1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non-Cal Authors Who Used Calvinism To Propagandize

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure where to place this subject . So mods please move it if necessary .

I bought "The Oxford Essential Guide To Ideas And Issues Of The BIBLE" a few years ago . It has been a treasure trove for me .

There is a section under Literature and the Bible called "Romanticism and the Modern Era" by David Lyle Jeffrey ( p. 299 ). I find some of his information fasinating . His anti-Calvinism is quite evident . But he does offer some keen observation . Following are some snips .

Tennyson's "Rizpah" prefers the Bible to Calvinistic interpretations of it , though Tennyson's characteristic reading of the Bible is governed , in fact , by what he called "Higher Pantheism" ...

Matthew Arnold ... to separate the Bible from its association with Puritan or Calvinistic religion ...

George MacDonald in Lilith ( 1895 ) treats Jewish apocrypha in a New Testament context in such a way as to challenge his Calvinistic colleagues with a hypothesis of universal salvation .

I find it interesting that Jeffrey documents the anti-Calvinistic thrust as the motivational force behind the writings of these and other authors .

I don't believe that there is a counterpart in literature with Calvinists writing stories to oppose the synergism of the times .