1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NT Justification for Invitations

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Aug 18, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, tinytim. :thumbs:

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The primary concern I have with the modern-day invitation is not so much the concept. It is the abuse and misuse of what could be a legitimate call to repentance and faith in Christ, and a public confession. (Although, I submit that the public confession is one's baptism.)

It is very easy for a preacher to manipulate people into making some kind of response. And some preachers are so desperate, the will fish for any kind of response, and will use any kind of emotion tricks they can think of. More than once I have seen a evangelist, failing to get a rise from the congregation, resorted to an appeal for us to go to someone in the audience, give them a hug and tell them how much we appreciated and loved them. The next best ploy is a call for rededications--works almost every time.

It is that kind of desperation for any kind of response--a "decision"--that produces the misuse I'm talking about.

At worst such abuse is a denial of the work of the Holy Spirit, and His ability to stir the heart of a lost person without need of the right "atmosphere."

I'm sure most of the posters here on the BB would deny any such mindset, and I'm sure that's true. But I've been around long enough to know that such mindsets do exist and are rampant in today's Baptist culture.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Now you've hit on one of my pet peeves. I think someone else mentioned this in passing in either this thread or another -- it's the background music that people play during prayers, passing out of the bread/grape juice, collections, etc., and - of course - invitations. This is part of the "atmosphere" that I assume is supposed to stir up a sense of reverence during these duties.

I won't argue with anyone who likes the ambience music. Each to his own. But it drives me crazy. It always feels so contrived to me.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such abuses do occur, of course. But as you know, the abuse does not disprove the principle. And again, the OP was about whether or not the invitation per se was Biblical, not specifically about the abuses.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I share your pet peeve when it comes to music during the prayer. However, the music of a proper invitation will serve a spiritual purpose if prayerfully chosen. My grandmother was saved due to the direct influence of the song chosen for that particular invitation. I believe it was "Just As I Am," and this would have been around 1908.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an example of a famous Baptist preacher of the past, B. H. Carroll, and how music helped him come to Christ.

"The meeting closed without any change upon my part. The last sermon had been preached, the benediction pronounced and the congregation was dispersing. A few ladies only remained, seated near the pulpit and engaged in singing. Feeling that the experiment was ended and the solution not found, I remained to hear them sing. As their last song, they sang:

'O land of rest for thee I sigh;
    When will the moment come
    When I shall lay my armor by,
    And dwell in peace at home?'

The singing made a wonderful impression upon me. Its tones were as soft as the rustling of angels' wings. Suddenly there flashed upon my mind, like a light from heaven, this Scripture: 'Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.' I did not see Jesus with my eyes, but I seemed to see Him standing before me, looking reproachfully and tenderly and pleadingly, seeming to rebuke me for having gone to all other sources for rest but the right one, and now inviting me to come to Him. In a moment I went, once and forever, casting myself unreservedly and for all time at Christ's feet, and in a moment the ret came, indescribable and unspeakable, and it has remained from that day until now."

(Quoted in Sixty-Five Evangelistic Invitations, by Faris D. Whitesell, pp. 84-85.)

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Long ago I was visited by a pastor prior to my entering the hospital. He wanted me to allow him to place my name on the church roll and become a member though not present. When I objected to this he asked: "Wouldnt you feel a lot safer going through the valley of the shadow of death if your name was on our church roll?" I answered 'NO, I dont think it would make a bit of difference and when I join I want to be present to do so!"
    First, my name of a roll here below doesnt concern me at all as far as my eternal status does. My name being the the Lamb's Book of Life is of great concern to me and I know that it is there!
    Second, I thought it to be both rude and greatly lacking in sensitivity to 'threaten' me into joining his church. This was a fairly large SBC church.

Regeneration takes place in ones heart and causes a whole new life to begin, with the changes evident to the person involved and to others that this person is now under new ownership and their life gives the evidence!