1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not under Law but under Grace

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Can anyone explain why, when the Bible talks specifically about not being under law but under grace, that we are being told not to allow sin (transgression of the law) to be master over us?

"Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive form the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace."
    Rom 6:11-14

1Jn:3:4: Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Claudia

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Not under Law" does not mean "free to rebel against God's Law" (which in fact would be "Free to rebel against God's Word").

It means "No longer condemned by the Law" as in "no longer under the sentence of the second death".

Many have turned this into "no longer need to pay attention to what God said in the parts of the Bible I don't like".

But as you notice - a quick survey of the "Commandments of God" in the NEW TESTAMENT shows the saints HONORINg and KEEPING them.

In Christ,

Bob

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Just one thing I may differ with when they spoke of keeping the Law it was always the Ten Commandments seems to me. There are some laws under the old covenant that just do not fit in this Grace such as having concubines and different material in your clothes. I believe strongly in keeping of the Commandments (10) and there are some other things mentioned about worshipping God that is still binding but not the fleshly circumcism, washing of the pots and pans, square beard etc............ Claudia would look funny in a square beard. :)

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I believe it to be speaking of the ceremonial law and the sacrificial system. We are no longer under that system, becuase The Sacrifice has been given.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Me too, J. Jump. See we do agree on some things.

6. mman

mman New Member

Law vs. Grace

I think in Jn 1:17, we see the two contrasted. What is really being contrasted is the Old law with the New law. The first covenant was given through Moses while the second was issued from Jesus and ratified by His death (Matt 26:28). We are no longer under the old law or the covenant Jehovah made with the children of Israel when He brought them out of Egyptian bondage. The Hebrew writer refers to these laws as the “first” and the “second” or the “old’ and the “new” (Heb 8:7, 13).

So, in Jn 1:17, the two covenants are designated respectively as “law” and “grace.”, which are the prevailing themes for each covenant.
    It is a tragic misunderstanding to wave the banner of “grace” and contend that we are free from all law, with full latitude to create one’s own religious path. If grace were freedom from all law, then you could not have sin, because sin is a transgression of the law (I Jn 3:4). Paul also stated that where there is no law, there is no sin (Rom 4:15). However, Christians sin (I Jn 1:7 - 2:2), therefore, Christians are under a law, just not the Old law.

Another tragic misunderstanding is the idea that grace somehow precludes obedience. God’s grace has appeared to all men (Titus 2:11), yet most men are lost (Matt 7). Claiming Jesus as your Lord is not enough, you must DO the will of the Father (Matt 7:21). Jesus is the source of eternal salvation for all who obey Him (Heb 5:9). Obedience earns nothing. We are saved by grace, but not grace alone. If grace alone were sufficient, then all men everywhere would be saved (Titus 2:11). What good is it to call Jesus “Lord” and not do the things that He says (Lk 6:46)? Time and time again, we see that we will be judged according to our works/deeds.

An understanding of God’s grace will not diminish works, it will increase our works. We understand what God has done for us, even though we don’t deserve it. We are grateful and we seek out how to please Him. We are not interested in pleasing ourselves, but in pleasing Him. We worship Him according to His word, not according to our likes. We worship in truth and not according to our own will. And how do we know what God wants us to do? He has revealed it in His word. When we read and accept that word, we can walk by faith (Rom 10:17). We know that no matter what we do, it pales in comparison with what He has done. We don’t earn anything, therefore we cannot boast. However to disregard obedience to God’s divine new law under the pretense of grace puts one in a place of receiving not salvation, but vengeance (II Thess 1:8).

7. billwald

billwald New Member

"Law without punishment is merely advice."