participate in a Spelling Bee on a Sunday, then that's fine with me.

Having said that, I do not believe that God necessarily considers it a sin to work on Sundays. If it is a sin to work on Sundays, then every paid preacher who preaches on a Sunday is therefore sinning and needs to repent of this sin.

Moreover, there are certain legitimate occpations that may necessitate a Christian having to work on Sundays.

These would include:

1. Public safety personnel such as police, fire, EMS.
    2. Those in the military (Imagine what Iraq would be like if all of the Christian military personnel over there would refuse to work on Sunday.)
    3. Certain public utility personnel such as electric service and telecommunications workers may have to work on Sunday if there were an electrical or telecommunications outage late Saturday night.

We no longer live in a "perfect world" in which all workers can automatically cease working at 11:59:59 p.m. on Saturday nights, and I do not believe that it is necessarily a sin for Christians who are employed in such occupations as I have mentioned above to work past 11:59:59 p.m. on Saturdays.

(NOTE: Just found out that this is Post #666 for me....Hmmm!)

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I don't think he's ignorant for thinking it's a sin to do this on Sunday, although I disagree with him.

I say he's ignorant for calling it the Sabbath. It is not. It is easily provable what the Sabbath is. In many, many different languages, the word for Saturday is the word for "seventh" or something similar.

The Sabbath is the Sabbath is the Sabbath, and Sunday isn't the Sabbath.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thank you for a balanced voice of reason