1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

North Dakota not technically a state?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 14, 2011.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

About 20-25 years ago I frustrated students by jokingly teaching that North Dakota was not a state. Some even laughed at me.

Who's laughing now?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Just in case you don't trust a foreign news source

Time's take

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It always comes down to the little things - like someone checking the state constitution against federal requirements ;)

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My joy comes in being proved right a LONG time after my students laughed at me :). That'll teach 'em to doubt Mr P!

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm sure I rember an American member of the BB correcting me by telling me that four of what are casually referred to as "States" are not - they are "Commonwealths". (I don't remember the context, though).

So now it seems there are five States that are not really states at all. :confused:

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No David that would be incorrect.

There is no difference between a commonwealth and a state in the U.S. To Locke, Hobbes, and other 17th-century writers the term "commonwealth" meant an organized political community -- what we today call a "state." Officially Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia, and Massachusetts are all commonwealths. When Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia, and Massachusetts became part of the United States, they merely took the old form of state in their title.
    Today, commonwealth also means a political unit having local autonomy but voluntarily united with the U.S. These are Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands.

As for North Dakota what is being proposed about the State is merely a clerical inconstancy. That does not mean it should not be corrected, but neither does it mean it is not a state. it would be like two people who were married for 50 years and found out that there marriage licenses were not properly signed. They are still married, but the paper work just needs to be corrected to correspond to what 50 years has proven. I have to agree with Cheryl Hanna on this and not only that but North Dakota has had all the privileges of a state for 122 years and that alone makes it a state even if some document is missing some sort of phrase.

#6 freeatlast, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks, Freeatlast. I should explain that I was not saying that it was correct, just that at least one American - the one who first told me about it some years ago on the BB - seemed to believe it was, and because he was writing about his own country, I assumed he was correct. Thanks for putting me right.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No problem. I live in Texas and there are some here who refuse to accept that Texas is a state. Really! It has to do with how Texas became a state. They refuse to buy drivers licenses or register their vehicles and many other things. Usually they live apart from the rest of society and are left alone as long as they do not wonder into the populated areas.
    There is one whole family who many years ago committed some crime and now live as a sort of commune family and the authorities will not go in after them even though they know where they are. There was a big right up with photos about this a few months ago and the sheriff of that county felt if they stay on their land and do not come out he would leave them alone as the gun battle would be to costly as they all carry guns and have vowed not to be taken alive.
    Here is the story on that family if you are interested;
    http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/20110523/NEWS0107/105230388/

#8 freeatlast, Jul 15, 2011
  9. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

There is no legal distinction between the four states which use the term "commonwealth" in their name and the other states.

10. mandym

mandym New Member

Silly people doing silly things over a non issue

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Exactly - but it sure has been fun seeing my old students FB and tell me I was right after all these years :)

Ain't life fun?

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is the thing. You were not correct. If you were then everything that has ever happened under a guise of statehood in conjunction with the federal Government would have to be repealed and that would include the Federal Government giving back every tax dollar they ever collected and n one in that state having any SS. They have been a state for these 122 years. The error in question does not negate that fact. No court of law would even suggest such.

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Pretty awesome C4K! Sounds like you may now require them to all bow and kiss your ring. LOL
    It's fun when life throws us these interesting tidbits.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

One of them FBed me and called me King History - I love it :)

I am a little surprised that folks are taking this thread so seriously - it is a bit of fun. My students and I are having a great time with this :). These folks are in their 30s and 40s now and still remember the fun (and learning) we had with this all those years ago.

I am not going to let a bunch of sourpusses spoil our fun :)

#14 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 15, 2011
  15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

It was one of my 'troublesome' students who pointed it out :)

16. billwald

billwald New Member

It is upholding the Constitution that got the US into this mess it is in. <G>

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's have a little more fun...

So are there 53 states or 52 states?

The President added a few more since he entered office but he won't tell us what he named them or where they are.

I know Hawaii is not a state its an island.

HankD