1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Numbers Don't Lie: Why Our Nation Is In Serious Trouble

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yep, that's pretty much how I understood the problems of his presidency and how I was taught it in my american history class during my undergrad years. Particularily since he didn't want to run to begin with.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

I assume then that you don't think it's important for a presidential team to have private sector experience?

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is important to get the best person for the job regardless of whether they are from private industry or from the public sector. Qualifications and ability is what is important. If the best person has only a third grade education, but is the best at the job ... give it to him./her

4. targus

targus New Member

Do you believe that is what we got with Obama?

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally off topic question. Stay with the subject.

Both the best and the worst presidents have used people from the private sector as shown in the OP.

6. targus

targus New Member

If it is important to get the best person for the job in the cabinet doesn't it also apply to the office of the President that they serve?

Or is that even you can't bring yourself to say that Obama is the best person for the job that he holds?

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was the better of the choices we had. Was he the best possible. I doubt he was. But then I do not know who wuld be the best. Now that he is president I hope he selected his advisers well. Did he do this? Ask me again in three years. We will have a much better idea then.

Now stay with the topic please.

8. targus

targus New Member

Do you think that he was even the best Democrat candidate in the primaries?

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Much of this information originally came from an article titled "Obama's Business Blind Spot" by Michael Cembalest published by Forbes.com on 11/24/2009.

#29 Dragoon68, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Aren't you taking some data assembled from published facts and putting it aside in favor of some subjective opinons about which Presidents were "good" or "bad"?

It seems that the message, instead, is that Obama's administartion has a very low percentage of cabinet members with prior business experience. That means they don't really understand what generates profit or loss, employment or un-employment, or growth or decline in the private sector. That means they probably think they understand the government sector. Perhaps this is the reason for the proposed government solutions to all our problems. Unfortunately, the private sector is the only one that provides any real goods and services for the consumer. Therefore, the government sector is dependant upon the private sector for its source of income.

#30 Dragoon68, Mar 11, 2010
  11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you read the link I posted on the first page:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ays-less-10-percent-obama-cabinet-members-ha/

The author of this study admits that he was subjective and did not stick to the facts. In fact, he says he regrets publishing the data.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your list of the ten worst Presidents seemed flawed to me. For example, William Harrison died shortly after taking office, 40 some odd days I believe, from pneumonia caught while giving his inaugural speech in a cold rain. How could you possibly judge a Presidency on that length of time? Buchanan was given a bad rap for the circumstances. The country was on the brink of civil war. The Fort Sumter incident started in his term, and yes, he was indecisive, but anything he did would have resulted in disaster. On the other hand, why aren't Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson, and Jimmy Carter on the bottom ten? Andrew Johnson was not that bad of a President. He wanted to carry out Lincoln's policy of treating the South kindly. It was nothing but politics between him and the Radical Republicans in Congress.

#32 saturneptune, Mar 11, 2010
  13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's NO Doubt, You are Right...

It would appear that the author is sorry for this article getting into the hands of those on the inter-net. He seems genuinely sorry for him making a judgment call, too!

But, I'm not sure that he hadn't subconsciously hoped that these numbers would be circulated in cyber-space to shine on Obama the true light of "inexperience.":wavey:

This is a highly intelligent man. A man who knew the risks of writing something like this in a place where its context could be swept up and get into the hands and heads of people all around the nation, and the world.

I don't believe this was an accidental mailing. I do believe that he probably had a chest crushing amount of pressure from those in the WH who he so correctly portrayed in his critical findings.

The truth is, Obama has picked some outwardly impressive people to surround him, while these same people lack the kind of time and experience to season their college credentials.

Like Obama, you can have a bunch of Ph d's, Th d's, Md's, etc., following your name, but, if you don't have the actual experience putting that book knowledge to work and climbing the ladder of success, credentials don't amount to a "hill-of-beans!"

Sorry Matt, but, your supportive documentation doesn't quite cover the "whole" story.

I'll stand behind these numbers, as they look pretty damaging to Obama's administration. His decisions and work thus far, speak for themselves, and show just how inexperienced everyone in the WH truly is.

This doesn't mean that these folks won't one day be a very good administrative team. I'm just saying that they ALL needed a little more "seasoning."

Pastor Paul :type:

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Agreed. His list is flawed.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Like that makes a difference in a discussion here.

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Not a whit. The Obama haters will defend Beck regardless of the facts. Now if such a mistake was shown to have been made by a liberal immediately the haters would be screaming LIAR.

Maybe Beck should start checking his fact checkers ... oh, that's right, he is an entertainer and as Mark Twain said, "Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story, unless you can't think of anything better."

:laugh:

#37 Crabtownboy, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I predict a 'shoot the messenger' response now

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it doesn't.

It questions the criteria but proves nothing.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

from the refutation:

So apparently, it's not entirely true.

I retract my claim, insofar as the statistics were wrong.

However...keep in mind that in one of Obama's writings, he referred to his private-sector experience as "working behind enemy lines." So philosophically, there is no change.