1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama: Black Churches Preach 'Homophobic Messages'

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 29, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200805/CUL20080529a.html

Obama Praised Wright, Criticized Traditional Black Churches on Homosexuality

By Penny Starr
    CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
    May 29, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - In an Apr. 10 interview with The Advocate magazine, Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) said "homophobic" messages are coming from the pulpits of black churches because "most African-American churches are still fairly traditional in their interpretations of Scripture." In the same interview, Obama praised the controversial Rev. Jeremiah Wright, his former pastor and long-time spiritual adviser, for being on the right side of the homosexual debate.

SNIP

Black leaders and clergy reacted to Obama's remarks to The Advocate, saying they contradict the fundamentals of the Christian faith.
    "The new definition of 'homophobic' means anyone who stands against homosexuality as a sin is homophobic," Rev. Ken Hutcherson, founder and senior pastor of Antioch Bible Church in Redmond, Wash., told Cybercast News Service. "That gives two choices to African-American pastors. They can either be Scriptural and demand righteousness from their flock, or they can drop Scripture and righteousness and support homosexuality."

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, now he wants to modernize scripture to suit him and the changing society.

Not distancing himself very far is he?

Since obama said homosexuality is not immoral, I supose he prefers to drop scripture, since scripture is abominate that homosexuality is sin.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly Obama is a heretic (Is 5:20, Prov 17:15)

"he who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the righteous, both of them are alike an abomination to the Lord"

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe casting a vote for Obama would be a sin?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

If you take all his anti christian views and opinions, which as we see in the other thread about him voting to not give health care to a new born child, saying homosexuality is immoral, expecting churches to change what they preach and support homosexuality, then yes I'd say it is a sin to support this man in anything. He is evil by biblical standards.

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I'm very pleased to note this reaction from these Christians!

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==For a Christian who knows what Obama stands for, I suppose it very well might be a sin. The problem with most Americans, and westerners in general, is that emotion and feelings rule the day. They don't take the time to examine the facts. Obama gives a good, emotion packed speech and they are sold. Sadly modern evangelicals are no exception to this trend.

For example, I keep hearing people say all these good things a President Obama would do and I just want to ask them how do you know he will do those things? We have no basis in fact to believe he will. First, he is a politician and politicians are on about the same level as snake oil salesmen. They promise everyone what they want to hear to get elected and, when they get elected, they have little to no intention of fulfilling those promises. Second, Obama has no real record. We don't know that much about his actual style of government. What we do know, however, is that he may not be as bipartisan as he wants everyone to believe he is. More than one person has pointed out that Clinton is more bipartisan than Obama has been in his short career. So really, at the end of the day, it is a trust issue. Based on feelings, emotions, and the concept of change, they were willing to elect this man to the most powerful office on this planet. They are willing to trust him because he makes them feel good and tells them what they want to hear. Personally I believe that is dangerous. Maybe I have become way too jaded when it comes to politicians but, for me, actions are more important than words.

8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

100% absolutely.

A vote for this man is a vote for child murder and gay marriage. And anyone who votes for him is condoning it.

You cant vote for a man, and then deny that you support his policies.

When you vote for the man, you are in fact, voting for his policies and political agenda as well.

People keep saying that we are electing a president and not a pastor.

Let me just say this......the president doesnt preach on sunday but he does lead a rather large flock. And if this country wants to be blessed by God then it has to return to some degree of biblical morality. We are heading in the opposite direction, and, I beleive losing favor with God.

AJ

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not a sin to vote for Senator Obama any more than it is a sin to vote for Senator JSM III.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't notice the date of the interview, did you?

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not too jaded.

Obama's actions speak of a non-Christion while his rhetoric is mesmerizing to many who call themselves Christians.

"And they shall know you by your fruits..."

Edited only to clear up the quote

#11 carpro, May 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008