1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

No universal church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jan 16, 2008.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The fact remains, at the final Supper, whether the Bribe or the Body, no unsaved person will be there. 100% true Christians.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm not clear on this; are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

What I'm trying to say is claiming membership in the UC is quite different from holding membership. One who believes he is saved but is lost may profess but cannot possess.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you make good points and I know that my dispensational view fits together nicely with the concept of the UC, however that alone with all other things considered does not necessarily make it an erroneous view.

In the passage you mentioned:

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.​

Well it is possible that this is referring to the UC "ye" being the collective saints at Corinth as part of a bigger whole because in the next sentence Paul uses the term "the church" and not "the churches".​

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles,

I can see where you would probably see this word "church" in vs 28 as the "institution" of the church.

I grant you that it does fit.

However when I think of my personal concept of the UC, I think (as previously, stated) of all those who have gone on to be with the Lord, in heaven (church of the firstborn) plus all born-again believers from all the local churches (with their mixed multitude) on earth.

Also, I want you to know that I by no means want to diminish the doctrine of the local church and all its scriptural distinctives, ordinances, organization and mission here on planet earth.

BTW Tom, what would you call that body of NT saints in heaven, the bride of Christ?

Just curious.

Thanks
    HankD

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

About I Cor 12:28, remember the context is the local church, not the church in an instituional sense. It is in the local church that God sets apostles, etc. Most of the apostles were with the Jerusalem congregation, and Paul joined the fellowship at Antioch. As far as I can see, the NT knows nothing of Lone Ranger elders, deacons, teachers or missionaries who operated independently of the local congregations.

Oh, about that body of NT saints in heaven, meaning at the Marriage Supper, I think bride is as pretty good description for them. But just calling them saints would be okay with me, as well.

Bro Hank, you seem to have a healthy view of the local church. But a lot of mischief, mostly the ecumenical kind, is perpetrated in the name of the Universal Church.

#104 Tom Butler, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  5. bro. matt

bro. matt New Member

:jesus: It's unfortunate that people confuse the church and the family of God. The family of God is made up of all the saved while the church (institutional sense) refers to those who have joined with a local assembly to carry out the Great Commission.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yes bro Tom, being a former Catholic, I am aware of that mischief.

HankD