1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"non Christian music"?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by BudoWarrior, Sep 18, 2004.

1. BudoWarrior

BudoWarrior New Member

hey all fellow teens,
    i wanted to know what your view is on listening to quote "non christian music"? i dont know if this has been discussed before so i thought id bring it up for disussion! so what are your thoughts???

Peace
    Ethan

2. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

My favorite non-Christian bands
    1.) Smashing Pumpkins - they just dominate, simple as that

2.) The Working Title - kinda whiney, but they are very good, and from my town, and I used to know the drummer.

3.) The Cranberries - she has the most beautiful voice IMO.

3. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

1. Linkin Park

2. 12 Stones

3. Lifehouse

4. Creed

I don't listen to many non christian bands. I decided not to buy Nicklebacks cd's because of language but I enjoy their music. All 4 of the above bands claim to have Christians in them.

1cross+3nails=4given

4. BudoWarrior

BudoWarrior New Member

hmm this interests me, i knew of the last three having christian influence.. but linkin park? who in the band claim's Christ?

Peace
    Ethan

5. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

I used to listen to secular, but then I was convicted by God about it. The lyrics where hurting me spiritually. The bad lyrics always ran through my brain like crazy. It wasn't good.
    It is not a Biblical mandate that you may not listen to secular, but it is wrong for me to listen to it because of my conviction.

Matt

6. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

It's good that you have that control. I love my music.

7. JesusInFirstPlace

JesusInFirstPlace New Member

I love music too, but I won't listen to anything that cusses (or uses God's name in vain) or glorifies things that God would definitely not like. It doesn't take any control, because that kind of music doesn't interest me at all (I'm not even tempted to listen to it!)!

Becca

8. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

I fail in this area. I will listen to it, I do not let it control me though. I usually just put my own words in the place. There is no excuse for me. maybe I should not listen to secular music. this makes me sad.

9. JesusInFirstPlace

The only thing that is hard for me is that my brother has no qualms about listening to secular music. So when he turns on his radio, I am stuck hearing it (not listening to it, but still). So I usually retreat into my room and turn on the Christian radio station!

10. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

Retreat, retreat!! maybe I am not understanding it fully. Does a mere song have that much effect on you spiritually?

I know that when I listen to a good worship song, it definitely boost me spirtitually. so maybe it works the other way too. I just can't see the secular music getting to me like that. I listen to worship music for a reason, and it performs that reason; to improve my relation ship with God. I listen to secular music because it sounds good, and sometimes it has some good ideas in it, that is it. so it does it's purpose too, nothing spiritual.(maybe its just me)

11. JesusInFirstPlace

There are some song that neither benefit, nor harm you spiritually. But a lot of non-Christian music really can harm you.

You could get bad lyrics stuck in your head, and under the constant values (or lack thereof) of non-Christian music, you can actually start to take sin less seriously. It is something to do with the whole desensitizing nature of things-after a while, you just don't care about sin and stuff. That's just my opinion though!

Becca

12. BudoWarrior

BudoWarrior New Member

i llisten to alot more secular music then i do Christian, mainly because most Christian music isn't very high quality. i enjoy both though, and see no problem with listen to them both. but at the same time its my preference, and its not the right, or wrong thing to do.

Peace
    Ethan

13. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

2 members in the "thanks" section of Meteora 'Phoenix' mentions God first.

But the member that I know of that claims to be a christian is Joe 'I would like to thank God for giving me another opportunity to share our music with others.' My friend said he claims to be a Christian. But I have never seen it documented.

14. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Budo,

Do you like Nickleback?

Jodo do you listen to Nickleback?

Just curious if anyone else likes them.

15. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I'm curious Budo why do you think CHristian music is of less quality? I mean in theory because of producers or studios aren't as high tech as secular studios.

16. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

I like nickleback... how about puddle of mud. I love that song "blurry" I just love it.

sorry, I kinda classify Nickleback, Puddle of Mud , and Stained; all in the same boat. maybe its just me.

Becca, you are right. sometimes I do get bad lyrics stuck in my head. but I always have been able to repress them. I don't feel adapted to Sin. I just have to balance it out with positive Christian influence. everyone is different I suppose.

17. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

I think CHR is just as high quality. Try listening to David Crowder Band. They have some awesome stuff. And the music quality sounds excellent. Their Lime Cd is one of my favorites.

Matt

18. BudoWarrior

BudoWarrior New Member

ok, David crowder is pretty good, i like there iluminate albumn, but there lime CD has to be one of my least favoirite albums ever. And comparaing the quality of that live CD to Metallica's live with san fransico orcestra... there is a huge difference in quality! (metallica being the better CD). I guess i also enjoy alot of non christian music more because i think they are alot more real then several Christian bands... but thats just me.

Peace
    Ethan

19. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

Really? You don't like the Lime cd? How could you? Beautiful music. Great sound.
    -Matt shakes his head in pure wonder-

Matt

20. angel food cake

angel food cake New Member

I am also extremely curious at the thought of Christian music having a lesser quality...try checking this thing called Creation Festival...amazing five days of Christian bands and speakers...I'm sure your view might come out differently after that...
    I do not listen to the radio...yes, there are some secular bands whose music does not have a "secular" (as in, the words do not dis-glorify God), but you never know what you will get...I would personally rather just listen to Christian music and disregard most, if not all, music by secular bands...I LOVE Christian music and would not trade it or its messages for the world!