1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non-Cals, what do you believe?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Please note I used the term active double predestination.
    God is active in saving the sinner who is walking in one direction by turning him around 180 degrees. It is true that God passes over many but He does not make them sin, He simply allows them to remain in their sin.

We are saved through God's action.
    THose that are lost are lost due to their own sinful action.
    THey are lost because they are condemned already.

Read John 3 on this one.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

So are we only PARTLY HIS workmanship? Is it a synergistic effort that we both must work to achieve? Yes, we will bear fruit if we are saved but WE WILL do it. We WILL do it because God works in us. He chastens us to bring it about.

No true calvinist believes that we are puppets.

But you have a problem amy, there are none that seek God. None.
    No, God does not force us against out will. He changes our will so that we desire Him.

And thank God that He did or we would all still be in unbelief.

Why do you have to hang on to that last little part you play in your salvation?
    Why Can't you leave it all to God as he has stated in His word?
    Why must you leave a slight amount for your own boasting (not saying that you are boasting but there is room for it as long as you claim you had a part)

I am doing my best to speak this is love and please do not read any animosity into it because none is intended.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Of course this is the reason.

Romans 1 tells us that. but we are also told that we must be born again.
    The 80 year old person supressed the knowledge of God in his heart for 80 years and he would have done so until he died if it had not been for the intervention of God who regenerated him.

Irresistible grace does not mean that no one can resist the gospel. It just means that John 6 means what it says. Chirst will lose none that the Father has given Him.
    In your view, there would be no way for Christ to make that claim.

4. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

That's untrue. Your assumption is that God has given Christ unbelievers to become believers. But that misses the point in the verb tense and the overall theme of subserviency of Christ.

Christ is totally subservient to the Father and is doing the Father’s work and proclaiming the Father’s message. Those who believe it (the Father's message) are given to Christ. Christ can't give them to himself because of the nature of the relationship. Also, Christ does not use the past tense concerning the process. He says “all that the Father gives” rather than “has given.” “has given” only appears when Christ is looking back and talking about those who have already believed.

#64 BaptistBob, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  5. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

I don't have to "admit that" at all! You can't really mean what you said as a blanket statement. There are other answers you know. Like, maybe just perhaps the person had never heard the gospel until he/she was 80 years old. That is not "resisting the Spirit". How can they believe if they have not heard?

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Bob, why don't we look at that passage?
    Now you might say "see it says it is the Father's will that those that believe will have everlasting life. True. But that does not answer the question of why some do and some do not.

Lest you say that the Father will draw all equally (how about those that never hear the Gospel?) will CHrist raise the unbelievers in the last day?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I gave my father as an example, who was saved at age 75, 3 weeks before he died. He knew all about Jesus for his entire life. What is your reason for God "waiting" to regenerate him?

It is clear to me scripturally and experientially that he resisted the Holy Spirit for all of those years.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Why do you ask us a question about Why God did something?
    Ask God.
    WE are saying it was God's choice and you demand us to tell you why God waited that long.
    Why do you not just be thankful that Christ did save him?

See we could ask you why you did not believe sooner if you did not believe the first time you heard the Gospel. Because you claim that it was your choice to believe.
    But you can't demand of us and answer for why God has chosen to wait until a person is 75.
    God's ways are not our ways.

9. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

I'm looking at it. The verb tenses are exactly as I described and counter to what you described.

So? Christ explains why eslewere.

You mean like the the OT saints? Seems like you're changing the topic. I was addressing why unbelievers can't be those given to Christ.

10. Lux et veritas

Actually you didn't mention your father as the example in the post of yours I read. You just made a blanket statement and said I would have to admit it. I pointed out that I didn't as there are other options to consider.

And as to God "waiting", all I know is God does everything in His time. A brand plucked from the burning is often a greater testimony to the power of God's sovereign grace than a child saved in his/her early years.

I'm willing to wait to heaven to find out the answers to such questions.

BTW - I am very happy to hear of your father's salvation and rejoice with you that the Lord did indeed conquer him by His grace.

11. Lux et veritas

Evern the most ardent anti-calvinist has to admit to some form of 'election'. They cannot deny that in the matter of evangelism and gospel proclamation, God has 'chosen' that not everyone hears the gospel equally ... and some not at all.

If God wanted to He could have made sure that everyone heard the story of Calvary. (He is God, after all!).

So the difference between the Calvinist and Arminian is not that one believes in election and one does not. They both must confess a doctrine of election, they just draw the line in a different place.:smilewinkgrin:

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you! It was an amazing thing! My father wouldn't even step foot in a church, but God led him to Christ by a nurse who was a member of my church, which God had led me to a few months before, which was pastored by a man who for some reason :) felt led to visit my dad (whom he had never met) about 3 or 4 times a week in the hospital. Yes, I believe God did it all!

Absolutely I believe in election. But we are elected "in Christ" who is God's elect. We become "in Christ" through faith.

As far as those who never hear the gospel, Paul makes it clear God has revealed Himself to all men through the things He has made even His divine nature and Godhead. This is not enough for salvation, but it requires a decision to made by every person to accept God as creator or reject Him. Jesus said:

Mar 4:24 And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
    Mar 4:25 For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.

In other words, if we take heed to "what we hear" or what we learn from God, more revelation of God will be given. But if we ignore it, even what God has given (His revelation of Himself through creation) will be taken away. So those that will never hear the gospel have rejected God the creator and God did not send them any more revelation of Himself. But if they had believe in the light that God has given every man, He would have sent them someone to share the gospel. I have heard missionaries tell stories of this very thing.