1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama and Herd Mentality

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The day after Thanksgiving [Black Friday] a man working in a Walmart store was trampled to death by hundreds of people seeking bargains, particularly in electronics. A psychiatrist attributed this death to peoples fascination with the latest technological device, their desire to save a little, and a herd mentality egged on by a few in the crowd.

Admittedly Obama was a charismatic speaker but if one listened closely he never said anything of substance. Is it possible that the election of Obama was the result of the same herd mentality exhibited at the Walmart store?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am proud, very proud, to be a member of the herd of that elected our next president - Barack Obama.

And I hope that my herd continues to frustrate the electoral goals of the right-wingers in this country.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9htwW21K8s

4. OldRegular

You appear to be in good company!:laugh: Ref. Revmitchell's response.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

6. OldRegular

Hit it right on the nose!

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say not only possible, but extremely probable; especially considering the admission of Ken!:BangHead::thumbs:

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It is just too much for the neocon mind to comprehend that people voted for Obama because they preferred his vision of America over that of his opponent. Or that McCain ran a pitiful campaign of attack and slander, and showed lack of judgment with the Caribou Barbie selection.

I am proud of the John McCain who fought for America, the same one who reappeared in the concession speech. The McCain of the campaign I found to be unstable and clueless.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree MP, I don't know who that McCain was during the election but he wasn't the moderate American I always knew and loved. He was so indecisive and changed directions by the hour.

What's funny to me, had McCain has won we'd be charting a similar course as Obama and Bush. I don't see McCain "doing nothing" in the name of free market capitalism while the countries economics flushes down the bowl.

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Obama was the result of the electorate seeing him as a change in direction from the disastrous policies of George Bush. It had nothing to do with Walmart.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I don't care what the reason was, I'm just glad that Barack won and the right-wingers are crying in their beer over it.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't think it's necessariliy true. Reason why I think this is 7 out of ten Americans polled have a negative view of Republicans, yet Obama did not garner overwhelming support. He seemed to peak at the low - mid 50s, and consistently stayed in the 40s. He trailed a fair amount of the election until McCain's botched "campaign suspension" ploy. I said all along that Obama should've gotten 60% of the popular vote given the current state of the GOP. So I don't necessarily think there's a herd mentality. If you are arguing that Americans are superficial and some supported Obama because of this, I'd agree. I would also argue that some supported McCain for similar reasons.

Let the hacks hack away now. :thumbs:

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I will bite, Obama had the highest popular vote than any president since Reagan's second run where he had 58.77%. Reagan had only 50.75% on his first turn and we know how popular he was. 60%, has any president but LBJ ever gotten that much of the popular vote?

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I think what happened was that both the Democratic and the Republican candidates openly and actively ran against George Bush's record. I don't know whether I've ever seen this done as vigorously by the incumbent party nominee as did McCain. If the Democratic candidate had been McCarthy or Robert Kennedy in 1968 instead of Humphrey I think we would have seen a similar attempt to put as much distance as possible between the candidate and the incumbent. What happened to Humphrey who really was an excellent candidate would probably have happened to any other Republican nominee other than McCain.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You have to admit, that picture of McCain hugging Bush was classic. That and the clip with McCain bragging about his 90% loyalty rating.

I thought McCain should have campaigned that the economy wasn't Bush' fault, he had a plan to get the economy moving then latched on to all of Bush's successes like 9/11 and how "safe" America has been. I kow that's tough when your parties position is to do nothing, but he should have sold doing nothing as the right thing to do. Like the GOP folks do here.

In short, I don't think he got his monies worth out of his campaign advisor's.

16. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right and I am glad the "Bush herd" is leaving town. They have really messed up the farm.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Sorry to disappoint you Ken but I do not drink beer and the crying I am doing is for the Church that has sold it's soul for personal satisfaction and not for the protection of life. However, if I were a beer drinker I'd rather be crying in it than to be crying over God's chastening rod.

Harden not your heart Ken, [personal attack snipped]

#17 Palatka51, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
  18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ever watch a herd of anything? spent a lot of time on the farm, have watched herds many times(mostly cows, but have seen sheep too), especially when one decided to go through the fence, they all go, a herd is easily lead, takes nothing meaningful to lead a herd, it always looks better on the other side of the fence but in actuality they aren't gaining anything by going through the fence, a herd flocks together, but don't be fooled thats it's a one for all attitude(3 muskateers they ain't), because it isn't, the only goal of a herd is personal, based in greed, it's an all for me and no one else mindset of the herd that drives them, they do nothing for each other or anyone else outside the herd, only for themself. And of course they are easily lead back into the fence, because no matter who or what the herd is, they are always easily lead.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

a herd doesn't 'mess up' a farm, the farmer does it by not tending to it, and leading his herd where he wants it to be, they are easily controled, and the new farmer has lead his herd down a path full of pit falls, where all will be hurt, and new members will be murdered.

#19 donnA, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
  20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the head of the present herd really messed it up big time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.