1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

North Americian Secession Convention

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This is a big nothing...just a few crackpots. It won't get anywhere.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isnt that what King Geoge said?:smilewinkgrin:

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You requested our thoughts, so I will give a few of mine, regarding this.

First, the word is "American" , not "Americian", despite the point that you attempted to sneak in an extra small "i" into the word. :D

Second, my comment above, that some will, no doubt, perceive as 'smart-alecky', is actually a very good overall summary of this so-called 'movement' - a misnomer if I've ever seen one.

This so-called 'movement', at least as of now, is roughly on par with about two dozen fleas, and three ticks riding on the back of a four-ton 'wild' bull elephant, 100 gnats buzzing about him, with my sister-in-law's 2# Jack Russell 'terror', nipping at its heels, and my own 5# cat 'spitting' at the elephant, as it lumbers through the jungle pursuing, after becoming aware of, the nearby 'mating' female, and collectively deciding that "they" are the one's that collectively have the elephant "on the run", and are about to "bring it down to its knees".

In other words, this is an over-hyped idea of self-delusion and grandeur that amounts to "less than nothing" about "less than anything" in the 'Grand scheme of things", to begin with.

"Secessionism", in the Western Hemisphere, has been realisically effective, under exactly one circumstance, namely that of revolution from European Colonial power, and incidentally, this led in every instance, mainly by the descendants from these European countries, to begin with. The three or four instances of "secession" that "worked" (questionable whether 'Hawaii' should be considered as "secession" under the influence of Sanford Dole & Co., or 'revolution') , that might be considered effective, must be tempered with the fact that United States influences were highly significant influences in the cases of California, Panama, and Texas, with Texas being the most significant. The only large-scale attempt at 'secession' in the Western Hemisphere, the War Between the States, resulted in total casualties of well over 1 Million, with 620,000 deaths, compared to, say, the American Revolution, with some 120K casualties, where incidentally, almost three times as many died from disease as combat. So I would say that secession does not show a high rate of success, in the West, historically.

Thirdly these "groups" are not even close to representing any States, Provinces, or Commonwealths, but represent a minority of individuals, at best.

I would also offer that the only realistic chances of secession 'working' in the West currently, is the remote possibility of Quebec (and an even smaller chance with Puerto Rico), and even those are tenuous, at most.

Apart from those two possibilities, this really amounts to "somebody has been 'smokin' some "really good stuff" ' ", IMO.

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Only took a very small percentage of colonists to start the American revolution. 3-5% as I understand it. MLK was only 1 man but look what he accomplished. If the message is right and the time is right anything can happen.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

YOU TUBE is not working for me, this afternoon, for some reason.

I did have a stray cat I adopted, one time, that whipped our dogs and all the other cats, if they happened to get in her way, for pasttime. She weighed about 5#, and whipped a 100# Lab, with ease, several times. I appropriately named her "Sweetie".

Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

What?? No professional courtesy to extend to a fellow hack?? :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I am not a taxi driver, I am a liverly driver! :applause:

Note Salty DOES NOT work for Green Hornet, but the the story does give an accurate difference beween Cabbies and liverly drivers.

Salty

11. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Use Firefox. Automatic spellcheck's built in.