1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not under Law --Under Grace!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Who's doing the twisting?
    the true child of God cannot sin=sinless
    he never said he didn't sin=does sin
    If he does sin, that means he's not a true child of God??
    I'm so confused![​IMG]

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I think you may be not taking into account that we have an Advocate.

1Jn:2:1: My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous

Like as in you realize that God tells you "sin not" and you in your heart and mind determine to do His will... (not sinning wilfully) and you endeavor to obey His Word, yet at times you will fall and fail so you confess your sins and you have an Advocate.. Jesus Christ.

You shouldnt claim to be "sinless". But a child of God will not wilfully sin.

Its really simple. Its too bad people keep trying to make God out to be this legalistic Tyrant when He isnt...

then they turn around and make like they can do whatever they want since they are "eternally saved" no matter what they do... "because you cant obey God anyway"

#62 Claudia_T, Jan 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  3. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

Claudia,

When you point out the truth that is His Word, it only confuses them more.

And why is it wrong for sfiC to question others salvation, but Shiloh can get by with it? (I know you have not questioned sfiC's salvation. But there seems to be a double standard by others, haven't ya noticed?)

#63 Diggin in da Word, Jan 12, 2007
  4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

same

Hi Claudia,

When have you ever committed a sin that wasnt willfull? Every time I've blown it it was completly willfull. Do you go into a trance for a few moments, then come to your senses again and discover that...HORRORS!...you lost your temper and were mean to that one you were talking to? (just plugging in a random sin there. Could be anything)

God bless,

Mike

#64 D28guy, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Diggin in da Word

Just a thought...

The prodigal in Luke must have not been himself when he sinned against his father. He rebelled (sinned) agaiinst the father and left home. He later came to his senses ans said 'I will return to my fahter's house'.

6. Diggin in da Word

And there is another false accusation. I am not a SDA. Amazing how you can judge yet you tell others they cannot. Isn't that hypocritical?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No you shouldn't claim to be sinless, because you aren't, and as it has been pointed out, all sin is wilfull sin. Nevertheless the Scripture plainly says:

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

and again:
    1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

If you say that you do not sin (wilfully or not) then you make Jesus Christ a liar. And that is one of the most serious sins one can commit. Be careful with your words.

8. Diggin in da Word

All sin is willfull? Then Paul lied when he said 'The evil that I would not, that I do.'

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Do you mean that all sin is accidental? If so, there's no need to repent. The reason we're held responsible for our sins is because sin is intentional.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This can be quite a controversial topic. I can argue it from both sides. Perhaps it should have a thread of its own. But for now, I will hold to the side of which I stated. We are all tempted such as Christ was and such as Paul was saying he was. The difference here was that Christ never gave into temptation, but Paul did because he was man and had a sinful nature. His nature did not force him to give into sin, but he chose to sin, wilfully. It wasn't a lie. No man is perfect, and because of their sinful nature cannot be. No man can keep the law perfectly, not Paul, not anyone. We choose, for whatever reason, to break it. We don't have to but we do. It is our choice; it was Paul.
    Good ole' 'St. Peter' (pardon the Catholicism), Paul "withstood to the face", because of his sin, his hypocrisy--his attitude toward the Gentiles. He chose to sin. There is a battle that rages on within each one of us. That is what Paul was describing. He sums it up and the end of chapter 7.

"O wretched man that I am; who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"
    And then the answer comes:
    "I thank God, through Jesus Christ my Lord."
    "So then with the mind I will serve the law of God,
    But with the flesh I will serve the law of death."

Who will I serve? What will I give into--the mind or the flesh? To be frank I, like Paul, cannot yield my self to the mind of Christ 100% of the time. I am not perfect. I give into sin; but when I do, I do it wilfully. There is a reason why more than 50% of the population is overweight. It is wilful sin.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

And then we have this Scripture:

1 John. 5:
    17: All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
    18: We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
    19: And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
    20: And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
    21: Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

1Jo 3:9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

So my friends, you must rightly divide the word of God and not sin unto death.

#71 Brother Bob, Jan 12, 2007
  12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Then there are these also:

1Jn:3:
    8: He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
    9: Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    10: In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Like I have said time and time again, I think that people try to hard to make God a legalist and they wind everything up to the highest degree, when God just wants our hearts.

He isnt sitting there just waiting for us to legally make some little mistake technically. He wants us to endeavor to please Him out of love for Him.

If you try to take everything to the hilt then Bible verses like this just have to be tossed out because after all, who can keep the commandments anyway? and so we are all liars then? and not a one of us knows God?

1Jn:2:
    3: And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    4: He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

#72 Claudia_T, Jan 12, 2007
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And yet another "red herring".
    How do you define "a sin unto death?" And how do you know that your definition is the right definition. I am sure that it differs from mine.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

DHK;
    How could you call the scripture a red herring?
    I didn't put that in there, God did. Instead of calling it a red herring, why not give an answer for it?

It really amazes me that when a scripture does not fit into someones theology, they call it a red herring. jeepers.

I will give you another one you can call a red herring if you like;

1 John, chapter 2

1: My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
    2: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
    3: And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    4: He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    5: But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

#74 Brother Bob, Jan 12, 2007
  15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Everything we do is faulty, even down to our belief... we cannot truly 100% "believe" in Jesus Christ...

so are we going to be lost because we dont believe perfectly?

Riddle me this, Batman?

Mk:9:24: And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"Thou shalt not surely die" is also Scripture, as is
    "The fool hath said in his heart "There is no God."

Neither one of which has to do with the topic of this thread:
    "Not under law...Under grace"

All Scripture is inspired and all Scripture is profitable, but not all Scripture pertains to this thread.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Some said on here all sins are willful. Do we willful cause anger to come in our minds or bad thoughts. I don't think so but we do have and advocate with God.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My post has everything to do with this thread but you calling it a red herring does not for sure.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Whose words are you putting in whose mouth this time. I looked through the thread and didn't see any such quote. You are making things up. If you are going to make accusations then at least make an accurate quote and say who it is from. And who is the Batman that you are quoting from? Give a direct quote, before you expect your quote to be answered. No one wants to be slandered or falsely accused.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Having an advocate with God is irrelevant. All sin can be confessed to God and forgiven. He has promised to forgive all of our sins. So that is out of the question. It is a moot point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.