1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Attended Hate America Sermon by Wright

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by leesw, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

It's often the lack of motivation to perserver that keeps people from moving forward. It doesn't matter what their race might be. A lot of people want something for nothing and will support those in politics they think will get it for them. Those people that succeed - regardless what their race might be - are often those they just kept trying inspite of the challenges. They overcome the obstacles and get themselves out the ruts that would otherwise entrap them for a lifetime.

Be prepared for me to jump back because I'm not shy about my observations in this life. I'm certainly not going to apologize for nor make excuses for the reality around me.

#81 Dragoon68, Mar 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I don't think so! He tried to make excuses and appease those who see a problem and those who do not. It was probably skillful from the standpoint of oration - to those who are enthralled by such - but empty of meaningful content to many others. It confirmed that he was very much aware of his pastor's views and not troubled enough about them to disassociate himself from him. It confirmed that he has one standard of conduct for others and another for himself with respect to what's tolerable in the realm of verbalizing racial bias. It confirms that he believes more government intervention is needed to "solve" the aledged racial issues in this country which translates to more regulations, more taxes, more entitlements, more dependancy, more racial tension, and less individual liberty and responsibility.

3. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

You don't think that his speech included points of view from all sides of the racial issue...or you don't think that there IS still a racial issue? I understand that you're saying that you think his speech was a political oratory (as I happen to agree about ALL political speeches), but I'm not sure if you're saying that you don't think he addressed the issue...or that you don't think that there even IS an issue. Could you clarify?

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I think the speech reflected Obama's view by which he seeks to use race as a means to buy votes.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without a doubt!:thumbs:

6. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Thanks for clarifying....this is the unfortunate case with all politicians (that I know of) and all issues--they beat whichever drum to whatever tune "plays best" in the stadium where they currently find themselves. It's true of racist blacks, racist whites....or racist pink polka-dotted blues.

The problem for me is that I think Obama's speech was brilliant and RIGHT (although--yes--I agree he glossed over the personal stuff to his advantage). Race IS an issue--as evidenced by the sensitive/potential firestorm subject it has been this ENTIRE election cycle. It takes the kind of vision and "plain-talk" that comprised much of Obama's speech--but from a person who CAN walk-the-walk. I don't think Obama CAN at this point in his life (if ever?-- I don't know).

As Bitsy pointed out on one of these threads (this one, another one?? I can't keep up with them all! :laugh: ), only God can heal these deep, deep wounds and bridge this racial divide. He may choose to do it through a president in a first-of-a-lifetime election....or He may choose instead to do it through many "average folk" living their "little" lives day in and day out.

I guess my main point, though, is that a common misconception kept rearing its strange head in all these threads, though--that racism (from whites towards blacks) was somehow a thing of the past, and therefore Rev. Wright was just a hate-filled out-of-touch, racist black man (which he may well be) looking for a handout for no good reason. I just wanted to point out to those who may truly NOT know--racism IS, unfortunately, alive and well, and living in the hearts--and everyday lives of MANY white folks. Not as many as 20-30 years ago, but many, nonetheless. White racism doesn't EXCUSE black racism....but it does inform it, explain it, and provide it the stage it needs to play on. :tear:

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that Senator Obama's speech will be regarded as the most important on race relations in the early part of the 21st century, solidified by a solid eight years as our president where progress is finally made in these United States after 8 years of incompetence - domestically and internationally - by the likes of Bush - Cheney - McCain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That you can't see the past the few that refuse to help themselves, which has nothing at all to do with race, and see the systemic racism that exists in places we don't like to admit only means that you will continue to be a part of the problem that Obama so eloquently spoke of in the aforementioned speech rather then the solution.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Well, I respect your right to an opinion, but nope, I'm not part of any problem that Obama spoke about and, again, I feel no guilt on this subject!

Obama would like to make all white people - the "typical white person" as he said - responsible for the problems of all black people. He would like to transfer responsibility from one to another. He would like to expand the transfer of wealth from those who earn it to those that won't through more taxes that create more government that generates more dependency of those to whom it will provide.
    He wishes to continue the tales of old to keep and grow his own base of power. He knows that the concept of liberating the oppressed will sell to a large audience and that many who oppose are tongue tied to speak out against in today's world.

We're each responsible for ourselves and in this country we still have the liberty, opportunity, and security to pursue our success or failure. That's the real solution that far too many people don't want to accept.

Too many black people seem willing to blame their problems on "rich white men" as Wright puts it. It has more to do with an acquired culture than the race to which one is born because the same disease infects all without regard to color. White, black, brown, yellow, mixed, or whatever are fundamentally the same creatures created by the same one God. But blacks in America today are still plagued with hideous black leaders - and white ones as well - who continue to hold so many of their followers captive to the struggles of generations long past.

Obama's speech was far for eloquent! It was riddled with his own misunderstanding of racial bias and reflects the black liberation theology - a spin off of the black power movement - he's learned and endorsed from he likes of Wright. It really helped to make visible to all what he's really about!

Prior to all this I thought of Obama as a "typical liberal Democratic" - race wasn't an issue for me - but now I know him as a "typical black racist" but only a lot more smooth talking than some of his predecessors.

11. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And progress would be what in your eyes?

Remove the ban on partial birth murders?

Appoint more pro-murder judges?

Push for special rights to those who want to have their sins recognized and accepted as morally ok?

Pulling out of Iraq and letting the slaughter of tens of thousands to begin?

Cuddling up to Iran and asking them to be nice to Israel and the USA?

Having the american tax payer pay higher taxes to pay for more wonderfully managed government programs?

How wonderful is the "progress" Obama's congregation has made in bringing whites and blacks together in the love of Christ.

God Bless! :praying:

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey Ken, did you vote for Bush?

God Bless!

13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I can't speak for Ken, but I voted for Gore and then for Kerry. I'd as soon cut my hand off as I would vote for Bush.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tell me how you have personally suffered from a Bush policy.

God Bless!

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. And the Republicans, due to their continued war making and saber rattling and domestic spying, have lost a vote for president in 2008 and the Democrats have gained one in my case. I've had more than enough.

In 2000 I wanted a change from the Clinton administration and then candidate George W. Bush promised a more humble foreign policy and no nation building.

In 2004 I thought that surely President Bush would have removed most of our troops from Iraq by the 2006 election.

#95 KenH, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So when you rave about how great a president Obama will be you could be wrong again?

We really can't predict the future, can we Ken? No one knew 911 was coming nor knew how the sitting president would respond.

Did you support going into Afganistan after 911? Careful now, you are against war, right?

God bless! :thumbs:

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And remember also Ken, the democrats beat the drums for ending the war in Iraq two years ago and after the people fell for it and they took over the congress, well, what happened?

NOTHING! The democrats still kept the war going and the people looked like fools for believing their rhetoric!

You really believe Obama can step into the seat and just like that wave a majic wand and all the complex troubles abroad will be bliss? You really believe the war in Iraq will be ended by Obama?

He says he is going to bring the troops out, just like that, no consulting the commanders in the battle, no wise advisors to ask first, he just simply is going to do it!

God Bless! :thumbs:

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I never claimed that George W. Bush would be worth a flip as president.

2) Yes, I did. Al Qaeda(the group that attacked these United States on 9/11/2001) and its Taliban allies were/are located there.

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So what if the Al Quaeda and Taliban allies were there. They weren't on our soil. The one's who came here were killed. Isn't our fault for not keeping our guard up and letting them breech our boarders?

Why would you go to war when you know innocent lives will be killed? I thought you were against going to war in foriegn lands?

God Bless! :thumbs:

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you don't know me very well.