1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Non racial forms of prejudice

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, May 3, 2008.

?
  1. People who smoke

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. People who drink

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. People who are homosexual

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. People who do drugs

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  5. People who are living with someone they aren't married to

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  6. People who prostitute themselves

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  7. People who have been divorced

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  8. People who have committed adultery

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  9. None of the above

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Which are you prone towards?

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I voted "None of the Above." While I don't approve of any of the actions listed, I still believe that one shouldn't be prejudiced against them.

These kinds of people need our prayers and concerns, not our prejudice.

"There, but for the grace of God, go I."

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I picked other, the only people I can't tolerate are those who talk too much.

I have severe ADD so I drift in and out on ramblers never knowing a polite way to escape the madness... :BangHead:

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You know, I think sometimes I am ADD because "talk too muchers" annoy me, too.

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have prejudice towards any of these groups. I don't condone a lot of them, but I will always pray for them and try to help them out of their quagmire if they want.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I am prejudiced against sin and those who prefer sinful lives when they know the scripture teaches differently.

7. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I voted "none of the above" because although I am against all but one of those, I am not PREJUDICED against them. I dislike the word "prejudiced" when referring to being against sin. I'm divorced and understand the reasons for that. My wife was never faithful.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't follow your reasoning regarding prejudiced against sin? I thought Donna had a good point. I likewise hate the sin though I try to look past the sin and love the sinner.

By the way, these are the words of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ... You can take tham as you will.

Mt 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I'm trying real hard to look at individuals instead of "groups". Thinking in collectivist terms makes us all prejudiced against every "group" that is different than our own in one way or another. Leads to division.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Agree with the tenor of the posts so far.

If I did have prejudice in these areas it would be against

Liars
    Gossips
    Backbiters
    Hypocrites
    Arrogant people

Like the rest, I hate there sins, but am not prejudiced based on what people "do"

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had young children, would you allow them to spend the night at the home of a friend if the parents had any of the listed "faults"

If you said no you would not let them - then you are prejudiced against them. Keep in mind, just because you are prejudiced against - that it inself does not mean it is a bad thing.

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Paul exhorts us to be discerning. If a brother is taken in a fault we are to try to admonish and discipline him. If he can not be restored then he is to be turned out. To accomplish any of the above you must be judgmental of sin and prejudiced against sin. This is not an easy thing to do sense we know that we are flawed and prone to sin too. It then becomes a foreboding endeavor of love. Foreboding in that we know of God's dislike of sin and His rod is a grievous thing to bear for any child of disobedience. Endeavor of love knowing that Christ so loved us while we were yet sinners.

However if I were the Manager of a business (and I have been) I would not hold anything against any of these choices in that I would hire them regardless of their life choices, unless they interfered with productivity. If in pursuit of their lifestyle they could no longer do their job then they would be subject to being fired. Which is what the owner of that business would require of his management.

Then again as a Pastor, I am obligated to the Blood bought Body of Christ to be a shepherd. A good shepherd is to look for the deceased and remove them from the flock, if necessary. Knowing that it was a great loss to do so.

#12 Palatka51, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I guess I've been influenced by society's attitude concerning "prejudice" which is applied to being bigoted toward people simply because of who they are--their skin color, nationality, or religion. I've been called "prejudiced" and "bigoted" because I don't like certain types of music, and because I say that homosexuality is a sin.

I am against ALL sin, but being divorced I am not "prejudiced" against divorced people. I understand that sometimes it's a necessary evil. Nor am I prejudiced against any PERSON; I just hate the things they do. If that means I'm "prejudiced" then so be it. If so, then that means that God is prejudiced. I wouldn't be bold enough to call God prejudiced with its negative meaning.

#13 Jon-Marc, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This poll seems to be all about a negative buzzword. The English language has one of-- if not the-- most varied of vocabularies. But one result of that is that we easily get riled or offended by choice of words. If someone complains incessantly and is accused of "griping," he or she may respond, "I'm not 'griping,' I'm just pointing out...." I remember in art class in high school, a friend of mine kept watching as I worked on a painting, and finally I said, "Quit spying on me!" He said, "I'm not 'spying;' I'm just being merely observant." Spy, gripe, and prejudice are all negative buzzwords... and if we have the qualities indicated by them, we just don't want it to be said that way.

Ain't that right?.....er, Isn't that correct?

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent post. A point of disagreement -- as a manager, I would hold prostitution and drug use against an employee. Both are against the law and both affect performance. While I've never employed a prostitute (to my knowledge), I have had an employee who had a drug/alcohol issue. Thankfully, it had a good ending. We gave him time off & he went into an inpatient treatment center and came out sober.

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"People who drink?"

Can I ask? Who is prejudiced against me?

[I really don't drink a lot -- I promise -- basically, just wine occasionally with dinner -- unless it's pizza, then I prefer a beer. In fact, the last time I had wine was at a small group dinner.]

17. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understood the question to be, if I knew someone was ______, would I prejudged their character/personality to be of a certain type?

I said yes to drugs, prostitution and committing adultery. The drugs and prostitution ones are particularly concerning to me since I'm studying to become a doctor and presumably will see a lot of drug addicts and prostitutes who will need to expose that information to me for accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Thanks for posing this question to get me to think and self-reflect on my attitudes towards people who are different from me.

18. Cody2

Cody2 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Homosexuals make me sick, but I still witness to them.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This poll makes no differentiation regarding personal prejudice-- meaning, if someone does the things mentioned, you make certain negative assumptions about them which have not been proven-- and organizational prejudice, meaning to the extent you have the authority you would reject or limit their participation in your organization.

On the personal level, questions we may ask go from the shallows of simple courtesy to the depths of lasting intimacy... would I behave with civility toward such a person? would I engage to do business with such a person? would I take part in service or social club activities with such a person? would I have such a person as a 'running buddy?' would I date such a person? would I marry such a person? And not all the cases listed would see the 'cutoff' at the same level. I would not marry a homosexual if she said she wanted a husband just so she could have kids (I have heard of such things); but whether I would marry a divorcee would depend on the circumstances. In the meantime, I am good friends with many divorcees, but I don't know of any friend who is homosexual-- but friendly acquaintance is probably the most such a person would be because of what I think about that particular sin. Some may call my views of either of these subjects "prejudice," but since they are entirely personal, I am entitled to carry out such views.

Organizational prejudice, of course, can present different legal problems. And where the organizational and the personal begn to come together can be a tedious point; such as, if you have your own business and sometimes have to hire people, there is a number (5?) at which federal civil rights laws come into it. And as I have thought about renting a room in my house, I have considered that if I advertise the rental-- thereby making it a service offered to the general public-- and someone comes wanting to check it out, and if his eyes look glazed and there is beer on his breath, and that compels me to tell him I don't think I would want him; and if he happened to be black or hispanic, what might be the consequences? That's why I have decided that if I do rent that room (still no plans to do so), that I would just try to get the word out among friends and not make a 'public offering' of it.