1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Now what about HUNTING?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Oct 1, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Didn't God give us the right to kill thou.

2. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

When you have A.I.D.S. (Acquired Income Deficientcy Syndrome) you have to do what you have to do to survive. Hunting to keep the family going is what God intended IMHO. Hunting for the sake of hunting is wrong unless it benifits the less fortunate.

3. Mercury

Mercury New Member

We don't know that. Abel raised flocks of sheep, and he only sacrificed the fat portions (Genesis 4:2-4). This implies that the rest of the animal was eaten, along with other animals from his flocks. Noah knew which animals were clean and unclean before the flood (Genesis 7:2,8). Unless "clean" and "unclean" in this context are unrelated to the dietary laws that God would give to Moses, this meant that clean animals could be eaten. After the flood, it appears the clean/unclean restrictions were lifted, since Noah and his family were allowed to eat anything that lives, just as they were permitted to eat of any plant (Genesis 9:3).

Certainly there's some speculation in this, but it is equally speculation to state that no animals could be eaten before the flood. Genesis does not reveal that much detail about early dietary habits.

If I thought that eating meat was a result of the Fall, I would certainly be a vegetarian too. As you mentioned, people can live without eating meat, so I wouldn't want to go out of my way to spread the curse. But, because I don't think eating meat is tied to sin or the curse, I can enjoy a meat dish with a clear conscience.

4. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

I have this urge to kill the deer that ate my pole beans and my collards. Does that make me a bad person?

A.F.

5. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

6. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I don't see a problem with hunting.

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't have a problem with hunting for food.
    I believe hunting for sport could be ok if the proper respect for God's creation and our roles as stewards of that creation is present, especially with respect to understanding how hunting affects animal populations and food webs.

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I have no problem with hunting. Every meat is good to eat and put here for us. BTW---I leave in 9 days for my elk hunt in beautiful northern Arizona.....look out Mrs. Elk.....Hello Elk steak, stew, roast, chili, and sausage. Yum Yum.

Bro Tony

9. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

I love animals..........They're delicious!

In two weeks I will be sitting in a ground blind in southwest Kentucky looking for a couple of shooter whitetails.

Three weeks after that I will be in some of the most beautiful country on the planet...pursuing the North American Wapati.

It is a wonderful time that I get to spend with my Dad each year. Been doing it since I was 5 years old. My boy is now 2 1/2...just a couple more years...I can't wait to carry on the tradition.

Happy Hunting!

Max

10. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Those who find happiness in killing animals should perhaps consider whether or not they are themselves mere brute beasts fit for the table of others. I earnestly pray that my grandson will never find a rifle in his hands and find pleasure in using it to take the life of another, regardless of the species.

I do occasionally eat meat in some situations, but I am ALWAYS mindful of the animal who died that I might eat.

[​IMG]

11. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Broad brush stroke there Craig. Not the least to say somewhat hypocritical. You are mindful of the animal---do you pray for them? Indiscriminate killing of anything is horrible, but there is nothing wrong or anti-biblical in hunting. The meat is better for us than anything one would buy in a store or in a restaurant.

Bro Tony

12. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

13. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

AMEN and AMEN!

14. Craigbythesea

Yes, of course!

[​IMG]

15. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Out here in W Texas, you can donate your deer meat to the poor. A regional deer processor will take the carcass and butcher it properly then distribute it through local agencies.

It seems to me like a win-win situation. It controls overpopulation (which can be devastating to deer and cause much more suffering than hunting.) It also gives those who just want the head for their wall a way to keep from wasting the meat.

Critters have to be killed. Hunt all you want, but eat what you kill. And don't take such great joy in the death of God's beautiful creatures.

I think it is a fine line.

Lacy

16. Craigbythesea

Bro Tony wrote,

No one is arguing that hunting is wrong.

Killing for pleasure is the mindset of exceptionally savage and cruel animals. It is NOT the mindset of civilized human beings.

[​IMG]

17. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Yes there are those arguing that hunting is wrong. On the second point you and I agree. I asked you if you pray for the animal before you eat it---you said "of course". I pray thanking God for the animal before me, and for His provision, I don't pray for the animal.

Bro Tony

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We don't know that. Abel raised flocks of sheep, and he only sacrificed the fat portions (Genesis 4:2-4). This implies that the rest of the animal was eaten, along with other animals from his flocks. Noah knew which animals were clean and unclean before the flood (Genesis 7:2,8). Unless "clean" and "unclean" in this context are unrelated to the dietary laws that God would give to Moses, this meant that clean animals could be eaten. <snipped>
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well, I had always heard that (but that is not why I became a vegetarian). I'll have to look at the scriptures on this again.

If I thought that eating meat was a result of the Fall, I would certainly be a vegetarian too. As you mentioned, people can live without eating meat, so I wouldn't want to go out of my way to spread the curse. &lt;snipped&gt; </font>[/QUOTE]Well, I might amend my statement to: Meat was not eaten until after the Fall. I do not think meat was eaten before Adam and Eve sinned.

19. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Now Marcia, you know that there are those on this board who dont believe anything in the first 11 chapters of Genesis can be taken literally. ;)

Bro Tony

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Now Marcia, you know that there are those on this board who dont believe anything in the first 11 chapters of Genesis can be taken literally. ;)

Bro Tony
    </font>[/QUOTE]And boy, do I know that well! I think I'll put the sad face down for that. :(