1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

O.K. Now that you have this fine education,

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Plain Old Bill, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't know you, and don't do crusades anyway, so that wouldn't work out very well I don't think.

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

[​IMG] Spoken like a true politician!

I think you know what point I was driving at. Hypothetically, if you did do revivals, you wouldn't do one with me! ;)

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

There was nothing political about what I said. I meant it. I don't know you. How would I possibly know whether or not I would have an ecclesiastical affiliation with you? You want me to be what you think is a typical fundamenatalist ... someone who doesn't think through the issues before speaking. You want me to make a decision without all the information. But you need to know that there are a lot of us fundamentalists who refuse to do that. We wait until we have the information before we make a decision.

It also doensn't make much sense to answer a hypothetical.

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

[​IMG] Are you sure you're not running for office?

Larry, we've had enough exchanges on BB for you to have formed an opinion. Let's just say I won't be getting an invitation to speak at your church any time soon! [​IMG]

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Honestly, Paul, there are issues that concern me, but I really don't have an informed opinion so I refuse to be trapped into that. I don't know, and it makes no sense to try to answer a hypothetical.

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

The concept of this thread has convicted me!

Of myself I say, "Ever learning but never doing."

I'm an old man and need to get going!

Bill

7. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lighten up, guys. Is it OK for a fundamentalist to have fun?

My favorite story about separation was in a small group bible study I had years ago. One guy, who is VERY intelligent and a good Christian, also happens to get emotional about certain beliefs. In discussing one particular doctrine, I suggested that there are differing opinions within Christianity. My friend kept getting more and more excited at the idea that there could be someone who disagreed with him. He got more and more upset, finally blurting out "THOSE GUYS CAUSE DIVISION, AND I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM!!"

I smiled to myself at the obvious contradiction, and quietly changed to subject. I wonder what things I'm equally blind about.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Good for you UZThd.May you be blessed.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What obvious contradiction? Without knowing the doctrines at stake, Paul was clear that the people who teach what the Bible does not are the ones causing the division. It is not the ones "who have nothing to do" with false teachers who are divisive. That often gets overlooked, but it is right there in Rom 16:17-18.

No doubt we all have our blind spots and need to be careful. But let's not avoid division when it is truly necessary.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey All,

Where do I go to sign up for that "Ever learning but never doing" club that UZThD is starting?

sdg!

rd

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Rhet

Let's sign up on our knees. I'll pray for you, and you for me.

Thankyou LORD for what we've learned. Help us find people and places to serve. Use us despite our age.

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And ALL OF GOD'S PEOPLE SAID, AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZThD,

We have all the credentials needed--now lets produce.

Amen!

sdg!

rd

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member

15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Ditto. Guys like Machen. </font>[/QUOTE]Having come late to this thread, please allow me to sift these comments and offer a few of my own observations. Fundamentalists of the old school seem to get a lot of bad press nowadays. They are caricatured as divisive, ignorant and divisive. Although I obviously did not know the first generation (I’m not that old!) of Fundamentalists, I did know some of the second generation who knew the first. The men whom I knew were kind, gracious and godly men. They fought for issues, ideas and truth but they never entered into a vindictive, personal attack on a brother. Machen, whom Paul mentioned, was not a Fundamentalist although he was orthodox and an ally of Fundamentalism. However, he exemplified the conduct of a gentleman of breeding and character that was characteristic of this period. Machen strongly argued and defended truth but he rose above inconsequential striving. The early Fundamentalists were gentleman of the same high caliber.

It was probably in the third generation of so-called Fundamentalists that personal vindictiveness and bitter dissention prevailed. Little preachers trying to achieve status abused the Biblical doctrine of separation. They tried to boost their own spiritual standing and fame by bashing another brother. They settled petty personal issues by appealing to separation principles. The early fundamentalists separated from others, even rank liberals, because truth and Scripture demanded it. They did it with sorrow, weeping and broken hearts. It was after a long, hard struggle to bring others into the right course that separation occurred. On the other hand, some of the later Fundamentalists quickly chopped off their own Bible-believing brethren right and left with glee for the most trivial reasons. They massacred their own wounded.

Furthermore, many of the later Fundamentalists separated for self-serving reasons rather than truth and Biblical mandate. When invited to preach in some places, their message was almost invariably separation with each vying to go farther than the other. In certain quarters of IFB even today, spitefulness and hateful preaching are almost considered badges of distinction. They boast of “hard preaching.” For the most part, it is not hard preaching but it is petty-fogging self-serving meanness. Unfortunately, it has left the critics with a mean, hateful caricature of Fundamentalism in general and IFB in particular.

In case you wonder where I stand, I will state that I strongly hold to Biblical separation from Modernism, Liberalism, and Neo-evangelicalism. On the other hand, I do not spend my time bashing people in these camps. If an issue arises, I meet it head-on. There are times when we must separate from a believing brother—e.g. if he is unruly or divisive or a fornicator. My friend Bob was a high roller. He liked to take me with him to swanky events to meet important people. Yet, I eventually had to cool off our friendship and quit going places with him because he flaunted open sin in his life. Was he saved? Yes, I believe so. God, I believe, later judged him through sickness and death. I tried to lead him back into fellowship and a walk with God but he chose his own path. I could not travel with him along the same path without loss of testimony and my own spiritual detriment.

The main problem today, IMHO, is that folks have a very hard time separating issues from the person. Our psychological society is personality driven. People take it personally when you attack their ideas. Conversely, people attack you instead of your ideas and beliefs. Thus, it is difficult to maintain a rational debate of ideas with most moderns—even educated ones. Personality and ego should be left in the background when pursuing truth.

16. Plain Old Bill

Sadly Paidagogos you have painted the picture with an accurate eye. That is why I refer back to the fundamentalisn of R.A. Torrey and the men who wrote "The Fundamentals".

17. Plain Old Bill

For those who are extrremely well qualified to minister but are now at an advanced age please allow me to offer an idea or two for ministry.
    Rest homes and retirement homes always welcome Bible teachers and preachers.These people cannot get out to church and for the most part the church has left them.A good sermon or Bible lesson is very much appreciated.A little bit of personal time with a touch on the shoulder or just holding thier hand you give them will probably be all of the human contact they have from an outsider.You will be thier only visitor and they will look forward to seeing you and hearing you teach or preach.
    Letters and Bible lessons to prisoners on death row in prisons will change lives.These men and women have done thier worst deeds and many are ready to come to Christ and be discipled.You may be thier only outside contact.
    Find out who is sick or hurting in your church and go visit, that will help the hurting person and will ease the burden on your pastor.
    Here is an easy one, ask your pastor what you can do. There is no job in the church that is beneath a man with the heart of a servant.
    Pray for the people on this board daily.
    Look for opportunities to do personal evangelism, more people are won to Christ by one on one witnessing then in the pulpit.
    Start a Bible study group at a senior center.
    Just my two cents worth.

18. Plain Old Bill

Two more ideas pop into my head.Plant a church . Start it out of your home.
    With all of you credentials and background you could ban together and start an online "Preachers Academy".Put together a curriculum that would teach a young(or old) man what he needed to learn to become a pastor,evangelist,or missionary. Surely there are more than twoo of you out there and there certainly is a need. Nobody needs to get a degree,you can offer a diploma or certificate of completion.I am sure there is enough qualified talent on this board to do just such a thing.

19. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZThD (and all other academics),

I am concerned that the tone (and maybe tome) of these discussions has left you and me UZThD (and all others who have an academic bent).

For us to produce is the proverbial "horse of a different color" ministry wise--I believe.

What this chance to produce looks like for us may not even be considered "real ministry" to those others on this thread or even the BB. We want to teach young people in college, seminary, or grad school levels (I think?). We want to write, reserach, preach, & teach. And in my case, I want to "do missions" in the summers when college is not in session. (I have just returned from a 12 day teaching juncket to Montana). I am sure that there are others of us who read the BB and this thread who might want this word of clarification. And, by the by, all mission's trips are not to necessarily to do evangelization?!

I am also persuaded that those of us who are involved in the Academy are also "serving the Lord" in a real and productive way in our local churches; probably in ways of leadership, preaching, teaching, and such.

I thought this might be a word well timed. I also believe that it would bring about more discussion as to what ministry is/is not in all of its facets.

sdg!

rd

20. Plain Old Bill

Amen! Go for it!