1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured NYC Policeman Not Indicted in Chokehold Death; Protests Called

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you got it right RD2. I am a Godless fortune telling Black Panther. Any other Christian labels you would like to add to my growing title.

2. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Public street execution?

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you should know that 6 people get in each other's way more than anything else. Police officers are trained to put a person resisting arrest on the ground. the takedown was well done.

You're calling the cop a murderer based on a video in which you can't see what took place once he was on the ground. Why do you think he was able to talk so clearly he could be heard several feet away, above all the other noise. You ever try to talk while you're in a choke hold. I believe the hold was released once he was on the ground.

One thing I know for sure is the grand jury had more information at their disposal than the amateur detectives here on the board. Myself included.

But it's obvious to anyone that's paying attention that he did not die from the choke hold.

4. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The medical examiner disagrees with you. Thus labeling it a homicide.

By the way you can talk if it isn't completely sunk in. Especially on a guy with a thick neck like that. You can see him choking him on the ground too.

The Grand Jury had the same video we did. This isn't people guessing at what might have happened like Michael Brown we actually saw it.

Oh, and I'm not calling him a murderer either so let's not force feed words into my mouth ok. This is just reckless incompetence.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Previously on Baptist Board...

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's not calling him a murderer? It's everything but saying the words.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He and I are in perfect agreement. It was a homicide. His death was caused by another person or persons.

But nowhere that I have seen did he say that he died from being strangled to death.

If he did, show it to me.

8. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You had made the comment that he knew what was coming for his behavior. My comment was a generalization of what's been happening across the country recently.

9. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The medical examiner said compression of the neck and chest, along with Garner's positioning on the ground while being restrained by police during the July 17 stop on Staten Island, caused his death."

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...Staten-Island-Medical-Examiner-269396151.html

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunk in? You're kidding. If it's killing him, you don't think it's "sunk in"? that's ridiculous. If he could talk clearly, he wasn't being choked down.

For a moment, once on the ground. you could see him attempting to put a choke hold on him, and then the crowd closed in and you don't have a clue what happened then. After the crowd closed is was when he said clearly that he couldn't breathe. The choke hold had been released.

11. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've participated in submission grappling in the army as well as local BJJ gyms in Hampton Roads. Depending on how tight it is you don't necessarily go completely mute. It also doesn't mean the choke is ineffective. I can lock up a choke on a smaller grappler to the point where they can't talk but sometimes thicker grappling partners mean that I can't cinch the choke in as tight. They still tap though.

If the crowd closed in and we couldn't see what happened then how do you know the hold was released?

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Laughable. He died because he was choked to death.

He was alive and just fine until being choked to death.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not very specific, is he. It sounds more like positional asphyxiaction than strangulation. No wonder he was no billed.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because he spoke loudly and clearly and Because he didn't die of strangulation. Other factors were involved and may have had more effect that the choke hold. You said it yourself. Look how big his neck was. Difficult to choke him down enough to both kill him and leave him room to talk at the same time. Positional asphyxiation can kill him easier than a choke hold. Releasing the hold would have no effect on his position.

#74 carpro, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I didn't realize you were there!

16. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Compression of the neck was the first thing listed. That is the choke. He choked him, he fell, and he died. I don't know what else to tell you. Positional or not he put him in the position with the choke and the guy died. That is strangulation. I find it curious that you are interested in quibbling over this.

#76 Use of Time, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  17. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you can kind of watch the whole thing go down from beginning to end can't you?

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was listed first doen't matter unless you can show me where the M.E. gave that condition more weight than the others.

It's not quibbling to defend someone the grand jury has no billed, but people here are insisting he should be charged with murder. The grand jury had all available evidence and we don't. So I don't mind defending him at all.

Besides, I have considerable experience at handcuffing people that are resisting, and 400 lb men can be a huge problem. (no pun intended) Most hand restraints won't even go around his wrists. In addition, I know what positional asphyxiation is and how it kills. A small man can die from it, but a big guy like the subject here is a far greater risk and it's much quicker. Especially when he has other health issues.

But, I've said about all that can be said in his defense and I'm in agreement with the only people that had all the evidence. Anything further is useless arguing.

I will add this: This officer needs to be disciplined by NYPD up to and including termination for violating department policy and in doing so, may have contributed to the unintended death of a suspect. It is possible the rest of the officers involved may neeed disciplining as well. But I'd need more info to jump on that particular bandwagon.

19. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody has called for him to be charged with murder. Negligent manslaughter is probably worth an indictment at least though. The fact that it never went to court is crazy. Agreed though the NYPD probably ought to handle this in some fashion.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After watching the video again, it is confirmed that the choke hold was released within seconds of when he was put on the ground. When he was complaining that he could not breath, the officer that had applied the choke hold is clearly visable with his back to the camera holding the suspects head down. He clearly does not have him in a choke hold. He has the number 99 on the back of a green jersey.

It is absolutely crystal clear that the suspect is speaking and no choke hold is being applied.

The grand jury got it right.