1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NY Governor

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by EdSutton, Mar 10, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Due to the Constitutional provision that the President and Vice-President must effectively be residents of two different states, one person who could not be the VP nominee, should Sen. Hillarly Clinton wind up as the one receiving the Presidential nomination of the Democrats is the Governor of NY, Eliot Spitzer.

Now, just a wild hunch of mine, but I'm thinking the NY Governor is also unlikely to get much consideraton as the VP nominee from Sen. Barack Obama, should Sen. Obama be the one to receive the party nomination for president.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23561606

Ed

#1 EdSutton, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a common misconception many make. What the Constitution says :type: (Article II Section 1) is that the Electors many only vote for one person from the state (or commonwealth) as themselves. So if there was a Clinton - Spitizer ticket, Electors in Texas and 48 other states could vote for both candidates, but NY electors could only vote for one of them.

Salty

Of course there is now another problem with Spitizer - he has been under a federal investigation for involvement with a prostitution ring. :tonofbricks:

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You responded before I finished editing. That is why I added the word "effectively" to this. No Presidential candidate, at least of the major parties, to my knowledge, has ever had a VP candidate from the same state as the Presidential nominee, him or herself. Not too many would want to take any chance of having a VP from the opposition party, and this especially if the Senate is closely divided, by philosophy and/or party. Had VP Cheney, not moved back "home" to WY for example, in 2000, and remained as a resident of TX, the VP from 2001-2005 might well have become Sen. Joe Lieberman, given how the election turned out, considering the TX electors would have had to choose between voting for President Bush or VP Cheney.

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As John McLaughlin might say, at least as of Monday, about Gov. Eliot Spitzer, "Bye-BYE!"

Ed