1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured NT Wright false teacher?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He believes that when people are baptized and celebrate the Eucharist (among other things) that they are in fact participating in the Kingdom (experiencing the Kingdom within a covenant relationship) in the present instead of just participating in a symbolic ritual in anticipation of a future Kingdom. Those wacky Anglicans and their Eucharist. :Biggrin

http://www.reformedworship.org/article/march-2009/nt-wright-word-and-sacraments-eucharist

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow!

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah! Wow! If he is talking about the final above of glorified saints, then ok, but if he is talking about the present state of the dead then he is wrong! Where did Paul go then when he said he was caught up to the "third" heaven. Where is Christ right now? Where are the saints that Christ will BRING WITH HIM FROM HEAVEN then? Where are those "spirits" in Hebrews 12:23???

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You believe great great grandma is walking the streets of gold in her final, etneral home right now? If so, then do you have a passage to support that and how do you deal with passages that speak of a new creation, resurrected saints, a new body, etc. Are they just symbolic for what already exist in the sky? If not, then yea...wow. there will be a new, literal Creation and we will exist with new, glorified bodies.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Paul speaks of the New Jerusalem which is above right now. In Revelation 21:1-2 it COMES DOWN to earth from somewhere???

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wright has clarified very strongly that he is speaking of that final home, so I take it you two are wondering about me. I agree with both Wright and DA Carson here. Heaven is a new creation.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Where then is Christ right now seated? The tabernacle was a pattern of heavenly things and it seems Revelation 4-5 have a throne room somewhere right now? From where do Christ bring the saints with him, where does he come from? If heaven is a new creation yet to come (Rev. 21) then where was that throne Isaiah saw (Isa. 6)??

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe DA Carson hit it right (in his gospel series). What is spoken of is God's presence with man in a new creation where we will have physical, resurrected bodies. I do not believe my father is already glorified in a resurrected body waiting for the city to be lowered to earth.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can there be anything "new" in timeless eternity?

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think anyone is claiming the resurrection has already occurred or that the saints in Glory already have their resurrection bodies.

It seems to me the resurrection bodies will be here, on Earth, in time, populating the earthly millennial Kingdom.

In fact I mentioned that way back in the thread that the saints in Heaven will either be disembodied, or have some sort of intermediate body, between their fallen sinful bodies and their resurrected glorified bodies.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. I wouldn't have used those words (I borrowed them from the Apostle John). :)

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, except that I do believe that where we go when we die is an "intermediate" heaven, a place where we await "that day", and our final home is a reconciled and perfect and physical Heaven which is the New Earth.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. We all believe that. So what is the debate about? It seems to me the only question is, "Does the Heavenly City already exist?" (Hint: It isn't called "Heavenly" for nothing.)
    :)

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, actually, you didn't. John is talking about a "new heaven" and a "new earth." The last part should give you a hint where those new things are located. (Hint: earth exists in time.)

:)

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Who said anything about the Father being physical? Where is the resurrected physical body of Christ? What Jerusalem did Paul say there presently exists above? Where are the departed saints right now which Christ will bring with him and where is he coming from in his physical body?

Sounds like to me that Carson, Wright and you are simply spiritualizing away everything that won't fit a system?

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying God, the Father, will have a physical body??

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

No! I am saying Christ is in a physical body existing somewhere? I am saying Paul said there is now presently a new Jerusalem existing above somewhere!

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you two are talking past each other. Jon did not say his Heavenly Father, but was referring to his earthly father who, I assume, has passed away. He was saying he doesn't believe his earthly father already has his glorified body (which none of the rest of us believe either, or have even mentioned, so I am not sure why he brought it up).

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I brought it up because it is essential to my view of Heaven. I believe that Heaven (as our final "abode") includes Creation itself re-created and reconciled to God. As Carson put it, what God did in raising His Son will be done to Creation, it will be resurrected from it's current state. Heaven is this new creation of which we, in Christ, will take part.

And yes, I didn't catch that he had misunderstood that I meant my earthly father. My bad for not being clear. I don't think that Father God will have a physical body.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not studied the matter to that extent. When I watched the videos by D.A. Carson, I noticed a few things he said that I had not considered. He relates the New Jerusalem as the presence of God and views Christ as the lion, slain lamb, and city. So in his view, Heaven (not our "in between time" is the presence of God coming to dwell with His children in this new creation. He also considered "time, times and half a time" to be akin to "four score and seven years ago". He said it was a common expression to which the Jews would identify (pointing to the Maccabeans and speaking to this current time...these "last days"). I haven't considered that very much either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.