1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Appointee a Failure

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jan 1, 2009.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=41360

Schools Led by Obama's Education Secretary Designee Failed No-Child-Left-Behind Standard for Five Years

Wednesday, December 31, 2008
    By Matt Hadro

(CNSNews.com) – The Chicago Public Schools, whose superintendent, Arne Duncan, has been tapped by President-elect Barack Obama to be the next education secretary, failed to meet the Illinois state standards set under the No Child Left Behind Act for the last five years.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm guessing you didn't read the entire story...

Where they failed was in subgroups broke down in demographics...

I guess they can kick out the disabled students since they are bringing the numbers down.... (J/K)...

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the performance record of the man chosen to LEAD America's education efforts.

Looks more like a reward for cronyism.

Shameful.

#3 carpro, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite frankly, the NCLB law is an unattainable standard that has been forced on local districts by an overbearing and overreaching federal government.

The law eventually requires 100% of students to meet the standards. That means every school will eventually fail to meet the standards. Those schools that "fail" are given federal oversite.

It is designed to put every school in the country under the control of the federal government.

It was a bad law. It should never have been passed.

peace to you:praying:

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So sayeth the NEA.

Most schools are performing at satisfactory levels. Maybe Obama could have found an administrator that was succeeding at an admittedly tough job rather than failing.

The price of cronyism.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I still say according to your article it is not the overall Chicago school system that is failing but specific subgroups that bring the rest of the system down. Not bad in my view for the 3rd largest school system in the nation. The question really is how does Chicago stack up to NY and LA. I guess you have your agenda.

Also, Obama said in his campaign that NCLB had the funding left behind when it was instituted. How can we say the Children need to do better then not fund the programs that will help them improve. I'm like Candy in saying the programs is too much Gov intervention but we'll see if it does any better with more dollars.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We know but if Hitler were a Democrat you would still say he was for the working man.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You saying he didn't put his country to work? With the exception of Jews, I don't think they had unemployment. It certainly wasn't a problem... :thumbsup:

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I know. Let's just set aside that pesky Jew thing. :rolleyes: That way we can find some redeeming compliments to say about Hitler. So long as the majority had their pockets filled then the slaughter of millions of Jews can be forgiven or overlooked. I see a consistent view here in America today with regards to the unborn.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Yep, that would be my view as well.

Hitler did put people to work. Slave labor will get roads built, bombs made, ships floating, planes flying and rockets drooping on London. Then the populace would be freed from such duties to man all the ships, planes and tanks that HItler could hurl at the allies.

And now that this nation is nationalizing its industry and banks, are we not very far from the Germany of 1933? It is time for every able American to voice their displeasure about the direction this nation is taking.

11. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Let's face the truth which is...... the government really has little use for smart people except as how they can be used and a servant to the will of leadership:

In all the areas of building, law enforcement, military, floating ships, making widgets..... a robotic population just follows orders, whether good or bad, whether right or wrong, or variable. Little robots is what the schools are turning out, programmed to follow orders. It is those who challenge authority, who ask questions, who report negative results and observations, who expose a lie......... who are the troublemakers. The education system is now working to dumb us all down to be the resource which is most productive for good little government robots and who will accept the jobs to which the government has prepared us for and assigned us to.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Careful, with that attitude you'll never be invited to speak at a skinhead convention... :thumbsup: :laugh:

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I see your point but don't think it's all true... We just buried a true American hero code named deep throat who exposed the largest government corruption ever. You are only a robot if you choose to be a robot.

I don't think it's "those who challenge authority, who ask questions, who report negative results and observations, who expose a lie who are the troublemakers." I believe it's how you go about it that gets you classified a troublemaker. There is a right way and wrong way to do everything. Doing the right thing the wrong way invalidates your right thing...

14. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

You miss the point: Education today is not about teaching kids to think: Its not even about teaching them the basics like a store clerk I encountered recently running a cash register.... who couldn't subtract 67cents from a dollar and return me the change: He needed the calculator which the other clerk had use of at the moment. A pencil and paper would do him no good. ........ Yet 100 to 1 the guy wouldn't have his job if he didn't have a highschool diploma! I read somewhere where a man trained in the police academy and was concerned about his grade on a 50 point test which he was required to pass. He scored 36 points and thought he'd failed so wasn't surprised when he found out that he was passed over for the jobs which were offered. Then he got the news that he was over qualified: His score was much too high and the force had found that students which scored in the range of something like 22-27 made much better officers....... they followed orders without question. (Part of it also was that they were less apt to register or reveal initial observations of variance which could cause a challenge in a court trying to convict. And they were less apt to challenge another officer in the field which an objective observer might have judged as unprofessional.)

No, I cannot agree that when a child is taught in the public schools where there are discipline problems, where the success of educational goals and learning objectives are based upon standards of mediocrity, and he is not challenged with problem solving, that he has really been helped in possessing the tools which make not being a robot a choice which he can make.

#14 windcatcher, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
  15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I understand what you're saying but your point is like blaming the Preacher when a soul goes to hell. There have been many public school graduates who went on to be very successful in intellectually challenging fields.

16. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Yes, isn't it amazing? There will always be some who escape the limitations of their environment......hmmmmm .........education.

Thank God for good parents, good genes, and the influences of a few good people which includes some good teachers (in spite of the difficulties they have to surmount).

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The education system is so bad that , in order to become a productive citizen, many young people have to excel in spite of the education system, not because of it.

Evidently , Obama intends to continue down the failure road.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

As long as we have the poor among us we will always have a public school system. You know, for the ones who don't pay taxes yet reap the benefits of taxes paid which is not called spreading the wealth so I'm not sure what you call it.

And according to Jesus, we'll always have poor...

19. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The requirements go up every year. Eventually, all schools will be required to have 100% of students reading at grade level, doing math at grade level, etc.... or face federal oversite.

That is an impossible standard to meet. The law is designed to put all school districts under federal control.

The supposed alternative of school vouchers will never be provided.

peace to you:praying:

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Largest government corruption ever? Puh-leeze! [​IMG]