1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NRA Recommendation

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 21, 2012.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

But you've got to hand it to us, ole Mate----every now and then the citizens will swim close enough to the edge for the world to see-----there IS a fish in that tank!!!!:saint::saint::type:

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Written by a Canadian (not a US gun supporter). It is a 21 page report filled with graphs, charts, footnotes, & stats to support the opinion given.
    -- Emphasis added --
    http://www.saf.org/journal/16/TheFailedExperiment.pdf

Look at the color of the water in your own glass fishbowl before casting stones at ours.​

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The premise of this statement is false, being that guns are the problem. And that a lack of them will cure the problem and no more killing will take place. What you are being is silly.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Obama was elected . . . TWICE.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Only means there's a Parana in the bowl with us goldfish!!

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said. :thumbs:

7. Streetsweeper

Streetsweeper New Member

No.
    The premise of the statement is that firearms leverage the damage potential of the problem.

firearms do nothing to fix the problem. They just make it worse.

#27 Streetsweeper, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using the term "weapons" discredits you. How many "weapons" are we going to outlaw? What weapon was used in the Oklahoma City Bombing?

9. Streetsweeper

Streetsweeper New Member

Of course you will have noted I edited my post to change the word 'weapon' to 'firearm', about the same time as you responded. I felt I had been overemphasising the term, although it is strictly correct.

Tell me what weapons other than firearms you would like available for random killings?

In what way does my use of the term 'weapon' discredit me?

I certainly hope to emphasise that firearms are not toys. They are in fact designed as weapons, and their prevalence in the community facilitates their use in taking the lives of people.

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such thing as "unarmed security." The proper term is "the guy who runs away first when the guy with the gun arrives."

And in most states armed security officers must not only undergo training (8 hours classroom and 6 hours range time on top of security training usually equaling about 40 hours - at least in California) but also pass an extensive FBI background check. :)

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Isn't any object used to inflict injury and/or death on another person a "weapon"? Regardless of whether it's used offensively or defensively.

Since the atom was first split to produce a weapon, would you also propose that all uses of nuclear energy be banned, as well? Forbid its use in hospitals, for example, as it can kill as well as heal? Killing people isn't the only use for firearms.

How about any compound that can bring about death if injested, whether intended, accidental, or as an act of murder?

What steps has Australia taken to remove knives from the hands of her citizens? From what I gather, knives are the weapon of choice there.

Further, how do you explain away the death rate statistics of the Swiss where almost every man is legally required to own a firearm?